Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
tow vehicle

waiting for our new 3400 to come off line and I wish to upgrade my tow vehicle, i'm looking to buy a used 4x4 DRW Diesel auto transmission, somewhere between 2002 and 2007. Can someone give me some input on gas mileage, and capability for towing this rig.

Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jack, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!" This website will save you lots of money, give you great ideas on where to go and not to go and be a very valuable resource during your ownership of your new Montana. I pull a 3400 and I upgraded my truck this Spring from a Chevy 2500 to a Chevy 3500 Duallie. Both Duramax. Your question usually starts a very heavy debate as to which truck is best. The answer is the best truck is the one you feel comfortable with. As you "Work the Weights" you may find that most 3/4s are very close to, or even over their GVWR for the truck alone or with the trailer GCWR. Does this mean they won't pull, absolutely not. Most later model duallies are weight capable, although some will still be right at gross weight. I particulary like the Duramax/Allison combination in the Chevy/GM. Others like the Dodge or Ford combos. My gas mileage will vary from about 9.5 pulling to 13.5 pulling. Mostly I am around 11 mpg. I think all the big three get around the same. As you may know there are a lot of variabiles when it comes to mpg. i.e., how you drive, am or pm, wind or not, uphill or downhill,and of course, speed. Some say they get better or worse with certain brands of fuel. My feeling, AND ONLY MINE, is if I have to closely monitor my fuel usage, I probably should'nt be RVing.

What I have said is, by no means, gospel. Everyone has an opinion and this is mine.....Good luck and hope to see you at one of our rallys.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I recommend staying away from earlier Dodges pre-2003. Their automatics can not handle the weight. All three of the newer trucks can pull the trailer. Milage will be somewhere between 10 to 12 towing for a general average.
Welcome to the forum. Your truck question will definately get some opinionated personal replys. Do your research, ask question like you have, and enjoy the RV.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the 3400RL. Happy RVing......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
One thing my dad and husband agree upon is 4WD is a definite advantage! (Dad has a 2wd Dodge and we have a 4wd Dodge both 2500 Diesels a couple of years apart.) Fuel mileage on both when towing averages about 11.9 mpg.

Enjoy!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I agree with the 4 WD. I just left my brother's yard and had to engage the front wheels to pull Hanna off the grass. Tomorrow I leave Cedar Ridge CG and it is all grass including about 150 yards to the road. I'll use 4wd high range to assist me. I don't think you would regret getting 4WD.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Any of the DRWs should be fine. Anything less may be doable, but you are on your own so far as compliance with weight limitations is concerned. Get real world weight numbers. Trucks tend to have lower carrying capacities than you expect, and trailers tend to weigh more than you expect. We have a 4 WD. Partly because we sometimes have to deal with snow, sometimes mud or soft ground, and sometimes it is just handy to be able to drop it into low range, and creep along. A lot depends on where you live and where you go.

... and welcome to the Forum, do participate and ask questions. You won't get shot down in flames on this Forum! "If you need to know the answer, it is not a stupid question".
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The more recent model trucks have much improved transmissions over the older ones. Seems to be across all brands. Our 2006 tows much better than the 2001 just because of the transmission.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #9
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Welcome Peggy and Jack, Love your taste in models (3400RL). The hard part is over, at least you know what you will be towing. You'll find a lot of good experianced advice from RV'ers here who use thier respected TV's everyday/somewhere. I own a 07.5' Dodge 3500 4x4 DRW and tow a 3400RL as you will. Love the DRW and the Monty does not even make it squat. Do your research on the new models as they all seem to have problems with the new emissions, mine has allready had a new turbo @8300 miles. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #10
cucalene
Established Member

M.O.C. #8260
Send a message via AIM to cucalene
In my personal opinion and it is mine; I love my new Silverado 2500 HD with the Duramax/Allison set up, it pulls my 3600 RE with no problems and the trans is designed for heavy loads after all it is from a truck family. I do not have a dually but would like to add airlift springs for extra leveling.
cucalene is offline   Reply With Quote