Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
Yet another Marathon blowout!

Heading south Sat on I75, descending a mountain, on a turn, in heavy traffic, 20 mi north of Knoxville. Right front tire on the Monty blew. the dodge made a very controlled, completely stable quick stop. The butt puckering experience was changing the tire. The trailer ROCKED with every passing truck. Glad I bought a "Trailer Saver" last week as I decided against using the jack since things were so unstable. It really saved the day. I had to use my jack pads(2 3/4" plywood pieces glued and screwed together)under it to get the height I needed. I had the tire changed pretty quick. Minimal damage was just the lower sheet metal between the front tire and steps was torn loose from where it attached to the frame. I was able to reattach it on the spot with my screw gun. Camping world was only 35 mi away and a quick phone call comfirmed they had G614's in stock. After our arrival there they were very accommodating and we were out of there in 3 hours with 4 new G614's. We drove a while until we were in Cleveland Tn, decided to stop for the night, at a Cracker Barrel. Went to check the air pressure in the morning; 3 were 10-20psi low, 1 was at 20 psi. All were leaking at the valve stem/wheel joint. Glad I had my compressor. Luckily we found a tire shop open(Sun morning), had 4 new valve stems put in, end of problem(so far)! Now we're sittin in St. Joe Peninsula State Park, Fl for 2 weeks, hoping we don't get run out from tropical weather. We'll be heading home the last week of August. I'll take up the issue of bad valve stems with Camping World and the POS Marathons with Goodyear. I kept my shredded tire and completely detached tread(which was wrapped all around the axle between the brake and spring hanger). I have always check my tire pressures and these Marathons were at 80 psi since we bought it, including checking them Sat morning. I blame both Goodyear and Keystone for these failures; Goodyear for having so many Marathon failures(google it), and mostly Keystone for installing a E tire where a G tire should be called for. The 3665 weight is right at the max rating of these tires with no margin. They should NOT be used on this trailer and I should not be out $1600 to pay for their "budgeting". Laying on the ground, under the trailer on a mountain descent, in a blind turn and heavy traffic, well it was about as scary as any burning building I've had to run into!

mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Careful there are some China Bomb apologists in the forum. From experience I know the Marathons are dangerous pieces of crap. Glad no one was hurt.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You'll find the tires will not carry not much more weight than the axles call for and that the combined axles weight ratings are BELOW the gross vehicle weight rating because they always discount the pin weight that is carried by the tow vehicles hitch or the landing gear. I believe this is the justification for all Trailer manufacturers to use lesser rated tires since they can discount the 15% pin weight of a trailer's gross weight when picking tires to use.

I am puzzled about the stems. How did that failure occur requiring you to replace them later? It would anger me knowing I had brand new tires and they were being impacted by stems that were losing that much air. Didn't CW replace the stems? Were they the stronger metal stems and these needed replacing? I have heard that these can fail but all four?

What about your spare? Is it one of the remaining Marabombs?

I share your discomfort since I had to change a DRIVER'S side tire on a travel trailer several years ago on a busy interstate (I-5 Grapevine) downhill with semi-trucks blowing by. It only took me over an hour to do this because it was not as a heavy traffic day as it could have been and I had ALL the right tools. I spent a lot of time rolling under the rig when traffic was close, and I was 40 something at the time. Nowadays with a bigger rig and older bones and muscles, I kinda wonder... but necessity and adrenaline may work wonders.

Glad you're safe and you can tell your tale.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Wow, I don't ever recall anyone defending any of the Chinese made tires here, I'm sure I could be wrong. Too many of us have had failures, some catastrophic, of both Goodyear and Mission to make that a viable argument.

When you had the G614's installed, did they put in all metal valve stems? If not, I would definitely recommend the metal ones for the G614's.

r,
Jack
Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
The argument got so heated the thread was locked.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #6
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
The service invoice shows a charge for "valve stems and balancing supplies". There are NO balancing weights on any of the rims. The stems are rubber and had debris around the bases and in the stem valves. When I checked the tire pressure the next morning I could hear air leaking thru the valves. Using my fingernail to "reset" the valve and clear it I was rewarded with a faceful of tiny particles and any sideways pressure on the stem would cause a leak as well. The stems were replaced Sunday morning as I said, and today they're still the exact same pressure. I'll be keeping close tabs on this until we get home at the end of August. Then I'll be paying Camping World a visit! As far as Keystone goes, I know they can justify their weight and tire ratings and claim no fault, BUT, why do they instal G rated tires on a rim rated for E tire pressures? My rims are stamped 115psi. The G's are an 80 psi tire! The Marathons don't come in a E tire. That's the point: 115psi wheels used for an 80psi tire. Did the bean counters or the engineers clear this? By the way, my spare is still a Marathon, on a steel wheel. Just plain forgot to see if that rim is rated for 115. When I return home I will check it out. Now I just want to enjoy some fishing and sweltering weather!
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
The good news is that you were not injured during your ordeal...enjoy the rest of your trip...you have earned it!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #8
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
mobil,
You may find weights on the back of the rims??? Also, when you return to CW insist on the metal valve stems.

r,
Jack
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ditto on the stems. They MUST be rated for 110 psi. I think some rubber/steel stems meet that requirement but in any case be sure they have the proper rating.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote