Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Jimongee
Established Member

M.O.C. #18968
Yikes! Snakes on board now what?

Ok this is not a joke. Today we took our Montana out of its woodsy storage location after sitting idle for 2 years. We found that mice had been enjoying it in our absence. That said we found the refrigerator not working properly. So after lots of trouble shooting I decided to remove the refrigerator for further diagnostics. That is when I found a 4’ snake skin that had been shed lying within the insulation wrap that surrounds the refrigerator. I understand that the snake probably found the mice rather tasty. But now I am beside myself at the thought of the snake and or his kids are still somewhere within the RV! Yeah a horror flic it is....so does anybody have a clue on what to do short of setting the rv on fire? Seriously we need real advice on this on.
Jimongee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It’s probably a black snake eating the mice. Don’t worry unless you like mice. It’s gone by now. Don’t worry about it it’s NOT poisonous. We found one in our house a few years ago. I caught it an took it outside and turned him loose.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Snake

Not sure about TN, but here in TX it would most likely be a rat snake...basically a non-poisonous constrictor. They are very agile and fast climbers. We have them around our place here in the country. DW hates them and I do too. Found a skinny teenager in one of the storage sheds this weekend. He is at peace now.

If your unit has been closed up then it probably gets too hot in there for them to want to stay. I would open up all the cabinets and go back in the heat of the day to see if you see any signs. You need to check for signs of mice and get rid of them too. I would park it in the sun and let it heat up for several days. I’ll bet that you will not find any this time of year. Good luck!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Concur with Mike and Lynwood. Snakes are generally very low threat and want to get away from people.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The only real working plan to get rid of snakes is to make sure you get rid of the mice and keep them gone. No food, no snake. Our winter home base has plenty of rattle snakes. If someone has problems with them we get rid of the mice and very soon the snakes are gone.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
The snake got rid of the mice. Now you need a mongoose to get rid of the snake. Then you hire someone to get rid of the mongoose.
Just keep moving up the food chain.

I know this wasn't helpful but I couldn't stop myself.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #7
Jcroome
Established Member

M.O.C. #20350
Too funny
Jcroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
darrylwt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimongee View Post
Ok this is not a joke. Today we took our Montana out of its woodsy storage location after sitting idle for 2 years. We found that mice had been enjoying it in our absence. That said we found the refrigerator not working properly. So after lots of trouble shooting I decided to remove the refrigerator for further diagnostics. That is when I found a 4’ snake skin that had been shed lying within the insulation wrap that surrounds the refrigerator. I understand that the snake probably found the mice rather tasty. But now I am beside myself at the thought of the snake and or his kids are still somewhere within the RV! Yeah a horror flic it is....so does anybody have a clue on what to do short of setting the rv on fire? Seriously we need real advice on this on.
This is what I would do, call out a exterminator and have the trailer covered and fumigated no telling what else is living in the RV... years ago I had a camper covered because I was seeing termite signs in the wood.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #9
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Runnnnn! Let him have it.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
You only need be concerned with four kinds of snakes. Big, little, live and dead! Don’t worry about the rest! ��
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
You only need be concerned with four kinds of snakes. Big, little, live and dead! Don’t worry about the rest! ��
You must have gotten this from my wife. That's pretty much her motto. I can't stop laughing though.

As for the original problem ... Sticky traps, exterminator, hot sun all sound like pretty good ideas.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #12
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
I'm not sure why everyone is so sure it's not poisonous? 10 years ago we had a small SOB RV that we kept at deer camp for a year. One day after not being there for a month we opened it up and found a 3' Diamond back rattle snake it. We killed it but it was very hard to sleep in it after that. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I can sympathize. We had a 6' black snake crawl into our hitch after a birds nest with chicks.

I would open every cabinet and go thru the trailer really good. If your still not comfortable with it then maybe the tented fumigation but it won't be cheap.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #14
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
How about placing several sticky traps inside the trailer?
Old 06-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #15
Our3231CK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20364
Go to Camping world and trade it?
Our3231CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:39 PM   #16
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Quote:
Burn it to the ground!!!
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When my nephew was 10 or 12 he saw these nature programs on TV people catching snakes so he would go outside and find snakes catch them and bring them home. He ask his dad if he could catch a blue bird, sure son. A 10 10 year old can’t catch a blue bird. So his dad told him to sprinkle some salt on it’s tail. The kid had a better idea and in a little while he brought the bird to dad. He had put a fishing net over the bird box tapped on the box. The bird came out and he had him. No salt required.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Thumbs up Snakes mice and spiders.

Each season when we get the RV ready for the first trip we take 2 Black Flag bombs and bomb it. That stuff will kill anything inside that moves. We have found many spiders which came in to visit and never left. One cation when you set them off do not breath any as you may not leave either.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #19
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Product called Mouse free. Mentioned this before. Spray it on every part of your RV that comes in contact with the ground. After 7 yrs, no mice, ergo; no snakes or for that matter, no ants. It’s safe and is applied by an air compressor sprayer. For me, peace of mind. Down side is cost ($100). I power wash it off once a year and then re-apply. Mild menthol fragrance.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #20
Cfreeze

M.O.C. #19843
Check with your insurance

I had a mouse infestation after winter storage. My wife is highly allergic to animal dander so I was at the same point. Do I sell or set in on fire. So I called my insurance company and it’s covered under rodent infestation and falls under comprehensive coverage. 250 dollar deductible and life is good. Camper is actually in getting fixed now. New all weather under belly, fridge, battery and hot water heater all fixed even tho mice might not have cause those problems. 3500 so far if they don’t find anything else wrong. The labor to replace the under belly was the most expensive at 1700. Oh then when they are done it goes to a detail shop to be cleaned and carbon filters ran in it at another 800 bucks. All covered under insurance. Def check on that before loosing your mind
Cfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote