Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Montana_1138
Established Member

M.O.C. #1138
Broken spring links

I have a friend with a 201, 3280. After arriving in Florida from N.Y. state, he discovered one end of the front spring on the door side was riding on the frame. The suppot link has worn through at the bolt hole. He replaced them with a kit from Dexter, which has links about twice as thick as the OEM's, and the bolts have grease fittings. I checked my own unit, a 2001, 2955RL, and there is slight wear on the same front, door side link. I plan to replace mine this summer when I return north from the sunny, cloudless south.

Montana_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Seems to have been a big problem on some Montanas.I also have a 2001 3280 RL.I have the updated shackles from Decter.They are beefer thats for sure.I have no wear as of yet.But i will be replacing in the very near future.I`am just going to change them out before I see any wear.Better to be safe then sorry.

So its not an uncommon accurance.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
YEP! My 2001 3280RL had a similar problem (not quite worn through) and I replaced them with the Dexter greasable kit. You can search "shackles" and find more than you ever wanted to know.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by farriswheels

I have a friend with a 201, 3280. After arriving in Florida from N.Y. state, he discovered one end of the front spring on the door side was riding on the frame. The support link has worn through at the bolt hole. He replaced them with a kit from Dexter, which has links about twice as thick as the OEM's, and the bolts have grease fittings. I checked my own unit, a 2001, 2955RL, and there is slight wear on the same front, door side link. I plan to replace mine this summer when I return north from the sunny, cloudless south.
Farriswheels,
The shackles can be very hard to see exactly how much wear they have on them. Don't wait too long until you replace them. I've posted a bunch of pictures about the shackles on my PictureTrail link. Please check it out if you get a chance. One member actually had his wheels fall off! Thank goodness he just happened to be home when it happened. That is what got me to looking at mine.

And as has already been posted...... there are several really good discussions on this issue about a year or so old. Just do the search thing and I'm sure you'll find something.

Good luck and don't wait too long.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:56 AM   #5
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Boy, that's good advise I never even thought about the shackles, I'm going out now and check them.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:54 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also had a problem with those shackles. When at the factory last May they showed us that they are using stronger shackles now so it should not be a problem with the newer models. Or at least less of a problem. I'm not sure when they started using the new ones. 2005 models I think. The new ones are hardened.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote