Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I'm thinking the tank doesn't have to be cracked to leak if overfilled. It's my understanding the inlet from the toilet and vent use grommets to seal....that is not a positive seal. I would think the constant movement going down our worn out highways would cause those grommets to loosen. You fill the tank up to the top, and it leaks around the grommets. All three of ours will leak if over filled.
Some time ago I posted a question about the tank gauges and how much more they would hold once the gauge shows full...well, what you are saying (leak if overfilled) is exactly what I was concerned about. Thanks for that bit of information...useful.
I don't think you can depend on the OEM level gauges to determine level in the tanks. Any solids in the water screw them up big time. The only one we have that is sort of correct is the fresh water. I have read there are some on the market that actually work correctly.

We are stationary most of the year, leave the galley and gray tanks open, and try to dump the black tank just as soon as the toilet burps.

And I'm not saying the tanks don't crack easily; they are very flimsy from the little I've fooled with ours....wonder if anyone manufactures a heavy duty tank? Heck, I wouldn't be against re-plumbing the tanks to get heavy duty tanks if and when they are replaced.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We took a little tour of the plant that makes the gray and black tanks, They are both ABS plastic. The fresh water tank is as Will describes. We keep our gally tank valve closed and empty it when the water backs up into the kitchen sink. It has never leaked. Our gray tank never leaked till about 8 months ago. We also will keep that valve closed before we plan to dump the black tank to aid in flushing. the water has backed up into the tub many times so that tank never leaked. The split in the gray tank was on the side about in the middle and the suspected cause was a week spot when manufactured. They test the holding tanks at the factory by submersing each tank in a vat of water and look for bubbles.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
When I took mine out to repair them they have what I was told is a spin weld fitting in them. they are sealed and I have filled mine to the top many times and they won't leak unless they are cracked. That is why I installed no hub rubber clamps on the connections it takes some stress off the top of the tank.JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #24
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Boy I guess I am glad I live in Mesa! Our local dealer estimated 4 hours to change out the galley tank and the tank would be $125 or 140 - can't remember. I think they only charged for 4 hours too. And it included figuring out which tank was leaking.
If anyone wants to come to Mesa for a repair - it is RV Traders on Main St. They have always treated me well and are not too expensive - tho I think they charge $100 per hr.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

Boy I guess I am glad I live in Mesa! Our local dealer estimated 4 hours to change out the galley tank and the tank would be $125 or 140 - can't remember. I think they only charged for 4 hours too. And it included figuring out which tank was leaking.
If anyone wants to come to Mesa for a repair - it is RV Traders on Main St. They have always treated me well and are not too expensive - tho I think they charge $100 per hr.
the price of the tank from the factory in September was 165.00 ???The shipping cost to your location could double that price.

The Extended warranty company authorized 5 hours to replace one tank, 8 hours for two tanks plumbing and arctic stuff included

Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #26
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As I said - glad I live in Mesa. The tank cost $116 with various supplies a total of $154. I do think this was not a keystone tank however. They said it was slightly thinner or thicker (?) than the other one and had to insert something to keep it from bouncing around. Also said if you travel with these tanks very full and go over bumpy roads, they can crack from bouncing. This tank sat over the axles or frame and could bounce down and hit it. It was cracked right over whatever was there. Oh, and the labor charges were $400 even.
And my guess is it cracked going over the Destruction Bay hiway in the Yukon this summer - what a road!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You were lucky.. The shipping of the OEM tank from Goshen can cost as much or more than the tank. The cost of my first black tank shipped to my dealer in Ohio was 245.00 and that was nearly 3 years ago.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #28
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Had to miss my first appointment with RV guys to inspect our system. They will be out this coming Thursday to check it out. Meanwhile all I can do is empty the tank every three days, needed or not, and flush like hell to keep down the smell. Overpowering at times......Glad when this is over....Afraid to have anyone visit also. Hey come to my place, but bring a gas mask, really sounds great, eh???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #29
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Had to miss my first appointment with RV guys to inspect our system. They will be out this coming Thursday to check it out. Meanwhile all I can do is empty the tank every three days, needed or not, and flush like hell to keep down the smell. Overpowering at times......Glad when this is over....Afraid to have anyone visit also. Hey come to my place, but bring a gas mask, really sounds great, eh???
Unfortunately, it doesn't take much of that stuff to go a long ways when it comes to smelling. They had ran a screw into the top of our black tank, and the way it smelled, you'd have thought the whole top of the tank was missing. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, RV Tech out today and said the tank is cracked. They will order a new one along with the insulation for the bottom and use rubber flex fittings on the repair. Will wait until all parts come in before we move the RV out of the park to the repair center. One day job according to tech that "has done many of these before, especially Montanas"!!!!,, He took my extended warranty info and will call for preauth. I will check on the preauth BEFORE I move the RV to their shop. Will keep everyone posted......
Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil..... make sure you do that and ask specifically if that pre authorization means the repair facility can go ahead with the repair when they receive the parts..
Old 12-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Will do Rich, Thanks!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #33
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Phil, sorry to hear the fix will not happen until after the holidays, but at least progress is being made...good luck with having all of the moving part successfully come together. Regarding the preauthorization, I have read about many people getting stuck with the repair bill because the preauthorization did not happen the way is was supposed to...Rich's advice is surely sound. Again, good luck and happy holidays. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil.. the reason I said that is that the warrany company may give pre authorization BUT require that a adjuster inspect the damage and approve the repair facilities estimate. IF the repair facility does the repair BEFORE the adjuster gets there payment will be refused. Sometimes that gets lost in communication between you and the repair facility. That nearly happened to us...

Just making sure you cover all the basses.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:51 PM   #35
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, That's good to know. When I hear from the repair facility that they have the preauth, I will call the warranty company and make sure all bases are covered. I will not move the trailer until I am satisfied that all is correct.

Thanks to all for the advice.....

Hopefully you have saved me some money......

Phil
Old 12-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #36
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think Rich is right on the money on this issue. Deal with them like you're gonna have to go to court. Get names, times, and other significant info. I failed to do so. I talked to two different people, and the info was different.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #37
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, Tomorrow is the day. Have preauth # from warranty company, have an 8:00 am appointment at Norris RV in Casa Grande, AZ. The only holdup may be getting out of the park, which requires a ranger before moving. Hopefully there will be an available ranger at 7:30 in the am. We shall see!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #38
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Good luck at Norris.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #39
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Phil, looking forward to hearing about a successful operation...Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM   #40
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Done Deal, Happy Camper again. Dropped rig off at 8:00 am, talked briefly with tech, left for the day and was told to pick it up at 4:30, they called at 4:00 pm and said come get it. $1030. of which I paid my $200 ded. My Plan paid the rest. They asked that I try not to use it overnight as they would like all the glue to harden. Fortunately we are parked near the restrooms (I know TMI), so that should not be much of a problem. We are happy with the service, only time will tell if this tank will last, they did order it from Keystone........(UMMMMM???) BTW, Tank was cracked on the top!!!!