Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2008, 05:19 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

From Rich's post, assuming some credibility from the article author, it would seem gel-coat would be an incorrect term for the Montana siding and is more appropriate for the hull of a boat.

Given the 5 different grades of Filon, it would seem High Gloss Filon is the more appropriate term. My original brochure calls out a High-Gloss Fiberglass option. No mention of gel-coat. I think the product is the same, but use of a mold is probably non-existent or limited to a single sheet surface where the gel is applied followed by the remaining laminate sheets.

Thanks Rich.
Brad, you are correct on this. We've been a bit lazy in just referring to the high-gloss as gelcoat. The end caps are gelcoat, same as a boat. The side panels are high-gloss, not gelcoat. The high gloss has been referred to as gelcoat for so long in this forum that it's easy to just go along with it.

Good observation.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gitrdun

I love the gel coat. But my front cap must not be gel coated, because it is dulling. I have tried several waxes but they do not bring out the shine. You can still see swirls of dull color.
It's gelcoat but the finish has been damaged. Sun exposure without wax might cause that. But yours sounds like what we had on our 2003. Loss of shine and visible swirls. Mine happened when I used some bug remover chemical that apparently was too strong for the gelcoat finish. Took the shine right off. Wax didn't help very much. It would have to have been buffed out or some refinishing agent applied.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:53 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Brad, you are correct on this. We've been a bit lazy in just referring to the high-gloss as gelcoat. The end caps are gelcoat, same as a boat. The side panels are high-gloss, not gelcoat. The high gloss has been referred to as gelcoat for so long in this forum that it's easy to just go along with it." See what I mean about getting all tangled up???That link I posted clears it up IF we can only remember to call things by the proper name.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #24
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Rich, you're right about what we call things in discussions.

I looked at the 2008 Montana brochure that I have and they refer to the Exterior Option as Hi-gloss gel-coated fiberglass exterior which I guess covers it all. As a novice RV purchaser I incorrectly assumed it was all Hi-gloss gel coated. So what do I know!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #25
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I love this forum. Knowledge is gained everywhere. Now that we have the proper names for the cap and sides of our Monty's, can you oldtimers share with us new owners, what you use to maintain that new unit shine and look to your Monty's. Name brands and not a generic sealer or wax would be nice. I am planning on putting something on mine here very soon and any input would be greatly appreciated.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #26
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Not to bring this up again, we did decide to do the Permaplate product (http://www.permaplate.com/). I have more experience with the interior protection than I do with the exterior however, I can tell you that the decals on our delivery vehicle (installed after the permaplate) are faded. When we removed the decals, the paint is exactly the same (no fading). The decals were large almost the full door panels. The vehicle was 3+ years, parked outside in intense sun.
BTW, we are taking delivery this Friday of our 3400. I am anxious to compare the Permaplated RV vs the non....Also, the dealer is setting us up at a KOA about a mile away for the weekend shake down. They have service and sales staff available for us if necessary....nice touch!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welll.. We do not have the High Gloss.. We do do not and never will wax this huge camper by hand.We do use the Carnuba or turtle wax liquid car wash on both the 3400 and the truck and the cars. That is all we have ever used on anything. The camper looks good.Folks think we wax it and will not believe that we don't. You can of course do whatever you wish but it will not hurt to try the easy way first.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #28
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ditto on the front cap damage with tar and bug remover (our 2003) I didn't even know I did it until it sat in the sun for a month and I could see exactly where the chemical did it's damage.

If only I would have known about Bounce back then!

I did have the rear clip touched up at body shop here when I got some Keystone warranty repairs done - and it turned out terrific with gel coat repair. I was shocked.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #29
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Get the gel coat and find another dealer. I think he was trying to sell you something he had on the lot, as opposed to what you really wanted. We got the gel coat, and it looks good even when it's dirty! Easy to care for, too. You won't regret it.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On our 2003 3295RK I had it waxed by a third party just once. I couldn't really see much improvement for my money. It looked good before the wax job and looked good afterwards. That's the only time it was hand waxed in over four years.

All I use is the Blue Coral wash/wax that you mix with water in a bucket then dip in your brush and wash the rig. You're "supposed" to dry the rig afterwards but I never bother. When we traded the 2003 3295RK after four years, including 3 1/2 of fulltiming, the dealer commented how good it looks for its age. Naturally he said that AFTER we'd signed the paperwork.

I am using the Blue Coral. I used to use Zip Wax. It worked just as well. Rich uses some other brand. They all should do the job.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM   #31
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We have the hi gloss gelcoat on our 2007 3400rl, no yellowing and a piece of cake to wash and wax.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I use any of those car wash wax brands that can get my hands on. They all do a good job and folks who don't know can not tell the difference. I do not dry it either ...way to big to dry off. I have blue Coral right now and as soon as it warms up, it has only been in the very low 70's, I will do the truck and camper.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
More on Filon from the foplks who make it http://www.cranecomposites.com/RV/index.asp

Also The folks who make the panels in Goshen

www.noblecomposites.com

2424 E Kercher Rd
Goshen, IN 46526
(574) 534-0010
Old 02-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #34
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rich, Thank you, good information you searched out. I saved it for referance since i soon will need to do polishing after picking up a 2008 present.

I wonder if any of the fine people at those companys would mind giving a show and tell at the Fall Rally. MIght be some interesting information.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It would not hurt to ask... There are so many things we think we know about but know little or nothing..
Old 04-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #36
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Simple & cost effective way for high gloss doors is to save all cutouts from high gloss material & use for doors. mfg would save money & have a nicer product.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #37
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
The big deal of The High gloss is the $1200 it costs extra on the 2955. I had it ordered and changed my mind for the money I can fill my TV tank one time. LOL

Doug

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #38
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
Speaking from personal experience high gloss gel coat can and will yellow over time time unless you stay on top of it. Once it yellows you're looking at many stages of buffing to get it back to it's original look.

My advice is unless you are willing and able to wax your rig a minimum of twice a tear with quality paste wax, DO NOT buy the high gloss gel coat option.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #39
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I suspect the yellowing you experienced Tincup was actually from your twice a year wax. I've had gelcoat several years and the only thing that yellows is the filon cabinet doors and the vent for the stove.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #40
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry Tincup, I am compelled to disagree. While in China for two years, my 2003 GelCoat covered Big Sky was left in outdoor storage, i.e., exposed to sun light and the surface did not yellow at all. That is no care, no wax for two years.

When I got back, it washed up beautifully. I couldn't believe how great it looked. When I traded it a year later, it still looked great. The resale of my used unit was within the first week the dealer had it.

My concern is that 0n the 2008, Keystone did not put GelCoat on the lower panel and I am concerned that that part may turn yellow.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote