Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
In need of some quick help (UPDATE)

Hello all, got back from camping this morning from camping this weekend. Everything in the trailer working just great (only a month and a half old now). Got home, got it parked, opened the slides and unloaded. Put the slides back in and everything was fine. The trailer is plugged in like always and all is well in that area (no blown fuses water level in batteries fine). My mother in law came over and wanted to see inside the trailer. I went out, opened the slides, we walked around a few minutes and then I shut the slides. Came in the house and realized I had forgotten something in the trailer. Went out there and tried to open the slides....nothing. Sounds like a solenoid clicking up front my the pump. Tried the landing gear, nothing working there either (other than the same clicking solenoid). Tried the level up system, nothing other than the clicking. I thought...batteries? They are brand new. Any ideas? I can't even get the legs up now to take it anywhere. Thanks in advance. -Glenn

Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check the batteries, I know they are new, but put a meter on them, check the water level, and do a specific gravity test. Running the slides in and out will really pull some amps.
(I spent a year at the Sub base repairing the boats in New London, MR) Thanks for your service.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Also make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
X2 DQDick, that an old auto problem, starter solenoid clicks, but starter motor won't crank. Clean and tighten battery connections and all is good in the world again. It that's not it, double check your plug-in to make sure you're getting power to the converter. Something else, this past winter while in Sunny Florida, I happened to check the idiot lite panel and it showed the batteries way down, couple of check and determine no converter output. Removed panel in basement to check converter and find the AC plug for the converter was almost all the way out of the outlet, plugged back in an all was good again.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Well, put a little water in the batteries (they were just a little down). Voltage at batteries 13.2, the battery connections are both clean and tight. I cannot find any loose connections down in that area at all. I put the charger on the batteries for a couple of hours anyway, that did no good either. Still just a "click" down there in the area of solenoid every time I hit the button inside, on the remote or on the level up panel. Would not mind so much if I could get the legs up to even tow it. I have to take it into the dealer to get the dinette installed Thursday anyway. My idiot light inside shows all lights on for the batteries (full charge), not sure where my converter is to check the AC plug. My breaker/fuse panel is up above the toilet in the bathroom. Is the converter behind there? I don't think I have a panel in the basement. Obviously still under warranty, but not sure if the warranty covers them sending someone here so I can at least get the landing gear up to tow it to their shop. -Glenn
Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Just a thought - have you checked your battery disconnect switch to make sure it's in the connect/on mode?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wish you had a specific gravity checker (Has floating balls in the tube) You can have a full charge, but when putting a load on the battery..slides, it will not have the amps to do the job. Still sounds like the battery to me. I have a 50 amp tester, I put the clamps on the terminals, hit the switch and the tester will show good...green, or bad...red. Like a load in the trailer: electric motor. Outside a loose connection somewhere, I can't think of anything else.
Jumper cables from the truck maybe to test it???
Old 05-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since your slides and LevelUp system are on the same hydraulic system, consider calling Lippert. they have a hot line for those with the LevelUp. They may be able to shed some light on the problem.

If it is not the battery, the computer may be confused. There is a single red wire to the "brain" of the controller. Try unplugging it for 10 seconds. It is your system reset.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
I did check the battery disconnect, it was fine (good thought though, thanks). Maybe I will try the jumper cable thing. I did try the "jump" position on my charger when it was hooked up and that did not make any difference. I don't have a specific gravity checker, but may get one. I am thinking loose connection.... (just have to find it). Everything was working great and then with no changes, nothing is working. This is me scratching my head. Wonder if maybe the solenoid went bad all of a sudden. -Glenn
Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Since your slides and LevelUp system are on the same hydraulic system, consider calling Lippert. they have a hot line for those with the LevelUp. They may be able to shed some light on the problem.

If it is not the battery, the computer may be confused. There is a single red wire to the "brain" of the controller. Try unplugging it for 10 seconds. It is your system reset.
I would call Lippert at 866-524-7821.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One more easy thing to try. When my battery went bad I took my jump start portable from my truck and clipped the jumpers on the connectors and bingo my slides went out and I knew my battery was toast. If you don't have one of those portables a neighbor probably does.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Could be a bad pump motor, new ones fail too.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
One thing that has not been mentioned is the "silver" re-settable breakers between the battery and the hydraulic motor. Your postitive battery lead goes to one side of them.

They are known to fail. If that is the case it could give you that indication too.

There is a way to run your hydraulic pump with a drill for this type of situation. NOTE: NOT SURE ABOUT THE LEVEL UP SYSTEM.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks to all so far for the ideas. First thing I am going to do is call the dealership this morning. I am hoping that since I have only had the trailer for 7 weeks that they will be helpful. This is the first trailer I have purchased from them, but they have a great reputation for taking care of people. The biggest issue is they are about an hour away from where I live. I already have an appointment with them on Thursday to drop the trailer off for work on Friday (dinette installation), just have to figure out how to get it there. I am going to try the jumper cable trick when I get home today if the dealership/service department does not have another idea. Just need to get the level up system working so I can get it hooked up to the truck for now, then let the service folks determine the problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Try that jumper cable from the truck to the trailer battery bank idea.
Glenn the fifth just may need a fifth before this deal is over Good luck with it.
Ozz
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Thanks Oz, and you are correct...

By the way, why don't two fifths make a tenth?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
CALL LIPPERT!
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Just spoke with the service center. Based on the symptons I explained to them one of the techs there believes it is a loose connection up in the forward area by the batteries. I guess when I get home I will search that out once again. I asked what the options were for a tech coming to the house (going out a limb here), they said they would pay for any time a tech put in while at my house, but could not pay the approximately $150.00 to get the tech there. I can understand that. -Glenn
Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #19
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

CALL LIPPERT!
Hello Stiles, I did call Lipert and have to call back later. There was no one avaialble to talk to about it at the time I called.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
After what seemed like endless hold with Lippert, I now have a better "tech assist" number. Going to try that. -Glenn