Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #1
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
Tire brand

Time to replace the tires on my '02 3670RL. While I'd like to go with the G rated Goodyear tires that hold 110 lbs, my 6 lug wheels prohibit their use. Would using this tire anyway and only inflating it to 80# gain me anything?

I have used Michelins on my cars for years, and put six of them on my TV last year, and they are doing great. Has anyone had experience, either good or bad with the LT235/85 R 16 tires on their trailer?

I also heard that BF Goodrich made a F rated tire, but I haven't been able to find out anything about them.

neighborman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:45 PM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Hello Neighborman, if you'll go to the search page and look under Tire Separation you will find a fairly long thread on this subject. Also, look under the topic Tire Pressures and there will be another long thread with even more information. I'm not trying to dodge the question, just trying to save time. Each one discusses several pros and cons, my personal preference is a good LT load range E. This is from alot of years of my own experience, in several applications. If you can't find what your looking for, feel free to ask more questions.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
Thanks, LonnieB. I think I checked out those two threads earlier, but will give them another look.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #4
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
I second with Lonnie...a good 10 ply load range E tire is really perfect. You wouldn't be doing yourself any favors by underinflating the tire. You could take the chance of tire separation and/or blowout. Also, in my opinion, you would get much quicker tire wear. The load range E tires have never failed us and we use them on our truck as well.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Neighborman, I also like Michelin tires, as far as I'm concerned they are tops in comfort and mileage. If I were going to put them on a trailer I would go with the LTX M/S or the XPS All Steel Rib. The XPS costs considerably more than the LTX, around $40.00 per tire more, but the sidewalls are alot stiffer due to the all steel belted construction. As far as the Goodyear load range G goes, they do make it, and I have sold one of them, it was a special order deal for a guy that wanted to match what he had on his trailer, and I can't remember what it cost off the top of my head, but it was higher than the Michelin XPS.

On Edit- Oops, you said BF Goodrich, I can't answer that on right now, I'll check when I go in tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like Lonnie, I also have many years of experience in the tire industry and I have to agree with all of the previous posts.
As far as brand, I feel any of the major brands are good tires so long as you are comparing apples to apples. Every brand, including the little guys, have various quality levels of tires. It can be very misleading when a person starts comparing one brand to another. You must compare brand A's best with brand B's, C's,, D's and etc best and not the top of the line against a mid-line or the bottom. The tire business is no different than the RV business. You have your entry level RV, your mid-level and the top of the line with others levels intermixed.
The reason I say "MAJOR" brand is very simple. It comes down to availability. As RVers tend to spend a lot of time on the road than we need a tire brand that's readily available on the road. If you are running one of the lesser known brands and are in need of adjustment that lessor known brand dealer may be hard to find.
For me I would be looking at, and in no particular order, BF Goodrich, Bridgestone/Firestone, General, Goodyear, Michelin or Uniroyal. Again when you compare these manufacturers against each other DO NOT forget the various quality levels.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:17 AM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Well said Glenn, I agree 100%. How do feel about TOYO?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #8
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
LonnieB, I got a price of $221 for the G614 G rated goodyear, and am waiting for a price on the XPS All Steel Rib E rated Michelin tire. If the price is fairly close on the two tires, would you go with the Michelin E rated, or just put 80#s in the G rated Goodyear? Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
I sell the Mich. XPS Rib for $228.82 mounted and balanced. Given a choice between the two, I would go with the Michelin.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
Thanks, Lonnie; I think I'll go with the Michelins. I've never had a bad one
Old 09-18-2006, 04:45 AM   #11
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have had good luck on truck and trailer with the UNIROYAL LARADO Load range E
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Ken, we put the Laredos on one of our equipment trailers a few months ago and so far haven't had any problems. They seem to be pretty good tires.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Lonnie, TOYO is a darn good tire and I wouldn't hesitate putting them on my truck or trailer. There are many many good tires made in Japan, Korea, Germany and even China BUT again although they are a good tires their availability may leave something to be desired.
To be honest, when I was in the business our best sellers were the private labels. Back than if someone told me I would be recommending the major brands over the private labels I would have told them they were nutz.

It all comes down to a huge "What If". What if I have a defective tire and cannot find that private label to get an adjustment?
Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 AM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Glenn, I know what you mean about availability, no matter how good the tire is, if you have a warranty issue 1000 miles from the nearest dealer, you are just out of luck. I know in the Northwest, Les Schwabb carries TOYO, and in the Southwest, A to Z Tire does, but I don't know what they have in the rest of the country.

On Edit - I do sell alot of TOYO tires and have only had to warranty 1 in the last year. The Open Country AT is an excellent light truck tire. I like the TOYO M54 All Position 10 ply for trailers, but not many dealers carry them in stock, including me.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Neighborman -
I've got the G rated tires running at 80psi. Not that I'm happy with the situation, but I gots what I gots. Too early to tell about tire wear, although I am comfortable with the pressure/load ratio after talking to the manufacturer at length. I had to upgrade the 6-lug wheels to handle even 80psi thanks to some feedback on this forum - no chance for the full 100psi on a 6-lug wheel.

Not worth the hassle, as my trailer originally specified D rated tires. Over tired, under wheeled, and overkill.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #16
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Glen, What you stated is correct I had Generals on the Monty had problems with tread separation in Florida no General dealer in town. I replace all 4 with the Larado's.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have been 100% happy with my Toyo tires on my truck. I actually used to run Toyo's on all of my sports cars during the summer and winter. I have Toyo Open Country A/T on my truck right now. Have a tad over 27,000 miles on these. When the time comes again I will be replacing these tires with another set of Toyo's.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Me too Montana Sky, I think they are the best in their price range, and better than some in the higher range. The DW still has, and will continue to have Michelins on her truck, but only because she keeps hearing me harp about how good they are, and if I put ANYTHING else on it, she would think I was being a tightwad. LOL,I guess I've got her sold too good.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Me too Montana Sky, I think they are the best in their price range, and better than some in the higher range. The DW still has, and will continue to have Michelins on her truck, but only because she keeps hearing me harp about how good they are, and if I put ANYTHING else on it, she would think I was being a tightwad. LOL,I guess I've got her sold too good.
Yeah, but than again you probably get them at distributer price. Guess when I need new rags I just might have to take a trip to New Mexico.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Come on down anytime Glenn, LOL, I'll hook you up, as long as you continue to share in your wealth of knowledge. .

As long as we're on the subject, I'll take this opportunity to say, ANY MOC MEMBER that comes through my door gets an automatic discount. I'm not here to " break even ", but I will promise you the best I can do.