Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Slow Shower Drain Problems

My shower drain seemed to be plugged up as it would drain very slow and the tub would get a couple inches of water in it when showering. So I bought a little plastic barbed snake stick and tried to clean it out. Mistake!
Apparently there is no p-trap on mine and there is some kind of a rubber one way valve bladder in the drain which caught on my snake and came out in ripped up tiny pieces! Now, if you don't stop up the drain and the Gray tank valve is open and connected to the sewer, you get a back up of nice smelling sewer gas in the shower. This took me a few months to figure out where the smell was coming from- nice!!! So now I keep the Gray valve closed and the drain stop down in the shower until I can fix it. Looked in the basement and it looks like there is a plastic tube connected in the drain which is probably where the rubber one way valve was located, but haven't removed it yet.
Anyone know anything about this?
For those of you out there with slow draining showers , DON'T snake your shower drain!!!

Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Yep, also had that same problem but didn't use a snake. You are correct about the one way bladder valve and its location. You will need to disconnect and remove the section of pipe from the shower - that's where the valve is located. I didn't have to replace mine (just clean all of the nasty stuff out!) but I would guess any camping supply place would have or could get you one. Good luck!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Chuck,
You have this PEE TRAP.
I have purchased two wanting to put one in our trailer to remove the "U" bump in the basement. Other goes in the house.
I found them on this website.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Thanks John, you're correct as usual. Just called Keystone and they said it's a HEPO valve as shown in your picture, and I had my dealer order me one. I think the slow drain problem is partially due to the pipe under the shower being almost horizontal with not much drop to the Gray tank. Thanks all.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
So how is this an improvement over the old P-trap?
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Y'all gotta be careful a pokin roun n em holes mite git bit.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Our shower would do the same thing, the longer the shower, the more water would be filling in the tub. Then I pulled out the stopper and put one of the screen strainers into the opening. Now the water goes right down.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
isn't there enough room to install a p-trap? at least if it plugs up you can take it apart and clean it
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #9
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

OK Hook, I'll have to ask, how'd you know this?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lsessoms

OK Hook, I'll have to ask, how'd you know this?
Country boys know stuff. Sent you a PM
Old 08-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ewww H. John Kohl... I wish you had called it by its proper name, P-Trap, not the phonetic name, Pee Trap. Ewwww.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
Speaking about that rubber valve, it works! We found out the hard way. On our 3400RL the washing machine drained straight into the sewer discharge......no problem, on Monty's with the washing machine by the main door. Monty's with a bedroom washing machine drain into the grey shower tank. That shower valve works so well, there was not a drop of water in the shower, but the drain in the bedroom overflowed. By pure luck Terry went to get something in the bedroom and noticed a small wet spot on the carpet, no damage done whew! Monty was only a few months old.
I wish the sales people or Keystone would let you know about this.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Judi, if'n yude mek at ole sheephoun warsh outside, you'ns not hav no trubles. Mebbe
Old 08-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #14
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Problem now solved with a new HEPvO valve installed in the Monty. As fer this ole sheepdawg, I just go aut in the rain and shake a cuple a times, then run like _ell ta dry off. Then I get dusted wit more fleapowder. Once every Saturday nite, if it's a rainin.

Hook, you take care now, that H-Cane looksamean!