Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #21
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Mobile 1 for me.

Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Tom S
Reloading press. I make those, along with powder measures, dies, rim fire tuners, scope rings, etc for benchrest shooters, and other target shooters.
What a way to make a living.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #23
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I use Case/IH Number 1, 0W-40 Synthetic. Fantastic oil in the cold North Dakota winters and great in the hot summer. I generally change oil at 12,000. A buddy has an 04 6.0 as well and goes to about 15-20,000 using the Case/IH oil with periodic sampling. It is very spendy oil but well worth it. I also use nothing but Fleetguard filters for oil and fuel.

http://www.caseih.com/files/tbl_s33P...UNTERSU04C.PDF
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the Dodge but I'd bet this topic is similar for your Ford and the GM's as well. The Dodge manual says very specifically to NOT use synthetic until the engine has 30,000 miles on it. It says if you use it sooner the engine will not properly break in.

Since breakin requires friction, which means wear, that tells me synthetic oil does, as advertised, significantly reduce friction/wear. Otherwise you could use it from day one and the engine would properly break in.

In both this Dodge and in my prior Ford diesel when the engine passed 30,000 miles I switched to Rotella T synthetic. I read on this forum many times where someone says "it's cheap insurance." That's pretty much how I feel about synthetic oil, too. Works for me, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I agree with you Steve. I've read on several forums diesel engines require 30,000 mi for break-in, and is advised not to switch to synthetic till then.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #26
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Mobil One in my 8.1 Gas
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #27
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I have the Dodge but I'd bet this topic is similar for your Ford and the GM's as well. The Dodge manual says very specifically to NOT use synthetic until the engine has 30,000 miles on it. It says if you use it sooner the engine will not properly break in.

Since breakin requires friction, which means wear, that tells me synthetic oil does, as advertised, significantly reduce friction/wear. Otherwise you could use it from day one and the engine would properly break in.

In both this Dodge and in my prior Ford diesel when the engine passed 30,000 miles I switched to Rotella T synthetic. I read on this forum many times where someone says "it's cheap insurance." That's pretty much how I feel about synthetic oil, too. Works for me, anyhow.
Steve, that's interesting. I don't know about Ford, but GM has no such wording in their manual, only that the oil meets the standards required for diesel engines. Several high performance car come with synthetic oil from the factory and are recommended by Mercedes Benz. The break in of old was required because machining left surfaces that on a microscopic level were still rough and uneven. Over the course of the engine's life, parts worn in to each other, smoothing these areas out. Remember, it was also common for the factory to recommend you drive at various speeds and change the oil after as little as 1000 miles. Modern machining tools, methods and materials have all but eliminated the need for these practices. I don't know what to make of Cat/Chrysler's recommendations.

BTW: Good to see you back Steve!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:33 AM   #28
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
IMO would recommend spending the extra money in OIL ANALYSIS versus synthetic. Choose a quality oil and filter and stick with them. Pick from one of the many services available online and sample at suggested intervals to start. The data collected will be very helpful in predicting failures beyond oil related wear such as high silica content, internal antifreeze leaks and fuel dilution just to mention a few. Once the data base is built you can use the information to extend or shorten service intervals. It's also very helpful at times when troubleshooting operating problems.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote