Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
apollo oven died

Just had out apollo oven go belly up. called apollo and was told to take to an independent service place of my choosing, and have them figure out what is wrong, then call them to order the parts, as this unit is a piece of junk, i am going to head to my local sears and buy a kenmore micro/convection oven and be done with apollo. found one that is the same size as what is there. the apollo that is in my unit has a build date of 3/2004. will keep everyone posted as to the new unit i get and how it does.

pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Pep - I'm in the same dilemma. My Apollo is now serving as a boat anchor at Lake McConaughy.

I'm also trying to decide on the Kenmore Elite (smaller 1.0cf size) as it fits perfectly in the hole and existing trim, and I like the control features. However, the required clearance of 4" on the side is not attainable given the space. Apollo overcame this with a forced air vent. I haven't figure a good way to reproduce that ventilation system. Several have installed this unit successfully using natural or supplemental venting. I'm just a little nervous about creating a fire hazard, as they produce significant heat out the left side and top vent in the convection cycle.

My alternative is a Amana Radarange 1.4cf microwave, which also is a simple install and also from Sears. We would loose the convection, but for our use I'm not sure we need it.

Let me know your thoughts on the venting - I'm open to other opinions and eager to learn before I decide.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
Here is the sears link to the unit i found. looks like it will do the trick... http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...APPL&ihtoken=1
As the apollo is also a countertop with a fan added on, i dont see why this wont work with a little work.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yep - that's the one I'm considering. I played with it for quite a while at Sears (short of making my own cake)! The controls are extremely easy to use, especially if I can do it. It has a preheat cycle for the convection. It tells you when its ready then you just put your stuff in and time bake it, just like a regular oven. It also has all of the other automatic functions like the Apollo.

While playing with it, I preheated to 450 degrees, then started the bake cycle. There is significant heat out the left side vent and top left. The manual was inside the oven and has some clearance restrictions for the sides, top, bottom and rear. I think it will be fine, but I would feel better about mechanical ventilation like the Apollo.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Would you be able to put some sort of thermal barrier between the wall and the oven? I totally agree with you about being concerned with causing a fire hazard, because when these trailers catch on fire they go quickly. Good luck with you decision, and keep us informed on what you do...please provide pictures of the install.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Let me say this ..Our Apollo Oven build date Feb 06 had a long list of failures, as a matter of fact it did not work longer than it worked. Apollo finally sent us a new oven, build date Aug 06 and it has worked perfectly since the replacement in Jan of 07. We are long timers and we use the Apollo all the time. Helen thinks it is the best invention since the wheel.If your oven has a build date prior to Aug 06 you might want to give them another chance..It won't cost you anything////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:25 AM   #7
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
My oven has a build date of march 2004. when i talked to apollo about my problems they were not concerned about build dates and such, only that i needed to take it to an independent repair facility, let them see what is wrong, then either myself or the repair facility call apollo and order the parts on my dime. not a very good deal as far as i am concerned, as it would most likely cost more than a new unit, plus i will be out of using it for an undetermined amount of time. as i am using the monty on a fulltime basis, the boss will not like being without for a lengthy period.thanks for all the input
Old 06-12-2007, 06:01 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would also not spend my own $ for repair. When the tech replaced the parts in our first Apollo oven (expense on Apollo) he said the repair was more than the oven was worth.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
our apollo just started to mess up. it will run for 10 to 15 sec. and then quit. will start right back up then quit again. don't know the build date but the montana was built june of 05.
haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #10
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can go about a cooling fan for the new microwave. i have thought about tieing into the oven fan switch with a fan, would have to flip a switch in order to use convection, but that will not be every use. as the apollo has a fan built onto it, will have to add my own. any ideas that anyone has would be great.
thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Pep,

I would think you could use the Apollo fan and duct on your new Elite (draw air from the top vent). The problem is switching it on and off like you say.

I bench tested both the Apollo and small Elite at 450 degrees. The Elite was too hot to touch on top. The Apollo with the fan running barely got warm - so the fan is very effective. However, because of the fan, the Apollo took twice as long to preheat to 450.

I'm perplexed, and still waiting to see what you do
Old 06-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #12
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Boy all this talk about the Apollo makes me glad I don't have one. I think I will just stick with the ol gas oven and microwave.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I can remember many happy days with an oven and a microwave! hahaha -
Got a beautiful black Amana large capacity microwave with ducted trim kit sitting here just waiting to go in if I surrender on the convection idea, which may be soon .

If I was a fulltimer, most likely would miss the convection. As a part timer, I don't think I will.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:42 AM   #14
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I finally got a new Apollo from Lynn at Apollo, but I had to jump through several hoops to get it. If they won't replace your unit or pay for all the repairs (out of warranty, etc.) I certainly wouldn't pay to repair the unit. The cost would go a long way toward the purchase of another unit.

These 1/2 time convection units have generated a lot of comments on this site, so do a search and you can read everyone's tale of woe.

Good luck!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote