Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #1
Tom - Shannon
Established Member

M.O.C. #13281
extreme sway / movement

Here is where we are at with our 3402RL RV sway/movement problem. We purchased from Pete's RV, Schererville, In. Per Pete's RV instructions, I took to RV dealer in southern Ind who while on the phone with Lippert ran Monty through every test possible. The dealers conclusion was they can do nothing to get the shaking out. They said the jacks are too small and give when Monty is raised, lowered, etc. I'm on my 3rd person at Pete's RV and he is going to talk with Keystone and see what can be done. We also have a popping sound and the RV shakes, Lippert is aware of this problem and has a fact sheet for dealers where taking 1 qt. of oil out of reservoir and adding 1 qt of a grade 15 oil (Torco REF Grade 15)will supposedly solve this problem. We are living fulltime in the RV and just starting out with our dream of workamping. All we want is our RV to be right. What a let down.

Tom - Shannon

Tom - Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I don't think there ever completely right.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have many members who've both added it and who got it original and are very happy with their rigs. Something has to be wrong.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Perhaps you should think about pushing for a factory tech to come and do a "hands on" on your unit or if the trip isn't too far, make an appointment with the service center. I've worked with hydraulics for a long time ... I don't know what all the components are in the level up system (I assume that's what we're talking about), but I do know you cannot rely on a directional valve to hold position alone as even new valves have something near a 1% internal leak rate on the spool. There surely is a check valve(s) or a poppet/seat of some sorts to hold position of all the cylinders. One of the above could be faulty. Another possibility is one of your cylinders has bad piston seals. I'm assuming here, the air has been worked out of the system and the fluid level has always been adequate as to not suck air when cycling. Have you noticed any leaks at all at the pump, any valve, any fitting, hose, or cylinder rod seal? I can only guess the oil recomendation was to compensate for cooler weather or has added antifoaming agents. It would take many cycles to get that oil mixed to all components if ever assuming they just drained a bit out of the reservoir and dumped the Torco in.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
What kind of shaking are y'all talking about? It is normal for some movement when you move around. If RVs were rigid, they would break when you moved them. My old house would shake when my boys ran from one end to the other
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote