Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
New battery question

For work related reasons our rig (2007 3400RL) is going to be stored and unfortunately used very infrequently if at all for at least six to twelve months. I am pretty sure our battery is about dead. I started a thread earlier and received some good advice about the pros and cons of doing a "minimal" battery replacement vs. "upgrading" to golf cart batteries or possibly an AGM. It looks like most if not all of our camping for the foreseeable future will be with full hookups, but I want the option to be able to "dry camp" in a Walmart overnight if necessary, and want to have adequate battery power for that. I am now inclined to go with "upgraded" battery(ies) and keeping it(them) in the garage on a battery minder between uses. I would appreciate any and all opinions from the forum on this plan. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #2
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
For the odd night at Wal Mart I think the standard battery would more than suffice. It's always nice to have more, better, but you won't need it for a once in a while overnighter in the parking lot.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree with Jim Jarvis. What he says makes perfect sense for the occassions you describe. However, if you are comfortable with the effort for the battery upgrades and its recharge system then this could help you if something comes up and you find you need one or more days beyond the one WalMart night.

We use full hookups 100% of the time so far, but we carry generators as a backup. Unfortunately the full hookups have NOT been usable 100% of the time (blown CG transformer, post went dead, post was shut down for repair) and the genny's saved our rump.

It only takes one time to need the upgraded batteries and one less thing to worry about if a "situation" that comes up or you want to do something beyond what the standard battery gives you. Whether it's a emergency for using the RV, or needing more than the one night in the parking lot, or you decide you are having so much fun you prolong you RV use and need to boondock.

Just understand what each option provides you and you are willing to live within what you decide.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Lawman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7940
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

For the odd night at Wal Mart I think the standard battery would more than suffice. It's always nice to have more, better, but you won't need it for a once in a while overnighter in the parking lot.
Ditto.
Lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Don't depend on a generator if parking at Wal-Mart. Their rules are that we can be there overnight, but no "camping" which would mean technically, not using anything that would resemble a camping fixation, i.e. awning out, slides out, grill out, generator out, etc. I guess if you have a built-in generator, like in most motor homes, you could run it for a short period of time. The best thing is a good set of batteries. Our batteries from which we run three computers, TV, scanner and three printers, not to mention small AA and AAA battery chargers, will last us through one entire day. But if we don't use these computer-related devices, then we can run on our batteries indefinitely. That's because of our solar panels. If we don't get any charge from solar (overcast skies) then our batteries will last at least two complete days before we might have to use a generator. Never been that far so can't say for sure.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
After reading this forum and other blogs on batteries, I think the golf cart 6 volt batteries should provide the best power for RV's. I base this primarily on the fact that the golf cart batteries are designed for providing power by a deep cycle process only. The usual deep cycle-starting battery sold in Wal-mart etc. is cheaper but is designed for two functions--starting an engine and deep cycle power. I just replace my deep cycle/starter batteries with the same deep cycle/starter batteries. Oh Well--wait 2-3 years and I will go with golf cart batteries. By the way--I seldom boondock but would think that the golf cart type battery would be best for that application. This is just my opinion and hope it gives you some ideas.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I agree that two 6v golf cart batteries are better than one 12v deep cycle battery. However the OP mentioned spending one night on an infrequent basis dry camping. For that, his 12v should work okay, it works for me.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have two good 12V deep cycle batteries in Parallel. Works fine for the short overnight stay or short power outage.(8 hours or so) Why spend $ if you do not have to. For what you describe the normal good deep cycle battery should be fine.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I failed to mention that I have two 12 VDC deep cycle/starting batteries in parallel. Learn a cold lesson at Bryce NP in October that one battery will not run the heater all night while boondocking! I have not boondocked since but I have not had any battery issues either.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Does the cable connection from the rig to the tow vehicle provide power to anything other than the outside trailer lights and brakes? Just wondering if the tow would provide additional batt power to the rv...
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yes, the TV pigtail, if enabled correctly, will provide charging for the batteries. Some travellers leave the furnace and water heater on to heat the rig during travel in cold weather, or leave the fridge on propane setting but 12v required to keep the contents cold or some other 12v device for other reasons and with the truck keeping the batteries charged this prevents dead RV batteries.

The reason I qualified my post with "if enabled correctly" is that in some vehicles (I've heard some model year Chevys and GMCs, there may be others) purchased with the TOW packages does not mean the recharging will occur. A conscious check is required - something about a fuse installed in the truck to enable the charging at the pigtail. But one of the pins of the 7 pin connector is for the recharge - I think it is known as Aux or Hot, but hopefully an automotive expert will clarify this.

While this post is bordering on off-topic, knowing how recharging works between a TV and the RV is important to understand how to keep these new batteries at their best.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Art, thanks for the good info. Another related question: If the trailer is in storage, and I remove the battery, and I then hook up the pigtail to the TV, and have the engine idling (F250 SD w/7.3 Diesel), what will and what won't work in the trailer? Lights? Slides? Thanks.
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Thanks Art. I thought it must provide tow batt power as once when my rv batt was low I had difficulty raising the jacks until I hooked up the tow vehicle. I may be wrong but I see this as extra battery power to the RV even when parked as long as you keep the electrical connection between the two.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Keep in mind, that if you draw too much juice from your TV bat, you could be stuck with a dead bat in the AM. I generally disconnect my pigtail to avoid such. You can purchase an isolator to install on the TV, which will allow charging of the RV batts, but will prohibit the RV from drawing power from the TV. I've been running dual 12 volt deep cycle and have dry camped for several days, but am very careful of light usage, those internal lites draw a lot of power.

Michelle S
Old 01-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bill maietta

Thanks Art. I thought it must provide tow batt power as once when my rv batt was low I had difficulty raising the jacks until I hooked up the tow vehicle. I may be wrong but I see this as extra battery power to the RV even when parked as long as you keep the electrical connection between the two.
Remember Bill that on a Ford, the ignition has to be "on" for the 12V charge line to be energized. You can keep the trailer connection plugged in but you won't utilize the TV battery until you turn the key. This prevents the RV from running down the TV's batteries should you deplete the charge in the house batteries.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #16
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I have had some instances where the trailer battery was dead, and tried to use the truck connection to power the slides. No dice! Blew the fuse in the truck every time! Landing gear, OK, but not slides.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Thanks Carl, I did not know that. I guess I had the truck running and therefore ignition on. By the way, how did you find that out?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

I have had some instances where the trailer battery was dead, and tried to use the truck connection to power the slides. No dice! Blew the fuse in the truck every time! Landing gear, OK, but not slides.
Yep, I would think the hydraulic pump would draw quite a bit more current than the circuit from the truck puts out. I have used the truck and converter to run the slides in or out though. IIRC, GM has a 40 amp fuse in that circuit. Not sure about Ford or Dodge.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #19
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Walt, just for the heck of it, where is that fuse in Ford trucks?
Old 01-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bill maietta

Thanks Carl, I did not know that. I guess I had the truck running and therefore ignition on. By the way, how did you find that out?
We have a 12V pump with a 7-Pin plug that we use to transfer water from the bladder to the RV when we dry camp. Here in Quartzsite, we have found two Dodge's with blown fuses in their charge circuits (which the owners were unaware of) and proved to several Ford owners (newer than 2002) that one has to have the ignition switch turned on before the circuit will work.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote