Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Kitchen LED Fluorescent Light - 3400RL

We have found that the stock kitchen lighting in our '06 3400 leaves something to be desired. My solution - swap out the factory lamp over the sink for something better.
After some searching I found the Thin Lite 626 fixture kind of matches the other ceiling lamps in style,& it was the size (18") I wanted, as well as dual tube. I bought one thru Amazon. (about $50)
http://www.thinlite.com/model-626-elegant-fixture
Finding the LED 'tubes' was a bit more difficult. I wanted to match the color temperature (warm white) of the other LED's already installed in our other fixtures. Also something of reasonable quality, there are lots of low quality LED products around. I found what I was looking for at Marine lighting shop for about $40 ea.
http://store.marinebeam.com/t8-led-bulb.html
You have to modify the 626 fixture wiring for the LED tubes, true for any fluorescent to LED conversion. (Marinebeam, & others, do sell converted fixtures) There is a video on their website that demonstrates the conversion, & there are paper instructions packed with the tubes. Both are for a single tube conversion, it took me about 5 minutes to think about how the dual tube wiring would work, once I had the center cover (one rivet that popped off with side cutters) out of the way. And since the LED's are 10-30 volt, you can test your work easily before hanging the fixture. I used my laptop power supply, it puts out 19VDC. You also need to rotate the pin orientation, easy to do with a small Phillips.(or ask Marinebeam to do it when you order them) There is a plastic groove in the end cap that makes it easy to get the rotation exact.
The LED tubes are much heavier, I was a bit concerned about the total weight & how I would hang the new fixture.
After removal of the old 2 bulb lamp fixture I found there is a metal roof beam about 6.5" behind (towards the rear of the trailer) the hole where the wires come out of the ceiling. Since I doubt the hole is in the same spot in any other 3400, you will have to find the exact dimension. I used a metal ruler as a probe. The new fixture is hung with 4 screws, I made sure 2 went into the metal beam I found (drill a small pilot hole), & slipped a bit of 1/8" plywood above the ceiling material to use as a backer plate for the other 2 screws. I did have to enlarge the existing hole in order to get the plywood in.
Of course, you will want to line up the fixture so it covers the hole in the ceiling, & is over the counter, & squared up as you want it.
Hint when wiring: I used a bit of string thru the nearby A/C vent grill to hang the fixture while I connected the wires. If you have 3 hands, this step is not necessary!
In my case, 2 of the old screw holes remain exposed, so I screwed the white headed screws from the old fixture back in to the ceiling. Screw heads look better than holes, I think.

For extra credit, you might want to take the 2 bulb fixture & place it in the head, replacing the one bulb unit in there.

The new light is a huge improvement. The hardest part was dealing with the plywood backer plate. But I am not worried about the fixture moving anytime soon.

sapest is offline   Reply With Quote