Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
More Mod's for our 3400RL

Still at it, wired in a Red indicator bulb for the obnoxious 'Scare Lights' when we use them, I want to make darn sure we don't leave them on any longer that we need them. I have been irritated by the use of them in campgrounds. Otherwise considerate people forget they are on it would seem. Put the Red bulb in the panel where the switch is.
Also mounted a Green indicator bulb (12 volt; Radio Shack) for the porch light.
Mounted a small license plate light on the inside the door step, middle of the step wall, front. This, along with Two Amber outside step lights, mounted under the top step on the wood. One on each side. The switch and fuse is in the same panel. This way, we can leave at night, have a small light inside, and Two discreet step lights.
I am copying (can't remember) a member's Amber turn signal lights on the White plastic fender over the trailer wheels.
Just thought I would update my progress, I'll take pictures of some of the Mod's as soon as I get the Monty put back together. Maybe I should take a picture of the mess, I've got tools and parts and panels off everywhere.
Take care, 102 degrees, will get hotter later in the day, heat index up to 106 tomorrow here.
See you around, Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ozz.. When you are finished with all your upgrades, if ever, that 3400 will be unrecognizable as a Keystone product. Perhaps you could start up a business of taking a stock Montana and building it to the owners spec's...There is a outfit called Americana Rv that does that with a Forest River Cardinal...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich,
Thanks for the support, but if I did it for hire, it would not be any different than the work I do on a daily basis, just work. This is a labor of Love, of sorts, I will be staying, living in it, got to have it jusssst right!
Besides, working on an RV is easily twice as hard as my work.
Since we sold our Heating and Cooling and restaurant repair business, I have just a few customers, saved some of my best ones. I have been working for a rich guy at his home, he has many businesses, runs them out of his beautiful home, I installed low voltage lighting in the yard, Sue landscaped the yard, mulched the flower beds, bought 20 or so Gardenia bushes and trees for his sun room. I repaired his kitchen low voltage lighting, installed 8 wireless cameras and wired in the transformers around his home, and even change his light bulbs for him.
This work is for Sue and I.
Take care, Ozz
Old 07-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Ozz,

Good Stuff! Keep the ideas coming; after all, this IS a Montana forum, so a lot of us are interested in what you're doing. Besides, who cares if it looks like a Keystone product when you're done, as long as you're happy!

I agree with you on those scare lights - some people think they hafta use 'em just because they are there. Parks should have a rule against using them continuosly after 11pm.

By the way, what did ya use for a 12v amp gauge?
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:45 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jim & Bev,
Thanks! I used a wall, or panel mount gauge from Sun Trek, the Gauge is $39.00; #28-622, it has to have a shunt; (Easy to install) 28-300 100 A/100 mV for $30.00. Google; http://www.suntrekenergy.com/meters.htm
Here is a picture of mine mounted above my Satellite switch; http://i7.tinypic.com/21ecbva.jpg
Ozz
Old 07-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Thanks for the info - will take a look at it. Right now, I only have a meter plugged into an outlet which, obviously, doesn't give a true reading of voltage coming in or drain - only on that circuit.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
More great ideas from our electrical wizard. You sound like you enjoy working on your Montana as much as I like working on mine. Today I started my fireplace install. I gutted out the shallow cupboard under my computer desk and what a mess. Sawdust and a plug fom a hole saw all over behind the cabinet. I re framed the opening and now I have to go to Home Depot and pick out some nice tile to cover the wood framing.
I have to get my old tile saw out. This is more fun than building models..that's for sure.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It's fun and satisfying as well.
Let's see the pictures when you are ready.
Ozz
Old 07-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will never be able to match what you are doing, just don't have the where-with-all but we will and are doing many things to make our camper suit our need better..That is part of the fun of RV'ing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:19 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

More great ideas from our electrical wizard. You sound like you enjoy working on your Montana as much as I like working on mine. Today I started my fireplace install. I gutted out the shallow cupboard under my computer desk and what a mess. Sawdust and a plug fom a hole saw all over behind the cabinet. I re framed the opening and now I have to go to Home Depot and pick out some nice tile to cover the wood framing.
I have to get my old tile saw out. This is more fun than building models..that's for sure.
Hey Don,
Thought I would post a picture of the fireplace removed, so you can see how they have the cavity, I'll post this on 'Topic; fireplace' as well. I had to pull it to get to the hollow wall and bring up my Two coax leads from my Stationary domed sat. dish.
Everything in the unit is all over the place, I know what you mean about plugs and sawdust, it all fell in my eyes when I took the plastic down under the Monty.
Ozz
http://i7.tinypic.com/21kgtn9.jpg
Old 07-31-2006, 06:20 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dupe, sorry.