Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Only I could have this happen!

Just over a week ago, I found out I had some heart problems and ended up getting a stint put in. I was off work for 10 days and with my new found energy, was driving the DW nuts. We decided to hitch up and head to Spokane to visit the oldest kid and sister. We took our time and was all hooked up and ready to roll last Wednesday. Only problem was a nasty pacific storm going through with some wind and heavy rain.

We did well watching traffic and taking our time. All was going well. we started to head up Snoqualmie pass in very heavy rain when all the sudden, the passenger wiper quit all the way up, the driver side came down on top and bent the %$@* out of both wiper arms and stuck!

I managed to get off the freeway with almost 0 visibility and after getting drenched, was able to salvage enough parts to make the drivers side work. We called ahead to a Dodge dealer and they welcomed us in. The one wiper worked ok (had to bend the arm back enough for it to partially work) and made it to Ellensburg with no further problems.

We unhooked the trailer and sat outside and ate lunch (much to the amusement of all passing by) while they put our Dodge back together. They didn't have the parts, so after a weather check, we hooked up and continued to Spokane and a Dodge dealer fixed it for us here!

Never let it be said that any of my RV outings are not an adventure! Oh and by the way, we were delayed just long enough for one day of good weather here and now the rain has followed us.

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Congratulations on the heart stent recovery and good job on the repair! It had to be nerve-wracking driving in a heavy storm without functioning wipers.

Did you go to the dealer treating as warranty work? What actually failed? It appears that the severe storm may have twisted up the wiper arms pretty bad. If that were the case, a trip to an autopart store for replacement arms might have worked if a dealer was not close by. I would be concerned about this happening again and might carry a couple of spare arms and blades.

If it was the motor, then never mind. That's a lot more work. In either case, I hope the dealer covered all costs. The wipers are supposed to work in very bad, windy weather.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Glad to hear the stints worked. Also, glad to see you got to your destination ok regardless of the misfortunes.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
What a great attitude you have.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Sounds like "Murphy" was out in force I'm glad to see that you could laugh about it.
Jack
Old 06-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
So your saying that we can thank you for bringing all that rain into our area?

I am glad to hear that everything worked out for you.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Msjan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9847
Had that happen on our 05 Chrysler mini van. Put a 1 inch shorter blade on the passenger side and it never happened again.
Msjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Been over that pass a zillion times and have had some rather strange things happen also. Congrats on the successful stent placement, I have 6, they work. Got 10 days off huh, I needed your doctor, had a stent on Friday and was at work on Monday. You must have had better insurance. Take care and live long.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote