Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
Popc

M.O.C. #4465
water heater electric mode

The electric mode on my '06 model 2955RL seems to have stopped working. I get hot water only when I use the propane gas mode. This is a new RV (6 months old) and I think I used the elec once just after I bought the unit. Any ideas? I have checked all circuit breakers and none are tripped.

Popc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sounds like a warranty issue. I'd contact my dealer quick.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Popc,

Looks like you're new to the forum so, Hello and Welcome!! I'm wondering if perhaps you may have accidently had the water heater on electric with no water in the tank. If this happens the electric heater coil will self distruct in seconds. If that is what happened you will have to replace the heater coil with a new one. This is easy as the old one screws out and the new one just screws back in. Your local RV dealer should stock this part.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
If you know an electrician have him test the resistance in the element. If the resistance is unlimited(OL) the element is bad.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I think it will be obvious if the element is fried. Just screw it out and observe. Before we drain the water heater, I trip the breaker. It has a small tag on it reading, "Water in the tank?" Sequence is everything.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
I am sure you've checked on the water heater itself for the electric switch? It is somewhat hard to see and to get to and has a carter pin through it. That, of course, must be in the "ON" position for it to heat with electric. I know it is basic and I assume you've already done that.... but just mentioning it.... just in case.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
By chance did you turn the switch off outside at the water heater? If so that maybe your problem.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
You can also check the heater element with a volt-ohm meter. Turn the switch off at the water heater, set you VM to ohms and read across the heater connections - it should read about 14 ohms if good. If it's burned out, it will read open.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to echo the comments of RVWheels and Lawrence above. On my 2955RL the switch does not have a pin, but is rather hard to get to and even to see.

Popc, if you have already checked this, apologies, but if not we are talking about a rocker switch which is in the water heater compartment from the OUTSIDE of your RV.

We all need to remember that not all models and not all model years are exactly alike in such configurations.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 04:07 AM   #10
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
There is also a reset switch outside by the tank. At least there is on my 04. It is a rubber covered square. You might check that.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
When we picked up our new 05 3475 last year, Our electric side of the hot water tank did not work either. I used Gas on our way to Florida. After getting there, I had the electric side checked and the element was burned out. It was replaced for $67.00 by a dealer that came to the parks. The damage had to been done at the factory or at the dealer. We never turned the electric on, only the gas for a second as there was no water in the tank and the RV was winterized. I called Keystone and they said to call the manufacture of the tank. I did, and they said to send them the bill. I received a check for the full amount and no loss of time for me trying to find a Montana dealer there in Florida.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Popc - Carry a spare electrical element around with you. I always do and you will need one sooner than later. Go to Ace Hardware and get one for $9.95. It is the 110V - 1450Watt one and it fits great. Also they have a wrench set that they sell for about $5.95 for changing the element and it is a good investment as well. This is a lot cheaper than buying one from an RV dealer or a service call.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:38 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Another reminder (speaking from experience) - If you remove the heating element (or anode rod) be sure to relieve the pressure (popoff valve or open a faucet) or they become projectiles and create a big mess if you're in the way !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #14
Popc

M.O.C. #4465
Thanks everyone for your responses. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am on the road and have to get on the internet via my cell phone. Opening an internet page is about as exciting as watching paint dry.

I think I found the problem by checking the heater eement as suggested by several of you. A VOM reading shows that the element is bad (open) so I will have to replace it. If I can get one at a hardware store for only a few bucks, as suggested, I'll probably do it myself so I do not have to wait till I get it back to the dealer

Thanks!
Popc is offline   Reply With Quote