Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
iTravel

M.O.C. #13078
Send a message via Yahoo to iTravel
Battery Operation in 3400RL

Does anyone know if we should disconnect the battery disconnect when plugged in to shore power? The lights in the RV keep changing Dim to Bright. I have replaced the battery already. The model of the power converter is the Intellipower 9200, I believe?

Thanks in Advance

iTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had an '06 3400 and was full time for over 4 years and never used the battery disconnect while plugged in. It should be left on so it can recharge thru your converter. If your lights keep dimming you may have a problem with your (converter/inverter?). Not sure which one keeps the battery charged. Someone will clarify.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Never used the disconnect unless we weren't plugged in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
We never disconnect, the lights dimming is normal it is just your inverter kicking in to charge the battery i do believe?ours does it when we are reading in bed all the time
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Unless you have an inverter installed that is converting solar power to AC, then your converter is charging the batteries--or is supposed to if it's working properly. In my setup, my batteries are charged through the inverter charging circuits. I have my converter disconnected so that there is no interference between charging circuits. All my DC power is derived via the solar panels and the inverter charging circuits.
Before we installed the inverter, our batteries were charged by the converter. Don't disconnect the battery when plugged in to shore power. The converter should provide a trickle charge to keep the batteries charged.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The only time I would use the battery disconnect is when I was storing the unit for a short period of time, there will always be some drain on the batteries as certain things are not disconnected when that switch is off. For long periods of storage take the batteries out and put them on a battery maintainer of some sort.

We have the Progessive Dynamics PD4590 (90 amp) in our 2012 Monty which is the distribution panel and converter built in one unit. I have never noticed the lights dimming or getting brighter when connected to shore power. We do not use the battery disconnect when connected to shore power.

You did not say how old your unit was, but I think this converter has been used in the newer units only. If this dim to bright does not happen when you are using only the batteries then it is most definitely the converter. There are test procedures to check the converter for proper operation, not a difficult job.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by iTravel

Does anyone know if we should disconnect the battery disconnect when plugged in to shore power? The lights in the RV keep changing Dim to Bright. I have replaced the battery already. The model of the power converter is the Intellipower 9200, I believe?

Thanks in Advance
You don't state what year and model unit you have. Many time this will help us. You did state the make and model of the converter and that was most important.
I found this info on your Intellipower 9200.
This link says it has a charge wizard which I feel is a good thing. If you look at the explanation of the Charge Wizard it should explain why the lights are getting brighter. My assumption is they are going to bright when the Charge Wizard is sending more voltage down to the battery for charging or maintenance cycle.

You have not mentioned how often the lights go from dim to bright. I do not think it should be more that one every few days.

I suggest you call the company and voice your question/concern to them.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My bet is a loose, or corroded connection, dry battery water, bad battery or... something amiss.. it shouldn't do the dimming if all connections are tight and the electrical system is OK.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Samed as Phil above on our 06 3400 only it was 6 years and never disconnected.You may have anothere problem.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My lights never dim UNLESS I have my lights on with a dimmer switch, some light-bulb filaments and certain types of light bulbs are that sensitive, but none of the rest of my lights dim when charging, other than the dimmed lights. The rheostat used for dimming always does that. At my sticks and bricks home, when the A/C kicks on, it dims slightly, but only on my dimmed lights. Nature of the beast, so to speak..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
What type of bulbs do you have and how many do you have on? If they're halogens and there are very many on you have quite a draw on the Battery/Converter, thus the converter could be cycling from trickle to boost which would change the voltage output thus causing the lights to get brighter during the boost stage and slightly dimmer when back to trickle or maintenance. Our SOB came with 20 watt halogens (approx 1.5 amps per bulb). When turning on both switches for the kitchen/living room area the converter fan would kick on because of the hight draw. Now with all lites LED we can turn on every lite and doesn't even phase the converter.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Mine would do the same thing. I added a digital meter to monitor the voltage. When my Battery volts would drop down to about 11.5 the charging ckt would kick in and bring it back up to around 14.2 and stop. It would start all over again, slowly diming. I added a trickle charger and clipped it directly to the battery terminals. Now every thing stays at around 12.5 and no more wife complaint 2012 295RK. Picked up the trickle charger on e-bay, about $15. I do disconnect in storage
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote