Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Extended Warranty (Service contract)

We have the 'Rv Shield'service contract.. AKA Extended Warranty.
We developed a black tank leak while in Florida over the winter. Just got a call from our dealer. Rv shield has covered the total cost of the repair without any problem at all. Tank,Plumbing, New Artic package material, removing and replacing the under belly and all labor cost. The cost of this one repair will exceed the total cost of the 7 year Service contract and we have 5 years left.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
So if you still have an Apollo oven, you will definitely end up ahead before the next five years expire???? Good news on the service though, with all of the bad remarks about the extended warranties (aka service plans) it is comforting to know that at least one more person has benefitted from it. Hope we never have to, but if something happens we are covered.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have the 'Rv Shield'service contract.. AKA Extended Warranty.
We developed a black tank leak while in Florida over the winter. Just got a call from our dealer. Rv shield has covered the total cost of the repair without any problem at all. Tank,Plumbing, New Artic package material, removing and replacing the under belly and all labor cost. The cost of this one repair will exceed the total cost of the 7 year Service contract and we have 5 years left.
Rich, your experience has been much like ours. I didn't want to buy the extended warranty but am sure glad I did. Our black tank was replaced in January 2007 and the extended warranty expired in May 2007. We just made it. Our plan more than paid for itself when you consider just the two major items: black tank and refrigerator.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I have the extended warranty, but have used it for only one minor repair. However, I am confident a major item, or items, will break during my seven year warranty period, and I'll recover my cost.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been Rv'ing for many years. Worked for dealers, even sold a few of them. Toured several plants, owned 5 Rv's. Never purchsed a Service contract before but when we purchased this big expensive 3400 and knew we would be using it hard..Based on our experience with these things and having some knowledge about the quality and workmanship that goes into them we thought about what the probabilities were that we would not have a major and expensive failure over a 7 year period and should we purchase a service contract.After about 12 seconds of serious thought we decided to purchase the 7 year RV Shield service contract.. That was 2 years ago..The first year we were covered by the Keystone warranty. That was a good thing..This is the second year and we have a black tank failure that is out of any warranty but covered by the service contract to the tune of over 1K dollars..We paid 1014.00 for the service contract..In our case it was a good gamble.In case one may think that 1K is a lot of money for the tank replacement,,Tank 275.00, shipping 132.00 plus fuel surcharge + plumbing, cost unknown, + artic package stuff, cost unknown and 6 hours labor at 93.00 per hour..add Ohio Tax.Rv'ing is expensive..
Old 05-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yep, all you have to do is have one major claim in 7 years and it covers your cost. The second one is a freeby. If you never have a claim, that's great, you had peace of mind about getting whacked with a big one.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds great, Rich. I have the same company. Good to know they stand behind their product.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just a update since many of us have these Service contracts but few get a chance to use them. We have the Rv shield service contract AKA extended warranty.. We had a crack in our black tank which the service contract covered 100% less the 50.00 deductable..no problems at all. Covered was the tank, shipping, new Arctic package stuff, plumbing and installation. The company allowed 6 hours labor.. 4 for the tank and 2 for the underbelly. Keystone allowed 5 hours.. Should be installed next week.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Gang,
This question is for anyone. We are going to take delivery of our first Montana the week after Memorial Day. It will be a model 3605RL with 10th Anniversary package. Knowing that this rig is somewhat more expensive than we might ordinarily have purchased for full timing, we are considering continuing with our Good Sam Club CSP. We have a 2003 Mirage and have had it for two years without need to make a claim.
Any website to compare the RV Shield with the GSC CSP would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..I could never find one that did that.. We got a copy of both contracts and compaired them. Both plans are similar. I do not recall if the GSC contract was inclusionary or exclusionary. We opted for the RV shield because we thought the finanicial backing was firmer.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Rich and Helen,
Is this the place that you purchased the RV insurance from?
http://www.americanrvwarranties.com/
Just wondered how much it was a month.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No it was not but the folks that sell them are just agencies like the agency you purchased your car/truck/camper insurance from. I can't remember right now which agency we purchased from. The purchased two year ago and paid 1014.00 for a 7 year contract. there was a couple of discounts in there... I would call around and get a quote...The most likely went up in two years..

The contract they describe is

Exclusionary..that is good
Paid with a corporate credit card....that is good
Escapees is a corporate sponser..that is good and means a discount

It is worth further investigation.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #13
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Rich
My liability insurance is through the Foremost company. I'll inquire there to see what they have to offer.
Thanks