Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Replacing rub rail

I really hate how nasty our rub railing looks and want DH to replace it all. Has anyone does it? How difficult or easy is it and how much does new material cost? Did you do it yourself or have it done? thanks....Joanie

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Joanie, I don't believe I know what a rub rail is. I know that's not much help to you but it might help me. :-)
Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I assume you mean the plastic insert in the aluminum extrusion on the seams of your fiver. Mostly just remove the 2 screws on each end of the length and pull it right out. You kinda bow it going back in working your way along, then put the end screws back in to hold it in place. Some lengths just have silicon caulking holding the ends in place. You can buy it in bulk at about any RV dealer ... beware there are two colors of white ... one is kinda eggshell ... the other is more pure white.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
If I may, while we're on the topic of the seams. Has anybody cut and removed the ends that extend behind the slides? I'm thinking of doing this so the slide closes tight to the outer wall. It's only in most cases about an inch or so that would be removed. Then just caulk the end again.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Ours started turning yellow, I took a green scotch brite pad and spray bottle of rubber roof cleaner and it took off the yellow, with I admit some elbow grease. When clean I coated it with gel gloss wax. Looks like new.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

I really hate how nasty our rub railing looks and want DH to replace it all. Has anyone does it? How difficult or easy is it and how much does new material cost? Did you do it yourself or have it done? thanks....Joanie
Spend a season in Arizona and all that stuff will dissappear. We spent several seasons in Florida and you should have seen all that uglt stuff. It is gone now since spending time in Alabama.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jooanie-- Make sure that you measure the rubber if and when you remove it to replace it. There are some of the units that have two different widths of rubber on it. I have two different ones on our 2004 unit! I'm thinking of removing ours also but want to do it when it is warmer. Maybe if and when we leave for the South this winter I can replace it then! I've also heard of members here on MOC taking theirs off and putting it into a bucket of clorox water and letting it sit for a while then removing it and brushing it off with a scotch brite pad then putting it back in the bucket to soak a little more. Finally they rinsed it off and put it back on.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 AM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Ronnelly we live in Florida. Everything mildews and discolors down here. Rondo, I think it is beyond bleaching!! Might try it though. Thanks all for the replies. Joannie
Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Snowbirds
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2082
Joanie, I didn't know that was called a rub rail, but mine turned to black and I used some Outdoor bleach from Lowes. Regular bleach wouldn't touch it. I just wiped the outdoor bleach on and left it and next day the vinyl was white as snow again. Good luck.
Snowbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Snowbirds, thanks, I will try that first. I don't know for sure that it is called a rub rail, but we had something similar on all the boats we have had and that's what they are called.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #11
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Hi before you replace the rib-rail go to any dollar store or dollar general and buy a couple of bottles of AWSOME 28oz for $1. spray on rib rail and watch the black and yellow melt away it makes them white again. Awsome cleans everything. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote