Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
RUBBER ROOF

Does anyone have experience or opinion on using a power washer on their roof? I suspect you would stay away from anything coming out of the roof and surrounding caulking.

Alan

ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I have seen people pressure wash their RV roof at campgrounds but I would not suggest it or would I use a pressure washer on my roof. The high pressure could penetrate the joints and caulking around the vents, skylights, air conditioner etc. I know you could try to avoid it but accidents happen and you be asking for a leak to start. I've also seen a pressure washer remove paint on a car.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I would not do it. The preasure alone could put a hole in that rubber no matter how careful you try to be. I wash mine down with soapy water and a long handle brush after every trip. If I have sap build-up or a heavy stain I will put a little extra effort into those area's with some dawn and a stiffer brush. Really just trying to insure it is not put away with loose dirt on it. One thing I have learned on these RV roofs is that they are never going to look brand new after some time/travel. Hell, they are 12'6" in the air. Who is going to look at them anyway.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I would not do it for the reasons noted above...blowing out the sealant and even blowing a hole in the rubber roof.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have used Dawn, (non citrus based), and a long handled brush. When I was in Alaska and had a house painted, the crew used a power washer to remove old paint. The guy actually sprayed thru a 2 X 4, demonstration only. I let a wash company do my rig one time and they used a power washer and when they got thru my GFCI tripped and it was 2 days before the back of the refer dried out and the GFCI stayed on.

On hard to remove stains, I have used Awesome straight and rinsed immediately. On pine tar I used rubbing alcohol, then Dawn. My roof doesn't look like new but there's only one Person who looks at it permanently and I don't think He really cares.

In other words, I would stay away from a power washer, unless it is VERY Low power.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimcol
[they are 12'6" in the air. Who is going to look at them anyway.
Jim, I agree with you and don't very often clean our roof. But I could not resist posting this picture of the attendees at the first MOC rally (2004), taken from the roof of our Montana. The owner of that Big Sky, according to what his wife told me later, was so embarrased by this picture showing the roof of their rig that when they got home he crawled up and scrubbed the roof! This picture was in the official rally pictures.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Rubber roofs should be cleaned with a rubber roof cleaner available at most RV stores. After cleaning the roof, a conditioner should be applied. Combination cleaner/conditioners are also available. Vinyl roofs, how ever, can be cleaned with Dawn or Murphys soap.

Instructions for cleaning RV roofs should be available from your RV Dealer. Don't use the wrong cleaner and take a chance of voiding your warranty.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Before Dicor came out with their own products their website specified Dawn dishwashing liquid as the product of choice. So did their literature that came with one of our early Montanas. I don't know if they had a deal with P&G or whoever makes Dawn, or not. I believe they also said this will work at the rally presentation when asked that question.

They also said do NOT use anything that is citrus based, as well as nothing with petroleum distillates. The citrus based products draws birds and squirrels. They think it's food and go digging or pecking to get at the fruit they know has to be there somewhere.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote