Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North America MOC / Western Region
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quiet Generators Please

There are no electric hookups: QUIET generators are required for power. There have had issues with loud generators in the past so for the peace of all, please do not use a contractor type or any open frame generator.

IF YOU HAVE A LOUD GENERATOR YOU WILL BE ASKED TO SET UP RESIDENCE OUTSIDE OF THE CIRCLE.

If you need to borrow a quiet generator to charge your batteries while there, let us know and we’ll do our best to accommodate.

Quiet Hours: For the purposes of this rally and our group, we will observe "Quiet Hours" between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. daily.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

There are no electric hookups: QUIET generators are required for power.
1) Is there a definitive decibel level for this?
2) What is the maximum dB level at what distance?
3) Do I need to bring my dB meter for enforcement?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
A reminder
Old 10-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Sounds fair enough ,I could not afford a Honda or Yamaha so I bought used 125.00 Coleman Suburu 1850 powered Gen on Craigslist it is not a open rail but it is louder than a Honda so I am buying a Supergen Tent portable enclosure for 99 bucks to get it down to Honda like levels, nobody likes a loud Gen in the campground
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Why would they have to borrow a generator? when they could hook up the truck to the trailer plug using the TV to charge up the RV batteries, it would be much quicker than a generator way more amps from the truck. I have a pigtail that allows me to do that without having to get the truck under the pin box.
I guess that was not such a good idea diesel fumes on some motors that have modified exhost systens and been chiped.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The fine print in my '06 Ford truck user guide says not to idle the engine for very long. These newer engines are apparently not like the big old diesels that I still see and hear at truck stops running all night. It's one reason I'm not fond of overnighting in some truck stops.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have a newer, but pre-DEF Dodge and you let it sit and idle like that your check engine light will come on soon enough. They have to be run to burn the emissions and sitting there idling will junk up the sensors. Took two trips to the dealer when it was new before they explained it to me to keep me from coming back. Said they had a lot of trouble with cattle feed trucks for the same reason.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thats interresting I have a 09 and the check engin light has never came on, but this is off the topic of generators and charging batteries. Sorry John Im out of here.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It's not off topic since recharging your batteries using your TV idling for long periods of time was suggested. And for some trucks idling for long periods of time this is not a good idea and different "bad things" might occur. Just one thing more to know in satisfying quietness requirements where our rigs boondock. A generator can be loud, but so might 50 idling trucks recharging their rig's batteries if a quiet generator is not possible especially if one of those trucks get broken by this, then recharging batteries is the least of their problems.

I and others are not ready to chance our trucks by letting them idle for long periods. It seems to work for you, but our posts are to create awareness in satisfying H. John's mention of quietness requirements (10pm to 7am is very typical). On the other hand I have two EU2000s I can use but I have other reasons for not boondocking and therefore can't attend and won't post these here.
Closed Thread