Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Over the air tv antennae

We have a part time functioning tv in the slide out entertainment center- My hope is some MOCer has replaced the tv coax from the junction box to the tv in the entertainment center- Is the coax routed through the underbelly? Or does it travel under the roof? How does one install a new coax? My THANX in advance for any knowledge y'all share with me- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
This is purely supposition, but if it were me trying to do the same, I would be tempted to take one end of the coax, connect it to the other with a threaded connection, gorilla tape all of that together so that the two pieces cannot pull apart, then use the existing coax to pull a new length through. Just a rambling thought that can be taken with a grain of salt.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I tried BINGOS idea it did not work. I ran a new coax along the belly. I used coax designed for underground use. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Just as a check, have you tried replacing the 'f connectors' the ends of the coax cable? If these are loose they can create a problem. It may save you from installing a new cable.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Good idea on the "F" connector.

If I were going to try and string another coax, that is exactly what I would use. A good nylong string that will withstand some pulling. Tie and tape the string to the end of the existing coax. Pull the old coax out with the string attached. If it all comes through okay, then you just reverse the process and tie the new coax to the string and pull it back through. On pulling the new coax back through I would place another string along side the new coax, ad if successful pulling both through I'd leave the new string and coax in-place with a note attached stating where the coax and string went to. (for the next time.) If nothing pulls through, you are still faced with re-coaxing from the outside.

Good luck.

Whew! To much work!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
You might want to check all your inside and outside connectors first. I had initial problems with my coax. On mine, it was routed underneath in a large wiring bundle. I found an access point under there and opened the hastily black taped connection around the coax at the barrel connectors, which were the connection point to the entertainment slide. All three in the bundle were loose, taking about 1 1/2 turns to tighten. They were also wet, so I allowed them to dry and bought some self vulcanizing tape. The stuff stretches quite a bit and sticks to itself. Got it at West Marine. It will totally waterproof the connection. Anyhow, it worked for me.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I agree with checking all the connections first, especially any splitters and such. When these go bad they may still look good but I believe they can look good and still be bad.