Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Toshiba TV or Quest DVD "S-Video" Trouble

A few months after we got this 2005 3475, I seemed to have blown out the Quest 2000’s video output, and the Toshiba 27” TV’s A/V-1’s S-Video input. (I had switched from the RCA input to the S-Video input for supposed picture quality reasons. Plus, I had a spare S-Video cable from our old stick & brick home theater system.) All we could do was listen to CD’s on the Quest.

RV Connections, (my dealer,) was great about it, and sent me a new Quest 2000 and Toshiba 27A34 TV. Things went well for about a year. Though the Quest didn’t seem to be all that happy playing DVDs. The TV’s video would hang up sometimes, or blink out until I turned the Quest off and back on. Needless to say, we didn’t watch too many DVDs for a long time. Besides, with our DirecTV TiVO, there was hardly a need to use the Quest.

Recently, my niece stopped over. She wanted to watch the “Shrek 3-D” DVD. As soon as I loaded the DVD, the TV screen started going off into diagonal lines, and was hardly worth watching. I decided then and there to get a Sony DAV-DX255 Home Theater system, since Circuit City had the nice 5-DVD Changer system on sale for about $250, after a $50 rebate.

Since it was much more powerful than the Quest, I decided to install the Sony Speakers. I took out the Quest speakers, including the sub-woofer. I spliced the Sony wires' ends onto the house wiring, I put up a 3.5” piece of oak veneered trim, across the three front speaker holes, mounting the front Sony speakers next to that, with the center speaker in the middle of it, using those two screws to secure the oak trim. I removed the rear Quest speaker mounts from below the cabinets and screwed the Sony speakers onto the slide’s outside wall, running the house wires down to the rear of the speakers, where they became hardly visible. I used a couple of Velcro strips on all speakers to make sure the speakers stayed solidly against the wall, and solidly bound by the mounting screws, that way. I mounted the Sony sub-woofer behind the fireplace, as it just fit. Used heavy duty Velcro to secure it to the bottom and side wall of the entertainment center slide.

The new system sounded great, and the video looked fantastic. (Still using the TV’s A/V-1 S-Video connection.)

Well, after we were starting to watch our second DVD, the TV screen just went blank...Shades of the old Quest trouble.

It was getting late. I was looking at having to drag the new system over to Circuit City, to see if it was at least putting out an S-Video signal. If it wasn’t, it’d be a simple matter of warranty for them to replace the unit. If it was working, then I’d have to deal with getting a new TV. I doubt this Toshiba’s under warranty, still. I would try to see what RV Connections might have done to replace it…Though I think Montana’s moved away from Toshibas, by now.

All of the above brings me to my big question. Something I haven’t seen mentioned on the forum. Is anyone else experiencing problems using the Toshiba TV’s S-Video input for their DVD viewing? Maybe even having problems using the standard RCA connections on A/V-1 of their Toshiba TV?

Before I watch more DVDs, I’m going to pull the TV out, and connect the standard RCA part of the cable from the DVD player, and disconnect the S-Video cable from the DVD player, since you can only use one of them at a time. S-Video is said to render a better picture. Though I tend to doubt it’s that noticeable on a small 27” screen.

Then I will see if I then have trouble with that input, or the DVD player’s output, and deal with it accordingly.

See the below pics for what I did.

Steve

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote