Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
rogerinrv
Established Member

M.O.C. #5126
Slides retract slow or not at all

I have a 2001 Montana with three slides. We are having problems with the slides retracting. Sometimes two will retract and the third will not go at all and more recently all three would not retract. I have had the hydraulic pump checked and it is OK. I really think that the slides need to be adjusted, is this something that I can do or does it need to be completed in a repair shop. Looking for any help that is out there.

Roger

rogerinrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Check your battery. Is it fully charged? Slides pump is powered only by the battery.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #3
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
rogerinrv, I just read someone els had this problem and I think they said it might be A bad cell in the battery. Might be something to check.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
rogerinrv
Established Member

M.O.C. #5126
Thanks for the info on the battery. I should have mentioned that the battery is new and fully charged. I did notice that on the living room slide that the extended hydraluic arm is resting on the frame. I don't think this is the way it should be and am thinking that the slide needs to be adjusted/raised up? Has anyone ajusted their slides and is there anything I should be aware of? Do you adjust the slides in the extended or retracted position?

Roger
rogerinrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rogerinrv

Thanks for the info on the battery. I should have mentioned that the battery is new and fully charged. I did notice that on the living room slide that the extended hydraluic arm is resting on the frame. I don't think this is the way it should be and am thinking that the slide needs to be adjusted/raised up? Has anyone ajusted their slides and is there anything I should be aware of? Do you adjust the slides in the extended or retracted position?

Roger
I always had problems retracting my living room slide on my 2000 until a technician at Beaudry RV adjusted it. This is a flat floor slide and it is difficult at best to retract because it has to raise up in the front as it begins coming in. When it is really cold out, it comes in quite slow.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
As I understand it, the slide mechanism requires a 100A breaker, but Keystone only provides a 50A. Therefore, it will trip, causing the slides to stop going out or coming in. If you wait a few seconds it will reset itself, then you can continue. But it will eventually trip more often and the only solution is to install either two 50A breakers or one 100A breaker.

Perhaps someone else with more knowledge can comment on this issue.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dale explained this process at Reno. I think what he said was that the Montana system could handle up to 100amps. Not that they required it. His suggestion was to replace any relays that did not seem to be working properly. He suggested replace with 50 amp. He also advised adding another 30 amp or even another 50 amp if that ended up being needed. But do NOT exceed a total of 100 amps or the motor might be damaged.

I replaced an old 50 amp relay with a new one. Since then the slide has worked perfectly.

Sorry this isn't more precise. I get tangled up rather easily!

See you soon.

Dennis and Mary Kay and Roscoe
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I am interested in responses to your post about adjusting slides. My two slides (2955 RL) move in and out just fine but I notice quite a bit of twisting when the LR is retracting and the top of the slide hits the side of the Monty before the bottom of the slide. This may be normal since you want a good seal at the top but I'd love to hear about the proper adjustments if anyone knows about it.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #9
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
There are directions in the lippert manual. I used them to adjust mine after the local stealer had no clue.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another possibility is the slides may need lubrication on the rails underneath. We've found that can make a big difference in how easily the slides move, especially on the largest slide.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote