Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Interesting - To Me A Must Read

Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 7:06 AM

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:

'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated.

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four- ship fly-by of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly-by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured.

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.
USAF

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Right On!!!!!! We in eastern North Carolina live near several Marine and Air Force air stations and no one complains about the sound of freedom, we welcome it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Being a retired AF MSgt, I relish viewing and hearing the fighter jets flying overhead. It means I'm free. It means you're free. It means there is no enemy close by. It means we are able to raise our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in peace.

They can fly over my head at any hour of the day. I won't complain.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr.,

The most awesome sight I have ever witnessed was seeing two F-16s fly over me and just as they got overhead they pulled straight up and all I could see was the fire coming from the tail of the planes. If that sight is not enough to strike fear in the bellies of an enemy I don't know what is. So I say let freedom ring, roar, or what ever noise it needs to make to keep us free.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
A very similar situation arose during my best friends funeral in Virginia Beach some years ago. He was a retired submariner, fire chief and very kind person. After the funeral was over there were several complaints called into Oceana Naval Air Station about the fly over. The callers were all told the reason for the fly over and one even got nasty. VB being the home of NAS Oceana a Master Jet Base which was surrounded by farms when I got there in 1977 receives dozens of noise complaints from the residences now surrounding the base on a daily bases. They seem to have no clue as to why that base is there. The fact that it was there long before many of them were born doesn't seem to ring a bell with them. It is the sound of freedom and as I and many of my fellow sailors are concerned we think they should move to North Carolina if they want quiet, preferably far western NC... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Having raised a family helping design those little gray things under the wings - the sound is more to me than just freedom!

Always a cheer from me during the stadium flyovers! Quite the variety too. F-22s, even the Stealth which practically causes an eclipse! (had no idea the B2s were that big in person).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The person that wrote the complaint did a follow-up apology.

Story With Apology
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
As a Vet himself, he should have known better. One of my favorite responses to people like this is, "If you can read this, thank a teacher, If you're reading this in English, Thank a Vet". These days we have to many who deserve this honor, and far to many who are willing to complain but unwilling to step up.

Fly high young man, your country thanks you for your sacrifice.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
In 1965 - 1966, I lived literally at the end of a runway at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson, Arizona. Our apartment unit began just on the other side of a chain link fence separating us from the base. F4 pilots were training night and day at Davis-Monthan, and the roar during their takeoffs and landings was ear-splitting. I loved seeing the planes swoop right over my head. I never minded the inconvenience or the noise we had while living there because so many of our friends were in Viet Nam then, and we appreciated their service to our country; how could we complain about noise when they had so much more to worry about? My first (starter? practice?) husband, was stationed at Davis-Monthan at the time. He was never sent to Viet Nam, so we were doubly appreciative of the brave pilots who were training, knowing that they were going into battle very, very soon.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Having been stationed at Luke I love the story. When I was there it was nothing but desert around Luke. Isn't it fustrating that people will move in without considering what is in the neighborhood and then complain about it after the fact? People can be real oblivians sometimes.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I am glad he was brave enough and humble enough to write the apology letter. It takes a big man to admit you are wrong,,, and then make it public. Of course, he is a Vietnam Vet,, nothing else need be said.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Having served as an Air Force Medic from ’66 to ’86 I am certainly familiar with the sounds of jet aircraft. I also think of it, not as noise, but, rather, the sound of freedom. Now, having said that, and traveling and staying on military bases I can say I would rather hear those sounds between the hours of 8 am and 5pm. Ah, life would be grand. But reality has different hours and I never complain about those sounds.

Now put yourself in the shoes of a civilian that has lived in a neighborhood for the past 20-30 years that is surrounding an air base. When you moved in the noise levels and the base flying mission was somewhat different. Over the course of time the mission may have changed, aircraft got bigger and noisier; wind directions shifted making a runway change inevitable. Houses built back then did not have double pane windows or quite the insulation that present housing has.

If not for civilian complaints over the years, engineers would not have sought out greater technology and advancements in noise abatement procedures, such as the newer fan jet engines incorporated on newer aircraft. Or the changes in arrival and departure procedures at air bases and airports.

It is inherent in our military today to not only be good keepers of our freedom but good neighbors to the very people we have sworn to defend. Sometimes it just takes some good PR to explain to people mission changes and such. Eglin AFB is a good example of that today. Eglin has been selected as a training base for the new F35 Raptors. This will, of course, represent a change in sound levels around the local communities. It also means an influx of people to the community also, which, I’m sure local merchants will applaud. The base has been in local talks with the local community for sometime to minimize the impact of a new squadron of fighters joining its ranks.

As long as there are people in this world, there will be complaints and complainers. Not a lot we can do about those folks. When I hear someone in a community complaining about the noise levels from the local base, I just smile and say, very kindly, “That is the sound of Freedom”.

This is my opinion and not meant to ruffle any feathers……God Bless America and all its military AND those that support the military….Past, present and future!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
As was said above -- people know that the base is there, the type of equipment used, and yet they move into the 'noise' area anyway and then complain. Here we have Fort Riley, a heavy-mechanized infantry base -- which means tanks and cannons. When they fire you hear the 'BANG' and then a few seconds later you hear and then FEEL the WHOMP of the round exploding. This doesn't even include the clatter of machine guns, and other weapons. Soon after a tank gunnery or Cannon gunnery begins, the phone calls begin. Ft Riley, working with local governments has established zones where certain noises / shock waves will be felt. The realtors tell the buyers of new homes this (it is a required document according to a realtor friend (retired Army Major)) yet they still buy and then they complain because things move on the shelves (or fall off the walls) when gunnery happens. Just this past month there was a big bruhaha (I think that is the correct spelling) because some of the soldier's returning from 15 months in Iraq were being flown in by medium size jets to Manhattan KS's airport. New homes built right on the flight path to the only long runway are now being occupied and complaints were received. It was reported that one of our commissioners actually told one of the complainers "Come ON NOW -- You bought your home in direct line with the only long, jet capable, runway our airport has -- What in the HE%$ DID YOU EXPECT??" Still the complaints continued, so now the soldiers once again land in Topeka and have to endure an hour (or more) bus ride from there to Ft Riley before they can be reunited with their loved ones.

I do feel for the home owners who bought their homes / land back when the artillery and tanks were smaller, the rounds less powerful, but as in all things, improvement must be made or else we become less capable to defend this nation. For them I wish there was a solution, however, for those who buy in the zone now -- sorry -- get some ear plugs and deal with it!! Off my soap box!!

Freedom IS NOT FREE!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 AM   #14
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Being a retired AF MSgt, I relish viewing and hearing the fighter jets flying overhead. It means I'm free. It means you're free. It means there is no enemy close by. It means we are able to raise our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren in peace.

They can fly over my head at any hour of the day. I won't complain.

Orv
I could not have said it any better Orv. when I see them flying at a distance from my house I give them a salute.

Lou
MSgt, USAF Retired - 2003

5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
May the god of your choice protect our country and its people. Our country is truly great when we can forgive and except an apology from someone of obvious great strength after being educated. I pray we guard this freedom forever. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is not a question of patriotism or being a good American. It is a question of noise and I will bet that most of the folks who say it is Ok do not have huge jets flying a couple of hundred feet or less, over their home. I have no sympathy at all for folks who will purchase a house when they know they are in the flight path or on the approach path of a major airport military or otherwise. When I reported for duty at Cleveland Hopkins airport in 1961 we were using piston engine aircraft and the airport was in a low populated area. It is now a major population center and we are using modern jet aircraft. People will purchase homes under the flight path or along major interstates or in developments built next to railroad tracks then complain of the noise. I don't get it??? and they should receive no special treatment.
Now there were folks who had lived near the airport for years and were now impacted by the increase in traffic and the increased noise of jet aircraft. I don't know if it was the city or the Government but they purchased entire neighborhoods in the flight path, paid a fair price then razed the homes. That area is now parking lots or storage areas for rent a car companies.

The aviation industry has taken great strides in Engine development, Noise abatement, structured approach paths , AKA Kamikaze approach, but can do little about the knuckleheads who will buy a home on a airport approach.

Noise around airports is a problem and it can not be dismissed by waving the flag.There are solutions and they should be addressed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote