Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
advice on heater?

It got COLD in Florida the last two days. Believe it! Now I sitting here with no heat.

When I turn on the furnace, it blows air for about 30 seconds then shuts down. I have propane. I guess it's not lighting. What do I need to do to get it back up and working like it should.

Sign me "cold in Florida". Stop laughing. It does it get cold in Florida.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Have you changed propane tanks lately....you may have air in the lines or the valve is not letting enough gas through. Check your manual for changing the tanks procedure. The 2nd thought is your furnace gas orifice may be blocked and may need to be cleaned.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorta like a left-handed monkey wrench. When you need it you really need it. Hope you find a solution real quick.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Make sure your propane regulator is not stuck. Try your stove. If your stove works ok then the propane is coming through. If not physically check the propane bottles and try tapping the regulator.

Check your battery. Your heater fan may be connected to the Battery output wires in the converter. If this is true a low battery may cause the heater fan to cycle. I switched my fan input to the a converter DC output so I would always have DC power to it even if my battery fails during a cold night. It happened to me about a year ago up north. The fan cycled but no heat. What happens is the converter charges the battery and then the battery output is routed back to outputs in the converter. The charger to the battery does not have the current capacity to run the DC heater fan on it's own so if the battery is low, the heater fan may cycle. The heater fan must run a given time before the propane ignites. I have three battery outputs in my converter. The rest are converter outputs. When you disconnect from shore power the battery outputs automatically go to the coverter dc outputs.

So bottom line make sure your battery always has water in the cells or it will discharge. Check it at least every two weeks or so when connected to shore power or be prepared to buy a lot of batteries.

If all of that is ok and you have check you furnace line for air and propane then it is probably the striker board in the furnace.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Thanks for replies.

I have propane and the stove works. I also keep water in my battery cells. Checked them yesterday. I think I'll ask my neighbor if he has a tester for the batter voltage. I am thinking the striker board. Where is it located. Is it an item that can be replaced easily?
Old 02-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Try all your stove burners at once, this will let you know you have enough pressure. Sometimes if you open the propane tank to fast it won't provide enough pressure for the furnace to work.
WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Stove burner's are all working fine. Fuses, battery, et. I think I'll head over to WalMart and buy another space heater to get me through Feb and deal with this later. The price quotes I'm getting for a new board is $300 to $400. Not ready for that until I have time to make sure that's the problem. For that I could buy a electric fireplace.

Shiver me Timbers.....