Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #41
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
A very important issue already mentioned is braking. While the load rating might appear fine or within limits, what about the brakes? Perhaps engineers have that factored in the calculations, I don't know. I do know my F450 brakes get very hot, and they have large surfaces to dissipate heat. Recently after coming off steep grades, leaving Cheyenne headed West, a 2500 pickup next to me at a truck stop, was really hot. They were towing a SOB (heavy) and the heat coming off the wheels was incredible. I also have been told, front axles also can become a factor. I am not a gear head so my observations might be wrong?

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
All legal issues aside, I can tell you from experience that while a 3/4 ton (diesel) will have little trouble pulling your Montana, it will simply wear it out faster. Stuff will start falling off from the truck. Each trip to and from Florida the last few years with my faithful 2002 GMC 2500HD D/A cost me an extra $400+ in unexpected expenses - not to mention down time. I upgrade this year and I never gave a 3/4 ton a thought. 1 ton all the way...

On Edit~ Also my SRW brakes are awesome. GM has really greatly improved their brakes - larger and a hardening process that made all stops on my 1,400 mile trip a breeze. I really felt in control, even in "panic stop" situations. I did not get that impression with my 2500...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As has been said many many times before...towing is not the issue, all diesel's can "pull" any Montana. Carrying the pin weight is the issue.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #44
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobcat92

When we bought our trailer we did a lot of research and determined that our truck would safely tow it. We have taken it to the scales three times and are within the ratings of the truck.
I have read this several times and I just have to reply. I refer to the link provided. Page 54
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2002/fsersdcd.pdf
A 2002 F250 CC 8'box PSD has a payload rating of 1,795 lbs. Add 2 adults, fuel, hitch and you are down to about 1,000 lbs of actual payload. The pin weight of a 3100 loaded for travel will be close to 3,000lbs.

Referring to the 2002 Trailer Life Towing Guide, (page 9) shows a F250 PSD to have a tow rating of 12,800-13,200lbs. A loaded 3100 will be over 14K.
http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2002.pdf

There is NO WAY a 2002 F250 can be under the 8,800 GVWR or under the rear axle GAWR of 6,084 lbs. There are heavy spring options, but the GVWR of 8800 lbs remains unchanged.

If you have CAT scale weights to prove me wrong, I will be the first to eat crow. (no feathers and over a nice charcoal fire)

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #45
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Any members out there that are current or retired over-the-road truck drivers? Would like to hear their thoughts since this issue has come up in different posts. The gentlemen I purchased my Monte from was a retired driver and he had a 3/4 ton beefed up Ram SRW.
I owned a towing co (wreckers ) for 35 years. No idea how many miles I've driven or accidents I've seen and been in myself to include rolling over a travel trailer and Suburban . The Suburban was within limits by spec. The best hitch made broke and caused loss of control. My philosophy is SAFETY FIRST! The very best drivers have accidents.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #46
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC
Any members out there that are current or retired over-the-road truck drivers? Would like to hear their thoughts since this issue has come up in different posts. The gentlemen I purchased my Monte from was a retired driver and he had a 3/4 ton beefed up Ram SRW.
I owned a towing co (wreckers ) for 35 years. No idea how many miles I've driven or accidents I've seen and been in myself to include rolling over a travel trailer and Suburban . The Suburban was within limits by spec. The best hitch made broke and caused loss of control. My philosophy is SAFETY FIRST! The very best drivers have accidents.
Sorry, Larry.. I missed that... I know it's late and I am tired, but can you try that again? I missed the point. Probably just me...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #47
fawnhaven
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12349
Send a message via MSN to fawnhaven
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by okierver

anybody pulling a 3625 re. what is your tow vehicle and how does it handle the montana
fawnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #48
fawnhaven
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12349
Send a message via MSN to fawnhaven
[quote]Originally posted by okierver

anybody pulling a 3625 re. what is your tow vehicle and how does it handle the montana

I have a 2010 Silverado 3500 HD SWD Long Bed Club Cab, Deisel. We tow a 3455SA
with ease. I think the LONG BED helps. No sway, just smooth
sailing. Climb HWY 8 from Ocitillo to San Diego easy. About
9 miles.
fawnhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #49
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
[quote]quote:Originally posted by fawnhaven

Quote:
Originally posted by okierver

9 miles.
JMHO, but anybody looking for a TV needs to ignore the "pulls fine, tows great" posts from anybody with a late model diesel truck. Any diesel pick up, from the big three, will haul any Montana "fine and tow it great." The key question is can it carry the pin weight of the heavy Montana and remain in specs. I need a dually for my 14k 07 3400RL. If anybody is thinking of a new Montana weighing 16k...do the numbers.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #50
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
[quote]quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fawnhaven

Quote:
Originally posted by okierver

9 miles.
JMHO, but anybody looking for a TV needs to ignore the "pulls fine, tows great" posts from anybody with a late model diesel truck. Any diesel pick up, from the big three, will haul any Montana "fine and tow it great." The key question is can it carry the pin weight of the heavy Montana and remain in specs. I need a dually for my 14k 07 3400RL. If anybody is thinking of a new Montana weighing 16k...do the numbers.
Safety-Safety-I fully agree ignore "pulls fine,pulling for years,etc. DO THE NUMBERS. Our dually parking is a con but travelling I always feel the dually is a great "pro". Read my post about the Ford F150 pulling the Big Sky. As one person commented someday we will see weigh scales mandatory if we continue to ignore the numbers. Being in the trucking industry I know first hand being declared "Out of Service until repairs made" will cause you time and big money. On a side note locally the state transport police(state weight police) have been stopping small utility trailers for improper safety chain use , weight, and improper lights.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #51
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
I am a professional truck driver and I have been OTR before but not in the last 20 yrs. That being said, I would not use a class C truck to pull a Class A load, not only because of legal issues but because the truck will not control the load in an emergency or in an extreme situation, say someone pulling out in front of you (brakes) for example! You pay for insurance, why not have a little insurance in the fact that you have a little more truck under you with a little larger capacities than you need? Yes it is true that engineers build to 3 times rated capability but for the cost difference I like to breathe a little easier! This is the reason that I am going to be pulling my fiver with a f450 instead of a f350 dually. The hauling capacity of the 450 is not the reason but the larger diameter brake rotors and ability to stop all this quicker! I personally would not skimp or try to get by with less just to save a few bucks and then put myself and my wife or whoever is with me! Sorry if I sound like I am judging anyone, I am simply stating the way I look at it! As several on here say "IMHO". Thanks and happy travels!
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #52
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
oops "with me at risk."
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote