Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
2010 3750 FL Washer Drain Woes..Help?

Well on vacation we just can't seem to stay away from an RV dealer and a few weeks ago we were camping in NY and ended up at the Syracuse Camping World. We have been contemplating buying a washer/dryer combination so we bit the bullet and purchase a Splendide Platinum 7100 which is a vent-less system. So we hooked it up to the water connectors, put the drain hose in the drain pipe, and washed the towels. We're eating dinner and we hear water running and water was coming out of the closet all over the floor. What was happening is the drain pipe was not accepting the volume of water that was draining, so it was coming back up the pipe and spilling out. The hose is supposed to not be any more then 6" in the drain pipe and it wasn't. I called Keystone and they said the design drains the water discharge directly out of camper and bypasses the grey water tanks.

Anyone with a 3750 have a washer dryer combo unit, and have you had any problems with the water draining? Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Make sure that the cover is off of the main drain and you should be OK as I think the washer water still drains through there. We've never had a drain problem but have always only used the washer when we're hooked up to the sewer so the water would have a direct exit.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Some units, our 2955 for one, drained directly into the discharge line bypass all holding tanks, so it could only be used when on a full hook-up site.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
You have to have the cap off your main drain, and be hooked up to a dump. The water does not drain into the grey tank. I would also make a note in your owners manual about the cap as a reminder when winterizing. Don't ask me how I know.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
I should have included more information here. As an option to just putting the washer hose into the drain, and watching it back up, we attached a 4 foot piece of garden hose to the washer and pushed it down the washer drain as far as possible. Then we ran the washer and it drained fine.

The way the drain pipe is designed it goes straight down in the wall, there is some sort of value, and then takes a 45 for about 8 inches, and then there is another 45 elbow that goes straight through the floor. When the water drains past the elbows, with the garden hose extiension, it drains fine. Without it, it doesn't. could there be some sort of vapor lock since the washer drain has not venting? We have tried it with both the main sewer/grey water open and closed, with the same results.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boje

You have to have the cap off your main drain, and be hooked up to a dump. The water does not drain into the grey tank. I would also make a note in your owners manual about the cap as a reminder when winterizing. Don't ask me how I know.
When I was having the back draining problems I was hooked up to sewer.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You might also call Splendide. They were very helpful when we had problems and they may have heard of this before and have an idea.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Snowhawk2,

We have been thinking about the 7100, other than the draining problem, how do you like the washer/dryer combo?
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Snowhawk2,

We have been thinking about the 7100, other than the draining problem, how do you like the washer/dryer combo?
I'm sorry Tom, but it says right in the 7100 owners manual that it will not work in a Montana pulled by a Dodge! LOL Only kidding, as I couldn't help myself. My buddy Jim has the identical truck, color and all and he loves it. Beautiful truck. I have the same truck in a 2011 Ford F350 Dually, white and gold as well.

Anyway, down to business. We like the unit and it does a good job and is very convenient. Keep in mind that we have only put 5 loads through the unit and we are very glad to have it. Being vent less it has to remove all moisture and steam drys so it takes a while. The convenience factor is terrific and it is your dirt, grit and grime, and not that from public machines. We should have bought one sooner.

Having said that, know what you are buying. The loads are small, and it takes a long time to do a load. We had one load take 1:45 minute because of the cycle and load, but it didn't matter because we were around the camper. We had other loads take a much shorter time. The other thing is with the Montana suspension, when that thing is spinning, you will feel some minor vibration from the rotation of the drum.

All in all, a nice modification to our Montana. We are headed out soon for 12 days with 5 people in the fiver, so we will get some use out of it.

Rich

Rich
Old 07-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

You might also call Splendide. They were very helpful when we had problems and they may have heard of this before and have an idea.
I did try them but couldn't get through. good idea and I will try again.

rich
Old 07-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
ON mine, there is a sticker on the wall near the water hook-ups and drain pipe. It says that the outside drain must be open, as the washer does not drain into the holding tank, and goes straight out the drain pipe outside.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Yes, learned the hard way. Did not know it was plumbed directly to sewer drain. Makes sense now, but flooded bathroom.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #13
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Yes, learned the hard way. Did not know it was plumbed directly to sewer drain. Makes sense now, but flooded bathroom.
So you and the other post have me wondering if my problem is simply that the sewer drain was not open, and the pipe filled up? There was a time in the process of flooding and using foul language, that we didn't know it was a direct drain and that it didn't drain into a tank. What doesn't make sense about that theory is why would adding a 4 foot extension on the hose,and pushing it past the elbows, allow the washer to drain properly? Unless the folks involved with the situation had opened the sewer drain at the same time we added the hose? Look like I will have to do a test while at my hose to determine if that is the issue. I did not have the sticker the other person was referring to about the sewer needing to be open. I'll keep you posted when I run the test sometime this week. Thanks for all of you input.

Rich
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #14
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We also just installed a Splendide (vented) with the help of Tom & Sharon McClurry and may we suggest that you purschase the Splendide drain pan. Around $50.00 off the net. CW does not carry them. Why I have no idea. Well worth the $$ for stress free worry of flooding the bedroom. The pan has a drain with a hose that runs down the leg of the your Montana and if water gets to the pan instead of flooding your closet and bedroom it runs out the hose outside of your RV. When you see the water you know you have a problem. Also thanks to Jim Fisher's recomendation we also added a moisture sensor (Lowes $12.00). Jim was at the Lancaster Rally and his moisture sensor went off and they had not opened their drain and the moisture sensor let them know. Priceless.....

All that being said we did move the drain plug to the front of the drain pan instead of the back and threw away the cheap hoses that came with the unit because all they did was leak at the connections. We also added cut off connections per Jim Fisher again to allow us to quickly shut off the water supply to the washer if there was a problem in lien of trying to get past the washer to reach them ($50.00). We spent about $125.00 more on the install but it is worth it for peace of mind. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Good Luck
Bill
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
I do not believe any of the dump valves need to be opened for proper drainage. Just the cap from the dump. Not sure what material the drain hose is from the wall opening to the PVC dump, but it sounds like you may have a kink in that hose, and your garden hose extension is opening it up.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Your problem sounds like a bad vent, go on the roof, find the vent that is in line with the washer discharge, remove the cap, and run your hose down and see if there is a blockage.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #17
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
a couple thoughts here

we got the Splendide and had wthe same overflow onto the floor, after checking it turns out that the washer hookup goes directly into the sewer pipe and not into any tanks,

my solution when not hooked up to a sewer connection is to put a gate valve on the sewer pipe outlet then open the greater valves to let the washier back up into them toll dump time

a factoid about the Splendide is that holding in the start button reboots the washer , we got messed up finding or thinking it had it's own mind

Mikey
thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Been out of commission awhile! The sewer cap is all I have to remove to use washer dryer. It apparently drains directly into the water discharge pipe.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #19
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Well we fixed the issue we were having but quite by accident. We had another leaking situation but this time it was leaking in the wall, not out the top of the drain like posted. so I pulled the plastic plate off to expose the plumbing and low and behold, the check valve and the pipe that the plug screws into, were not attached, and it was dangling. If fact the two pipes were too far apart to reach each other. so we installed a 6 inch pipe extension to the check valve, hooked the washer up without the hose extension, and it worked as designed, with the water properly draining. It was so nice to finally get this working as designed.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 AM   #20
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
We are contemplating buying a W/D unit. Two of our camping friends have cautioned us against buying the ventless model because theirs does not dry the clothes completely. We have a ventless dryer in our condo and it works beautifully, although it is a free standing unit which may make a difference in performance.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote