Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The main thing to watch in addition to the slide functions is to always, repeat always make sure the bedroom door is closed!!! I always visually check it each and every time before retracting slides. I have seen many displays on RV lots with that door missing and the reason is obvious!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The main thing to watch in addition to the slide functions is to always, repeat always make sure the bedroom door is closed!!! I always visually check it each and every time before retracting slides. I have seen many displays on RV lots with that door missing and the reason is obvious!!
Bingo
Yes, too bad the bathroom sink location did not allow for a pocket door to the bedroom.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Yes! "Bingo is right"! We put a magnetic door stop, to insure bedroom door stays open, against the wall, during transport ! The floor binding strap, used to hold door open was not convienent ! Some do close the bedroom door when traveling, but door can interfere with slide in some unique situations. We prefer fully opened against magnet door stop, from home depot! Oh if you get "ladder chair" it goes in front of fridge on the road next to closed bathroom door! Funny how my walk through did not cover these little pearls of wisdom!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The ladder chair will also sit comfortably between the sofas in the living room when the slides are retracted. Artemus, I am a little confused about the slides interacting with the closed door? Can you explain in a little more detail. We have always kept ours closed without any problems?
Bingo
Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #25
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ok ladder chair will fit upstairs, but I had 6 levels of back surgery and I can drag rather than lift it! Its pretty heavy! Our Montana came with plastic strap attached to wall "button type" with snap fitting on door, designed to keep door open. If you shut my bedroom door and don't strap door open against the wall, the closet slide hits the door knob. The bedroom slide has plenty of room to pass by knob if door is strapped to wall. I bought a "door stop" that has a magnet in the part mounted to wall. The door stop then will stick to the wall portion! The strap required getting on ground or bending over to use it. Hope that helps
Old 09-12-2013, 01:48 AM   #26
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
I'm picking the rig up today. I'm going to go over this in detail with the sales rep who does the demo.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #27
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
We also leave the bedroom door open synched by the plastic strap snap and I also added the door stop. As for the ladder chair, we put it at the end of the dining table with the front legs straddled over the closest feet of the table. Doing it this way locks the chair in place and their is enough space between the chair back and the kitchen counter to run the slide in.
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Interesting details about the door strap. Our pre-historic version (2011) of the 3750 did not have a strap installed, and truthfully, I had never considered leaving the door open. And I will agree that the ladder chair is absolutely way too heavy. When we are set up, the chair does remain at the end of the dining slide table, I think the primary reason I move it up the stairs is for fear of the television coming loose (even with the straps). I set it with the back towards the tv and cover the entire chair back with a large fluffy comforter. Our storage ottoman then sits directly at the front of the chair. I don't guess there is any recommended proper way of doing it other than whatever the tech who does the walk-through feels is correct in his/her view.
Bingo
Old 09-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #29
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Interesting details about the door strap. Our pre-historic version (2011) of the 3750 did not have a strap installed, and truthfully, I had never considered leaving the door open.

I don't guess there is any recommended proper way of doing it other than whatever the tech who does the walk-through feels is correct in his/her view.
Bingo
In my opinion Bingo, you're not missing anything. You look like a fairly tall guy, as am I (plus a bad back like Artemus), and it is very difficult to get down by the bed to hook/unhook that strap. It is at the very bottom edge of the door and is strapped to the floor. Now I like Artemus' idea of the magnetic door stop - going to have to look into that. For now, I keep the door closed during travel like you, and have had no issues with the slide.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #30
Thereugo
Established Member

M.O.C. #13384
Send a message via MSN to Thereugo
Congratulations. Enjoy your new 3750FL as much as we are enjoying our 2012.
Thereugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Congratulations! We enjoy our 3750, sure hope you do too!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #32
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I love this group! We share knowledge through experience. Good judgement often manifests itself, after bad judgement! Lol. Enjoy the 3750 and feel free to ask about anything. Forgot one other thing. Our washer does not drain into gray holding tank. It's a straight shot to sewer line and sewer outlet. In our coach you must have sewer connected and "cap off" or water goes up the vent and out the roof. Some spills out on floor! Guess how I found out? Lol
Old 09-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #33
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
We signed and picked it up today! It's sitting in the driveway waiting to be loaded so we can go camping on Saturday.

A few things: our initial impression is that Montana has figured a lot of things out in the eight years we've owned our 3400RL.The cherry wood is used extensively and there is no laminate. The electronics are impressive. Even the sound system and three televisions are much improved over the cheesy Jensen plastic components previously used. A Sony Bravia tv is used in the living room. The subtle lighting in the wall cabinet that houses the tv and fireplace is great, as is the faux stone trim around the fireplace. The exterior compartment doors function much better now. Of course, the leveling system is amazing!

We love the layout and large bedroom. By the way, the bedroom door needs to be in the closed position when sliding in for our unit.

We're happy!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Congrats again Wayne and Cathy! Its like Christmas huh?

Enjoy that maiden voyage!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #35
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I hate that "I want a new RV feeling"! Thanks captbanjo!!! Lol. Really I am happy for you and look forward to updates! The learning curve is short. It will tow great and the floor plan is great. We looked at the 3850 and like it, but still plan on another 3750. My problem is an eversion to hallways, in houses and RVs. One thing about the 3750 we love. If your in bed and someone takes a shower etc. you cant hear anything. Your head is three feet away in the slide. That means no direct "thin wall" between your bed and the bathroom! That said, my wife and I also need to text each other if I go to bed early and need to be waited on! You can scream you head off from bedroom and you can't be heard in the living room! We call or text! Lol I go to bed early, she and our grown kids party all night and I hear nothing!!! Love the trailer and use it!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:45 AM   #36
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Congratulations, now you have the pleasure of revising your signature to show your new rig!
Bingo
Old 09-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #37
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Yes, I'll have to revise the signature when I get a moment.

Artemus, the 'can't hear you' thing had a whole lot to do with us buying this rig. I'm a musician and if you ever get near my rig, you're likely to hear Irish and bluegrass banjo, guitar and vocals and even ukulele music coming from it. In the past, I felt inhibited by having to practice in front of my wife (you know...practice means mistakes...). Not to mention the lack of privacy for her. Now, I have grand visions of setting up a chair in the bedroom with my axes and shutting the two doors and I'm pretty sure even the cacophonous cannon of the banjo should be fairly well muted! She can watch tv or whatever. Win/win!

I'm sure we'll find some things we don't love, but right now I'm thoroughly impressed with how far Montana has advanced their rigs! The ride was very even and smooth too.

Unfortunately, I have a wedding to perform at today so I could only help out in the morning, loading up and all. Tomorrow, it's up and out for New Hampshire!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #38
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by captbanjo

Artemus, the 'can't hear you' thing had a whole lot to do with us buying this rig.

Not to mention the lack of privacy for her. Now, I have grand visions of setting up a chair in the bedroom with my axes and shutting the two doors and I'm pretty sure even the cacophonous cannon of the banjo should be fairly well muted! She can watch tv or whatever. Win/win!

The immense distance between the living room and the bedroom, with the two jogs in the floor-plan and the two doors is awesome. Plus if you really wanted to you could close off the living room with the divider too. I always go to bed first, and I know I can't hear anything coming from the living room. The space between the bed and the wardrobe is great too. You'll have plenty of room to sit in there and practice.