Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2003, 06:33 AM   #1
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Montana Sewer Line Improvements

We met a Montana Owner from Seattle who showed me a couple of neat improvements that he had made to his waste water plumbing system. One was an added gate valve in the 3" plastic discharge line just ahead of the outlet cap. He told me that this lets him open the discharge valve from the large grey water tank if it gets full (too soon) and connect it to the galley grey water tank by opening that discharge valve. This connection then ballances the two tanks and gives a little more capacity in the grey water department. I don't think that it would be a good idea to travel very far with the connecting lines full of liquid.

Using this arrangement also puts a gate valve just ahead of the discharge line dump cap that has another benefit. Closing the gate valve after dumping and flushing the black tank and discharge line should eliminate the problem of finding several ounces of effluent in the line and draining out as you remove the cap from the discharge line before you can get the discharge hose connected. With this gate valve closed removing the cap and attaching the discharge hose should be a dry process.

This all comes to mind as I read some blackwater discussion elsewhere and remembered somethings from a recent trip.
One of them was ocassionally finding those several onces of effluent behind the cap as I removed it to connect the outlet hose. Another surprising occurance was on about 3 ocassions was finding that there was a considerable air preasure along with that fluid as I removed the cap. This situation did not occur all of the time. But if the system is vented properly should not ever happen.

Right now I'm thinking about using the gate valve modification but think that the other problem should be corrected at the same time.

Does anybody have similar experiences to share and a correction for the problem?

Random Line

2002 F 350, CC, 7.3L, Auto, 4x4, SB, SRW
2003 Montana 3255RL

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote