Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
gobears
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9216
slide outs quit working

Help, friday while running the sildes out, they stopped. not the normal wait for the breaker to reset stop, but really stopped. I chased the wiring down to the cheap spot welded terminal blocks. I was checking to see if the wires were loose, and sparks flew from behing the terminal blocks and frame. I took all apart and re-wired and it worked. well today, went to run them back in to head home, and same problem. I tried wiggling the wire and the spot welded block broke off the bracket. I kept wiggling while the wife held the switch and finally got them in. but now nothing works. anyone familiar with this?

gobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
sunshineduo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8513
Not familiar with what you've seen with bad connections and sparks, but am familiar with a stoppage due to the in-line fuse blowing. If you've replaced it with a breaker though, I'd sure be inclined to pursue the lost connectivity issue.
There is also a way to spin the hydraulic pump 'manually' with a portable drill. That info should be in the owner's manual. Worked for me in an emergency.
sunshineduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
1st, disconnect all power sources (battery and shore power). Then trace out the problem circuit with a continuity tester to determine where the break is in the circuit, then check the connections at that point. I would remove the wires and re-seat the connection. You've got a break or loose connection somewhere. The sparks were caused by a energized source (wire or bus) grounding out.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
gobears
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9216
Yes, found the drill option in the manual, nice option, worked well. I will trace all connections down and re-tighten. what is the purpose of the terminal blocks? Just cosmetics to keep from catching things? I'm sure I'll have order some new ones as both are broken at the spot welds. I was thinking of just lugging them and heavy black tape until new blocks come in.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Block is just a convenient way of connecting several wires together. Lugging them together and taping will work fine.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
The block serves to organize the wires and connect them securely while keeping them separate from the adjacent wires. Makes for easier troubleshooting/ service if you need to remove/replace/ disconnect the wires.
You will want to position the wires carefully to avoid chafing if you decide to use the lug/tape method.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 01RAMer

Block is just a convenient way of connecting several wires together. Lugging them together and taping will work fine.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
gobears
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9216
update, finally had time to trouble shoot the slid outs. What I thought were terminal blocks turned out to be circuit breakers, "short stops". I ordered a couple online and change them. Solved the problem, as the sparking was coming from behind them, I guessed correctly that something was wrong with them. How often do you get lucky and change the first thing and it works? I think they were 5 bucks each.