Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Williams AZ Canyon Gateway RV Park

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with Canyon Gateway RV Park in Williams, AZ? We are heading there over July 4th week. Their website doesn't offer much in the way of photos and from what I see, it is a bit sparse! Don't think it will matter much as it will just be a base camp for the day trips we are taking. Anybody stay there before?

Happy and safe travels everyone!

Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sue: If I am not mistaken, that is where we stayed a few years ago. The guy was very unfriendly and the campground was a red clay or something similar. Anyway, when it gets wet you sink into it and it is a real mess. I had to carry the dogs to the city road before I could put them down to do their business. Maybe someone else will step up with a better memory than mine.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
RCMP03 - On page 3 of this topic there's a post that I believe is about Canyon Gateway and the person had the same unfriendly management experience as Bill and Ann. When we were in Williams in April we stayed at Grand Canyon Railway RV park. It's pretty new so there's no shade trees or anything, but there's concrete pads, nice laundry facilities, and it's near the railway station for the canyon train trips. Also a couple blocks or so from Route 66. I believe it's Parrothead who likes the KOA in Williams. Hope this helps.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Yes, we do like the KOA in Williams, the one right off I40, not the one on the route to the Grand Canyon. We stayed there three weeks last summer and really enjoyed it. We did a lot of day trips from there plus Williams is a neat little town with lots of shops and great food. We didn't see the other parks until we had already set up at the KOA.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Oh my! Glad I asked! The price is right, but there is no way I can carry my 80 pound golden lab to the road!

We will look into the other places you mention. I had seen those too, but opted for the one that accepts Passport America discounts. They seemed quite friendly over the phone.

Thanks again everyone for the heads up!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
That must be the one we stayed at because it was a Passport America campground.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
We took your advice and we canceled the Canyon Gateway. I could just picture the red clay mud tracked all over the RV from Bailey the lab!

We ended up booking at the Railside RV Ranch, they were very helpful and courteous on the phone and was a little better price then the others. The spaces look a good size and it is white gravel roads and spaces. They have Saturday BBQ's, continental breakfast and other nice services. Since we will be there over July 4th, we can watch the fire works from the RV park and enjoy the BBQ they have set up (all included in the price)! They even offer dog sitting for a mere tip (they take your pet out of your RV for a walk and put him/her back). I really like that idea as we will be away at least 10 hours on the train trip to the canyon. One other offered a kennel for $14, but Bailey would be more comfortable in his own space. Yes, he is spoiled and with all the extras, worth a little more! We are paying $29 a night with our AAA card.

Anyways, hopefully we made a better choice with this one! Thanks all!

Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sounds like you made a great choice, with lots of amenities. You'll like the train trip to the canyon. Enjoy your stay.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote