Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Quartzsite First Timer Help

We are so excited that there are 16 days until we leave for the Q Rally! Many of you will arrive before we do but with work and a little kiddo it will be impossible. However, I want to start preparing. So here are my questions:

What piece of advice would give a Q First Timer? What do you wish someone had told you before you arrived that would have made your trip that much more enjoyable?

We are not new to boondocking, but our trailer is new to us and we have not been to the Q before. So any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Food suggestions(what to cook that works well there), what to wear, what to bring...I do mean any and all advice!

We can't wait to meet all of you. My son keeps asking if we will be able to find a tarantula as a pet (I hope not) or a scorpion(I definitely hope not!). I know no one else is bringing children, and I hope all of you will be okay with a little guy around. He is super eager to see the dessert.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Carol, we'll eat anything you want to fix. just make us your favorites and don't worry about people not wanting your son, he will probably be spoiled when you leave
Old 12-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Charlie and Nila! I think I have the buffet figured out but I was wondering what people make for themselves during their time at Q. I was also wondering if there is anything else we need to know to make our times there the most enjoyable.

As for the buffet I think I am bringing an orange bundt cake.

Thanks again!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just like all camping/rving trips

Layers of clothes, and extra shoes in case something happens to get wet.

There are laundry facilities nearby, but, we cart along enough clothes that we come in with all clean and we have enough that we could probably stay much longer than our allotted 14 days. Going to do laundry takes time away from being in the circle and having FUN.

Bring LOTS of drinking water, we do not use water in the RV for drinking so I bring along many bottles.

This is my opinion, the more food and supplies I am able to tote in, the less time I have to spend hunting up replacements and away from the FUN!

What to eat and fix, another opinion, SIMPLE. Less clean up, less water used out of the fresh water holding tank supply. If it can be done on paper plates (nope, not thinking green here) the better. Less water used if I don't have lots of dishes to wash. Anything that can be prepared before you leave home, best! Most of the clean up can be done there and warming up can be fast and oh, leaves more time for FUN.

If you don't know how now, learn what it means to take a Navy shower.

Wet ones ARE your best friend for dirty little fingers and faces (and big ones too). You can also wipe excess food off your plates with them so they are not totally gross when you do wash them. I try to not have to do those dishes more than once a day. Leaves more time for FUN!

Simply, KISS, Keep It Simple Silly! And oh, did I say, keeping it simple helps make it more FUN!

And, believe Charlie is right, that little one may be a tad bit spoiled on departure! LOL Have FUN!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Don't forget to bring good walking shoes for all. You will be amazed at the size of the various flea market and shows going on in town and the many miles you will be traveling going up and down the aisles trying to visit all the vendors looking for bargains and etc. We always bring small backpacks for purchases, brochures, and extra bottled water as we cruise these events. Kristi reccomends to bring cash in small bills so you can barter for bargains.

Jim
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have a happy hour every afternoon and people bring snacks and appetizers so you might want to plan ahead some for that. Nothing fancy. Chips and dip,cheese, crackers, olives, etc. Don't fret over having enough of everything for the week, there are 3 small stores in Q and a Safeway and Walmart 30 mi. away in Parker
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I think Carol mentioned it, but let me re-iterate it. *WATER* is the blessing and curse of Q.

The "deep well water" they sell for a nickel a gallon is good for washing or whatever but is not what you want to drink or cook with. Bring a 2-3 gallon plastic bottle that you will fill with Reverse Osmosis (RO) water. RO water is available everywhere and costs two bits a gallon. Use this to cook, coffee, tea, ice cubes, dog water, etc. We prefer bottled water for drinking (only when traveling) so we bring a case of that too.

The use of water means it has to be disposed off. The holding tanks serve that purpose but you want to do what you can to minimize what goes in there and consequently extend the time before you have to empty them. Navy showers are proven water minimizer techniques. A plastic dishpan for washing those things which are not disposable (pots, silverware, etc) will enable you to legally dump that grey water outside and not into your holding tank.

Another consideration is electrical power. When the generator is running, have a ball. Run everything you can. But once you fall back to just 12V power you need to be aware of the power requirements you need. The standard 12V bulbs consume large gobs of 12V power (2+ amps each). You really want to minimize the use of lights unless you have converted to LEDs (something like .2 amps). But the biggest power eater is the furnace. The squirrel cage blower is a huge power eater. Unless you have mega-batteries (much more than the standard single 12V) the furnace will drain your battery in one cold night (Q is currently forecasting lows around 30 degrees) if you try to keep the RV too warm. Either turn the furnace off at night (and have a down comforter handy) or set the thermostat down to 50 degrees or so.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
speaking of water, another trick

getting the hot water TO the shower can waste a gallon or MORE! and it just runs down the drain

UNLESS

you have some empty gallon jugs, place under the shower faucet to catch that gallon or two.

Use that gallon to flush the toilet.

So, bring a few empty gallon jugs for this specific purpose.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks to everyone for the great tips! We ordered one of the water bladders for future use. I am not sure we will need it this trip as we will only be at the Q from Thursday - Monday and we are pretty conservative with the water. However, it was very nice for Doug to bring them to us. We will also be stopping in Cedar City the night before we arrive so I think a Walmart trip will be in our plans.

Thanks for helping a newbie through this process! I am looking forward to meeting all of you! Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
otnoel521
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10179

We travel with Eva (our pet ball python) your son will be welcome to meet her while at the Q. She is about 3' long and very gentle. We are en route to the Q as of this morning. We should be arriving sometime on Sunday morning. Once we get set up my husband Dave or I will be glad to introduce your son to Eva.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

We are so excited that there are 16 days until we leave for the Q Rally! Many of you will arrive before we do but with work and a little kiddo it will be impossible. However, I want to start preparing. So here are my questions:

What piece of advice would give a Q First Timer? What do you wish someone had told you before you arrived that would have made your trip that much more enjoyable?

We are not new to boondocking, but our trailer is new to us and we have not been to the Q before. So any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Food suggestions(what to cook that works well there), what to wear, what to bring...I do mean any and all advice!

We can't wait to meet all of you. My son keeps asking if we will be able to find a tarantula as a pet (I hope not) or a scorpion(I definitely hope not!). I know no one else is bringing children, and I hope all of you will be okay with a little guy around. He is super eager to see the dessert.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Olga that would be wonderful!!! We are regular volunteers at the local zoo and his favorite area is the reptile area. He always has to greet all of the snakes and lizards. He has even given tours to some of the visitors there...one lady even tipped him because he shared so much information. When we went to South Dakota he begged us to visit Reptile Gardens...and we ended up going twice! He would get a real kick out of that. We, unfortunately, cannot make it until Thursday...so you will have plenty of time to get settled in.

Thanks so much for the very generous offer to share your pet with us. He has wanted a snake for a very long time!
Closed Thread