Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Low Point Drains - how effective?

When I winterize before dropping RV off in Storage Lot, after turning off the water I open the low point drains (which gush briefly), close the HW Heater Bypass, then use my air compressor with blowing technique as the DW opens each faucet and the toilet valve. She claims hardly anything ever comes out. I also leave the faucets and drains open for the drive back, and while in storage. So are the low point drains that low/effective?

Living in mid-AL, I've never been concerned before as hard freezes are not annual occurrences, but as everyone in the East (Even much of FL!) is facing, an unusually cold week is ahead with lows in the 20's for several mornings...
Of course we put the pink stuff in the drains and toilet and drained the waste tanks and water heater too.
Your opinions or experience are appreciated!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I don't see much when opening drains either. but blowing out your lines and using rv antifreeze is still the safest thing to do. I see you did not say it but you do open and drain your hot water tank also? just thought i would ask.

on edit, should have read it again, yes you do..
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Don't forget outside shower and inside shower.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

Don't forget outside shower and inside shower.
Hugh
And the washing machine if so equipped!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Yes, we remembered the inside and outside showers, but did have to go back / redo the W/D closet faucets. Hard to remember they're there...
Old 01-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
If any of you are interested I can e-mail you a nice checklist for winterizing....let me know.
Jack
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
It is important to note that whether you have a washer/dryer or not, most Montana units have the piping for them already installed and you need to blow that line down/fill with anti-freeze regardless.

Also, anyone who has installed a water filter system remember to remove the bowl/filter assembly as well.....don't ask how I learned this.....
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Here is another item that I have been wondering about. We are about to replace the replacement kitchen faucet that I installed a year and a half ago. The reason is that the outer sleeve is leaking when the spray function is used. When the dishwasher quick-connect is hooked up it actually blows the barrel off of the faucet!! I have never thought of it before, but when winterizing, we always turn the kitchen faucet on to winterize. Never thought about making sure the pink stuff comes out the sprayer also. They are both on the same faucet. I think that by not turning the sprayer on during the winterization process, that we left water in the outer barrel of the faucet. Anybody ever thought about this, I have never seen this posted on the forum, but I do know that I now have to replace the faucet this spring. food for thought!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We were concerned about missing the washer lines since we do not have the washer/dryer unit installed. Also in order to blow out or fill the lines the faucets were not convenient. In order to relieve concern about draining these lines we put two shut off valves , in our case under the bathroom sink, that isolated the two washer lines so they are no longer an issue. If we ever decide to have a washer we only need to open the valves.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DnDatGrdJct

We were concerned about missing the washer lines since we do not have the washer/dryer unit installed. Also in order to blow out or fill the lines the faucets were not convenient. In order to relieve concern about draining these lines we put two shut off valves , in our case under the bathroom sink, that isolated the two washer lines so they are no longer an issue. If we ever decide to have a washer we only need to open the valves.

Dean
Good idea Dean....sounds like another project to add to the Montana "To-Do" list
Jack
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I installed two shut offs for the washer in the basement. Our washer is next to the front closet in the bedroom and the water lines run right along the basement ceiling. now I need to think about installing two drains there also.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Whoops, setting up last week in LA, I made sure all the faucets were closed and hooked up the water - but FORGOT to close the W/D Closet Cold Water Faucet so I had to clean up about a gallon of water...Fortunately a bucket I keep in that closet caught a lot of it and I have a wet/dry Shop-Vac on board. So far, no evidence of any freezing weather damage to the plumbing.
Thanks for all the advice and checklist!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Good idaas about installing cut off valves for the washer. Please rememeber that if you have and use a washer/dryer that water still may be in the washer even after draining. I turn the washer on and allow it to take in a small amount of antifreeze then turn the washer off. At start up I just run the wassher through a cylce to remove the pink stuff.
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote