Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #1
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Lippert - Alignment

I don't know if this is the right arena to post this but . . .
I know my 10 month old 2010 3400RL has issues with the front axle. I put some new tires on recently and the Goodyear guy pointed out that the right front tire was cupping on the outside - he indicated that the "camber" was off and the only way to make it right was (1) replace the axle or (2) get a "reputable" (however you determine that) alignment shop to bend the axle and realign it, of the four tires this seemed to be the only one affected.
I had lined up some work at Moreyde in Goshen and called and asked if they did this kind of work, long story short they referred me to a local shop - talked to the tech who said they did lots of these RV's, particulary around rally time, and that they had worked with Lippert before on a purchase order basis.
Whew! My question is, before I call Lippert, - (1)has anyone dealt with Lippert about alignment and (2) should this be considered a warranty issue?
I'm on my way to Goshen for the rally, hope to get something resolved there, these tires are too expensive (614's) to chew up.
Thanks,
Jerry

Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Jerry,
I can tell you this about aligning the axles on our 3150RL. My new GY614s were wearing on the inside due to an alignment problem. I had my axles aligned at a very reputable alignment shop. They did it with a warning before they did it.

A chain is wrapped around the axle and is used to pull and tug and bend the axle to where it should be. Doing this leaves chain link dents in the axle which weakens the axle. The axle may or may not stay in alignment.
With this said my axles are 6000lb axles on the 3150RL and they are a lesser gauge steel tube than your 7000lb axles. Your alignment may work out just fine. I don't know.

The alignment is just a temp cure for me. I am in the process of replacing my axles with 7000lb HD axles with 6 leaf springs. There are also different gauges of steel for 7000lb axles as it was explained to me during the ordering process at the spring shop shop.

Actually theses light duty trailer axles are not designed to be aligned. It will weaken them to a degree. Most places will tell you they need to be replaced. I really don't think it is a sales job either. I think some of these units are pushing their weight limit for the axles. It does not take much to cause the axles to lose their camber. These axles are losing their camber to quickly and easily.

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:43 AM   #3
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Ifthe tire is cupping, is this not a balance problem? My alignment problem caused the tire to wear on the inside.

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I had an axle replaced last year because of excessive wear on the inside of the left rear tire. I opted for replacement over alignment because the axle was only $149.00 plus labor. It probably would have cost close to that to have it aligned.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Jerry,
If Bud's body shop was recommended to you then you still have not found a reputable shop. Go spend your money elsewhere. It is hard to find a shop that has the equipment and knowhow to do this right and Bud's is NOT one of them.
8.1al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Jerry: If you are looking to keep the trailer any time at all - look at MorRyde and their IS suspension while in Goshen. Independent suspension and each wheel can be aligned; very nice product. I do not have right now -- I upgraded from 6 to 7K axles with Trailaire Centerpoint (airbag) suspension and do regret being talked out of the IS. If we decide to keep our current SOB I plan on upgrading again to the IS. Everyone I've heard from that has it swear by it!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I second what skypilot says. I have the system and it is great!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Thanks for the info guys. I had the new tires balanced when they were put on and they are scrubbing the outside just like the original Marathons.
I'm still gonna see what Lippert has to say.
Jerry
Old 09-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jerry,
If the rig is ONLY 10 months old I'd definitely check with the dealer! It should be under warranty. If you're going to be at the MOC Fall Rally then I'd definitely let the Keystone Reps know what is going on. I would think either Lippert and or Keystone ought to step forward on your practically new rig! Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #10
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
My dealer here in central WI, said alignments are NOT covered by Montana? I went around with them on this, & they(dealer) paid for the axle alignment on mine. Very reputable dealer here, that's why I continue to buy from them.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I doubt alignment is covered for very long, if at all. Usually they tell you (past experience) alignment problems are caused by either being overweight or hitting something hard, like a curb or pothole. No way do these axles stand up like a truck axle does.

Our 2007 came with 6,000 lb axles and we had tire problems with them. We swapped them out for the 7,000 lb axles with the then brand new self adjusting brakes. We've had no problems in more than 2 1/2 years. Your 2010, however, probably came with the 7,000 lb axles from the factory.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Took the rig to Keystone Service Center in Goshen. They checked out a bunch of "stuff", sent me to Lippert to check on negative frame camber among other things, long story short they found that the axles were not quite parallel to each other, and result was scrubbing the outside of the right front tire. Sent me to a local alignment shop who worked on it a couple hours and said it was now "fixed".
We'll see.
Jerry
Old 10-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Good luck with the axles Jerry
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jdrobone

Took the rig to Keystone Service Center in Goshen. They checked out a bunch of "stuff", sent me to Lippert to check on negative frame camber among other things, long story short they found that the axles were not quite parallel to each other, and result was scrubbing the outside of the right front tire. Sent me to a local alignment shop who worked on it a couple hours and said it was now "fixed".
We'll see.
Jerry
I would be interested in knowing what they did to correct the problem. The axles are held in location by a pin that fits in a hole in the spring (or vice-versa, I don't remember which). Maybe you were missing the pin, or it was sheared off.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If the problem was the axles out of parallel then it should be scrubbing more than one tire.
8.1al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
skypilot why don't you like the counterpoint setup?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #17
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Haven't put enough miles on the new setup yet to tell if there's any improvement in wear or not.
Jerry