Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Service while traveling

Has anyone experienced the " you didn't buy it from us so you go to the end of the line" from an Keystone dealer. I had this happen in St Louis when air conditioner problems poped up. They troubleshot the problem and ordered the parts which took 9 days due to the fact the parts were not ordered for 5 days. When the parts came in I was told it would be 9 days before I could get a service appointment. I could not wait so we agreed to disagree. Keystone customer service stated there was little pressure they could bring since the down turn in the industry. To quote the service rep, " I don't care what Keystone want's or what you want, we are going to do what I want and that's to take care of customers who bought from us.

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Who is this charming individual and what dealership does he work for? I want to make sure I avoid them if I'm ever in the area.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Yes I have heard it and hate to say it but it makes sense.
When my father had service on his automatic transmission at AMECO he was told you are a new customer I hate to do this but this man needs to go ahead because we serviced him and he still has problems. We take current customers before new to get him back on the road. Once you are our customer I would expect you would want the same thing.

The RV dealer ship is reacting the same way. The bigger problem is all service centers do not react to the same set of standards. The way the service man stated their policy is crude but real. They support the local money before the once and gone.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Our unit is way out of warranty so we don't necessarily try to do business with Keystone franchises- Some of the best service we have received has been at service centers that do not sell RVs- We have always been accommadated(sp?) in a reasonable time frame and we return to these business's when in the area- The Keystone franchises we have frequented have tried to be helpful- We just try to understand their perspective- I guess we are just lucky that we rarely have a deadline to be somewhere- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You have to remember that each dealership has a cadre of returning customers who they must take care of first. That's just good business. Having said that, a good dealership will take in a traveler by shifting a technician or two off the jobs they are on just to take care of you. Note that I said a "good" dealership. The dealers are in business to make money so I have to side with them some. My dealer, who I've dealt with for 34 years has told me that he's had several people who wouldn't buy from him because he was $500-$1000 higher than another place 100 miles away. So they go and buy their rig from the other dealer and then "demand" immediate warranty work done on their rig. Come to find out, the other dealer didn't service RVs!! Too bad, so sad.

I buy from my dealer because of his attention to details on my rigs. I've never had difficulty getting service when traveling in the 10 years we've been full timing. In fact when we had a slideout break in Blythe, CA, I called Beaudry RV in Tucson and told them of my difficulty. They said they were booked solid for the next two weeks, but if you get here, we'll get you in -- and they did.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
herewegotogether
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9367
What you describe is one of our biggest worries going fultime. Our Dealer is a Route 66 Dealer and according to him this organization of dealers (150 accross the country)must service any route 66 rv owner as if they purchased from them. The dealers are invited into the org. and must maintain top customer service or they lose their route 66 rating. In addition we receive a route 66 discount card for any purchases at those dealerships.
herewegotogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have been very fortunate. We have heard the above a few times but have gotten good service from local RV repair places that are recommended by whatever park we are in at the time. Most of these also do warranty work, latest example being the front landing gears in the motor going out in Bullhead City, AZ this spring and J&L RV Repair Service taking quick and good care of us. This was also done under our GS Extended Warranty service.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by herewegotogether

What you describe is one of our biggest worries going fultime. Our Dealer is a Route 66 Dealer and according to him this organization of dealers (150 accross the country)must service any route 66 rv owner as if they purchased from them. The dealers are invited into the org. and must maintain top customer service or they lose their route 66 rating. In addition we receive a route 66 discount card for any purchases at those dealerships.
I think you are worrying for nothing. Actually, worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair--you rock back and forth and don't get anywhere. We had some misgivings about going full time when we bought our rig in 2000 but the travel experience and making new friends has been delightful. We now see out kids and their families at least once a year. They're scattered all over so we go visit them and still are able to "go home."

Go for it and don't look back!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is what we have done since we have been on the road. When still under warranty we would first call the Keystone service center and they would clear the way for us.Never had a problem with a dealer Keystone had contacted first refusing service. Now out of warranty we still call keystone first and let them recommend a dealer or repair facility for us. We we had our axle problem in Michigan we called keystone and they found the nearest dealer and set up the service for us. The owner met us when we pulled in and provided us with power and water for a overnight stay. They were very nice to us and did a good repair job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
We have had one serious problem when on the road that required some warranty work. We were in FL during the rainy season and had a major leak. One dealer (I called on the phone) was no help at all, and wanted to make an appointment for the following week. The second dealer (we 'dropped in') immediately pulled a tech of a rig upon which he was working, put him working on our leak, and fixed it right then.

So you don't really know how they will treat you until you need them.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've never had this problem but know others who have. Our own "home" dealer used to do that but when I talked to the owner when they turned down our friends he said the service dept is supposed to do that only for those who live in his area but bought elsewhere to save money. Our friends were from several states away. He said he would clarify the policy with his service dept.

I like Rich's idea of calling Keystone and letting them identify a dealer and set up an appt. I never thought of that. Excellent idea, Rich.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
All,
Thanks for the input. I fully understand dealers needing to take care of their customers and they are in business to make a living. However, 30 minutes out of this dealers day would have taken care of my problem. I think Rich's suggestion is the way I will go. Let Keystone reps pave the way. By the way, I fixed my own problem, it was a loose wire inside a crimped wire nut not a defective thermostat.
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote