Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Lowe's Lumber Yards offer 10% discounts to Vets

Lowe's is now offering 10% discounts on all items to active and retired military veterans. You have to ask for it at the cashiers station before they ring up the sales. All you need is your ID card.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
It sure has saved me some money in the past months. Everytime I go to Home Depot I ask them when they are going to start the 10% off discount like Lowe's. There are over 40,000 active duty military in this area and a heck of a lot of retirees like myself. Both Lowes and HD make big bucks from the military especially when they are preparing for deployments to the sand boxes.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was witness to the treatment some of the Vietnam vets got on their return. How times change. We checked ito a C.G near Kansas, City this afternoon. I was wearing my "Florida " cap with the "Veteran", US Army pin on it that the Legion set out to all their members. The lady at the desk gave me a "Veterans/ Military discount. I did not ask for it. More and more functions that we attend will ask the active duty and veterans to stand and be recognized. How times change.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I was in Vietnam. I returned and there was no fan fare, or applauding, or even recognition. I'm not complaining, and I didn't complain then. I'm not bitter. I had a job to do and I did it to the best of my ability. In 1970 I was still on active duty and about to embark on a temporary assignment to Syracuse University research Corp., part of the University of Syracuse. There were three of us Staff NCO's and the CO called us into his office and told us that we were not to take any military clothing, that we were to blend in with the populace because of the unrest on campus towards veterans and active duty military.

Yes, things have changed, thank you world.

Thank you Lowe's
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
ID card?

I was discharged in '61 and I just asked at Lowes about the discount. They said I could bring my DD214 and get the discount.

Thanks for the info!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Lowes, hand salute, ready two.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
I knew I was dealing with a class act. Thanks Lowes! Times have truely changed. Although I never went to Viet Nam, I was in during that time. I remember being required to change to civis before leaving post just to avoid problems. What's really ironic is alot of the people who hated the Military the most back then, are the ones supporting them the most today. I guess attitudes can change.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I just left Lowes and got the 10% even after I forgot to tell the cashier. She told me to take my receipt to the customer desk and they would make the correction. They did. Voiding my original receipt and re-ringing my entire purchase to give me the discount. My hat off to Lowes.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
We purchased a $260 edger a couple of weeks ago. We shopped both Lowe's and Home Depot, but the folks at Lowe's asked "Are you a teacher, policeman or a veteran?". I replied, "I'm a veteran, but I don't have any ID with me". No problem, "You served your country, you get the discount". Naturally, we bought from Lowe's. (I wonder how many draft-dodgers are claiming to be vets if you don't need the ID?)

Thanks, Lowe's.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
VA card works. Used mine today. Home Depot use to give it but stopped in this area two weeks ago. Had to go to pro desk to get it. At Lowes any register works. No more HD. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You know? I am not a vet. However, every one of my brothers and brothers-in-law are. I did not meet the size requirements even after 3 years of high school ROTC.

I went the college route, got a great career going and helped by making sure I paid my taxes - no slouch here. As my veteran brothers have supported me by saying "Nerds shall rule the world". The amount of taxes I've paid exceeds some peoples' incomes, so I am not ashamed I did not "cut the mustard" by being a vet because I found other ways to support you.

That being said I am disappointed in hearing Home Depot "turned off" their discount. There is what is called peripheral damage, that is, even though I am not a vet, I shall boycott HD over Lowe's in support of discount veteran programs anywhere. It's not just veterans that don't like hearing of this crap.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #12
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
For general information.

This topic is being locked because it is moving toward a very definite political process. Since we do not allow political discussions on the MOC it is being locked. The basic information first given by Ken, however, is good info. Thus it will stay visible but you can no longer respond to it.

If anyone has any questions please address them to me.

Thank you,

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:38 PM   #13
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Ken,
Please check your PMs (Private Mail). I sent you a note.

Thanks,

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote