Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
jorpcorn

M.O.C. #7175
Zip code required at fuel pumps

Is there a way to get around the need for a "zip code" when paying for fuel at the pump? I am Canadian and travel extensively in the USA. Many gas stations now require this and the Canadian Postal code does not work. Any tricks to get around it?

jorpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Don't know of any way around it, I like it as the zip code must match my zip at home where my card was issued. Less chance of fraud.
Try contacting the credit card company and tell them if they don't get their cards acknowledged in the states, you'll use currency and cancil their card. Maybe if enough Canadians did this it would change the policy at the gas station.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jorpcorn,
We had exactly the same thing happen to us while traveling in Canada. The only answer I know of is to simply take your card inside. That worked for us. Sort of defeats the "pay at the pump" feature but at least we could get our fuel.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
jorpcorn

M.O.C. #7175
Thanks guys. I also appreciate the security aspect of it, but hate going inside twice at some of the larger, busier stations. I read somewhere that there was a way to get around it, by entering other digits that were unique to the card holder, but have forgotten what it was that worked. May try contacting some of the gas companies and see if I can get any help.
jorpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I travel the I-5 corridor and have been so frustrated with that very issue. At a Safeway I mentioned this to the attendant and was told to use the numbers in my Postal code followed by two zeros. For instance if I lived at V3A2E2 I would use 32200.I have since used this method many times and it actually works. But I still get billed and have to pay for the gas I pumped
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’ve never been asked this when paying at the pump. This is new to me but I think it would definitely be a security enhancement. I can see now that we need to go camping more than what we do. It would appear that we haven’t gotten out enough.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm happy to insert my zip code. Helps, does not eliminate, but helps eliminate fraud. Not all stations require it and not all Flying J's require it. Eventually they all will. I'm for compliance without griping.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Orv,
Please don't get upset that I use you as an example - it's just security.

Now let's assume that I have his credit card (I hope it is a large maximum) and I'm going to use it. Not right away, as I have some home work to do. The credit card has his name on the front, and maybe more information in his name than "Orv." So I go back to my computer and put in his name in the Google search engine.

Just some basic analysis on the first two hits of his name:

Orv lives near a lake in Texas. He is, or was a newsletter editor for a christian organization. The last two numbers of his zip code are 99.

Ah! Now I can go try and use his card and if it doesn't work, I'll do another refined search.

Yes, I like the zip code as a stop gap for the real dumber thief, but the thief that is a little smarter than dumber (dumb) will know how to do this.

I would much rather see a 5 digit pin number.

Years ago it was stated to never give out the security code on the back of the card. Now, you can't do business without giving it out.

Here is an interesting web site that I used in security briefing regarding identity theft when I was working at Johnson Space Center.

DISCARD

Also, do a search on the words how to get credit card numbers, or credit card number generator, or any combination of what you can think of.

How do you use it? Buy a card writer. Go to a hotel and get one of their key cards. reprogram the card with any valid credit card number. Go to a store and use it in the swipe reader. This is one of the reasons that stores have been asking to see the credit card to verify the last 4 digits. Unfortunately, the clerks, and management, have become lax in their endeavor and sometimes just take a persons word of what the last four numbers are. When they key in the last 4 they have to match what was scanned. No match, no sale.

I could go on and on about this subject, but I've most likely bored you to tears already.

Edited: OH! And do a search on the words credit card zip code and see what you come up with. It is a means of deterent for fraud and identity theft. Check out Wikipedia

Jim,
Did your partner buy that lime looking convertible in Virgina Beach?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have heard that it sometimes works if you take the three digits from your Canadian postal code, and add two zeros at the end.
This may only work where your postal code digits are other than zero, ours would be 01000, and I doubt that would be accepted.

You can sometimes get the credit card company to issue a card with a secondary address that has a U.S. zip code, but of course, you have to have a zip code that you can use to do this. Canadian Tire offered to do a short term address change, but that too requires that you have a U.S. zip code that you can use.

So far, I have never had this problem, I almost always buy my fuel at Flying J, but I have sometimes bought it at other brands, including Wal.Mart without any problem.

It is frustrating, that our postal codes and zip codes are so incompatible.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
HERE IS THE ANSWER!!!! - Canadians traveling in the US when asked for zip code at pump ENTER THE 3 DIGITS FROM YOU POSTAL CODE PLUS 00 (ZERO-ZERO)IT WORKS!!
Example if your postal code is V4A 8N3 enter 48300 for a zip code.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Yep, thats what I said and I use it with success.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If you guys would become the 51st state the problem would be resolved.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #13
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Wow! Think of the politics there! No I think at our age we will keep our Health Care etc; there's always the great things and then the bad things to change. Yes, we in the west would sometimes like to be different; just because!! LOL.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote