Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
need furnace help

Furnace started acting up this afternoon. The blower started up then quit suddenly like it lost power (furnace did not ignite) and then clicks on and off rapidly. I took the access door off outside and shut it down out there but each time I try and turn it back on it does the same thing, fan on/off on/off on/off very rapidy and also I can hear a clicking sound which may be the from the electrical board. I have never heard of this problem before and not sure where to start.

Any ideas?

update: let it sit for about 20 minutes and turned it back on and it quit what it was doing and the fan started as normal but will not ignite, showing an ignition lock out code. I switched over to the tank I just filled but still no ignition. The other tank had quite a bit of condensation on the outside but was still 1/2 full.

wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #2
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
Try a search for furnace codes, that might help you. I remember reading something similar to your problem.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
wow, two sets of symptoms, but the second set sounds like no propane, or a bad ignition, blocked pilot, or main burner. Could be a bad board. Would need to do a hands-on check.
Kill the low voltage to the unit, then try it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
You're the expert but sure sounds like a bad board. That is pretty much what mine was doing. We ended up getting a new board. No problems since replacement.

Good luck Phil and please let us know what the problem was.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Went to bed last night with the ceremic heaters set to keep the 5er warm. About 10:30 the furnace cycled and ignited and has worked normaly since.

I did have a new circuit board and sail switch installed last December when we had problems then and it's worked great until yesterday.

I think it's possessed. LOL
Old 03-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Glad it is working again! But you are left with a problem of not knowing what the cause is.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Phil, ours did the exact same thing and it turned out to be water dripping from the malfunctioning black tank flush onto the circuit board. As soon as it would dry out, it would work fine. We also replaced a circuit board, which did not solve the problem until Bob discovered the leaking check valve.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I had a problem with similar symptoms. It turned out to be the spark wire or igniter wire. It was arcing to the exhaust pipe and the spark was lost before it got to the fire box. I replaced the wire and made sure to route it away from the exhaust. I think heat from the exhaust prematurely deteriorated the coating on the wire. Haven't had a problem since.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
thanks for the insight folks, I'll check out all those sugesstions.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
my furnace would not lite either .pulled the whole furnace out.took to a rv shop and did a bench check.it would not light for them ether.there is a sensor that checks the rpm of the blower for the right rpm before the furnace will light .the tech unplugged the senor and plugged it back in tested it a dozen times and worked fine.could not get it to fail.no charge. the furnace has been working fine since.try unpugging that sensor clean the connection.hope that hopes
thor is offline   Reply With Quote