Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Awining Adjustments

After installing a awning lock according to the instructions and successfully having it lock into the drilled hole, I am having awning problems. I don't think they are related to the awning lock. Here is the problem, facing the awning, the right leg of the awning will not fold up correctly to allow the inner stablizer arm to fit into the outer awning support leg. The left awning stablizer and support nest together as designed. This started to happen after we had the awning extended for several days at the Rally. Several people offerred solutions like centering the awning on the roller--it worked better when it was not centered. I was able to get the awning stored but don't feel like I corrected the problem. Are there any instructions for adjusting the awning for correct storage.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by timandsusan

After installing a awning lock according to the instructions and successfully having it lock into the drilled hole, I am having awning problems. I don't think they are related to the awning lock. Here is the problem, facing the awning, the right leg of the awning will not fold up correctly to allow the inner stablizer arm to fit into the outer awning support leg. The left awning stablizer and support nest together as designed. This started to happen after we had the awning extended for several days at the Rally. Several people offerred solutions like centering the awning on the roller--it worked better when it was not centered. I was able to get the awning stored but don't feel like I corrected the problem. Are there any instructions for adjusting the awning for correct storage.
Since it works better when not center try making it even more off center. I have to pull my awing all the way to the end on the edge closest to the front to get the rods to line up.

Hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Measure the roller tube to the edge of the awning and make sure the awning is centered on the roller.
You can hold the awning and slide the roller back and forth to center it.

Hope this helps
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tim, My awning does this all the time, I just break out the ladder and push them together. I had it adjusted there at Medina Lake, in the RV shop and it worked for a day then went back. I can't seem to move the fabric in the roller. When it goes Tango Uniform I will buy the electric arms and new fabric.....I seem to think that using the deflappers all the time stretches the fabric and will not allow the arms to align properly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #5
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
2005 3400 rl. Same problem. Anchor at top of awning on trlr at front end loose and slides fwd. closed awning. got out ladder. loosened screws on anchor. aligned them with end of awning. retightened and added two additional anchor screws. This helped for about a year of heavy use. Am going to have to adjust again this year as probablem reapperaing. Screwing into the sidewalls does not allow you to tighten the anchor enough. I am add glue this time.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You have got to take the tension off the awning to center the awning on the roller. Just lift it up a bit and yank on it. Mine gets pushed off center all the time. Anyone have a idea on how to prevent that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:19 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

You have got to take the tension off the awning to center the awning on the roller. Just lift it up a bit and yank on it. Mine gets pushed off center all the time. Anyone have a idea on how to prevent that.
Rich, I read in the past when this subject came up that some will put a small screw in the track at the ends of the fabric to keep the fabric from moving.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I remember that Phil but I was concerned that it would rip the fabric. The wind will move the awning on the roller. I have mine marked as to where it should be and have Helen yank on it when needed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Thanks for the information as we are also having an alignment problem. I will try sliding the fabric and see if it helps.

Topics like this always seem to arise in a timely manner. That is a great thing about this site.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:40 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I can slide my awning in the roller so I will give it another shot! I can tell the alignment gets better when I move it. But like Phil--nothing stays very long--Oh Well--I don't use it that much.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
LOL clutch... me thinks you almost have it ....

When someone mentions something timely, it does seems to match a problem I am currently having. But even worse, when someone mentions a problem, I soon have THAT problem - well not all the time, but lots of the time (I'm still waiting for my suspension to fall apart). DW and relatives think I'm a genius because a problem occurs and I always seem to know what to do. NOT! I had just read about it on the forum! Someone in another topic mentioned this phenomenon, too!!! I call it psycho-sematic-MOC-itis. Hopefully y'all can come up with something that is easier to say.

As for this topic, the past few trips I am seeing this problem with my manual awning. The left side does not want to nestle into its home rail position just right. A good smack will do it, but I'm finding my step stool is too short and I am gonna have to breakdown and get a taller ladder cuz the smacking is more severe each time and I'm also knocking myself off the stepstool.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Our previous TT had one screw at one end only - never had the fabric rip. I put one in the Montana awning - no problem with the fabric, but that screw didn't help at all when I rubbed up against that tree!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote