Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2008, 06:52 AM   #21
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
It amazes me that the shelf under fride problem still exists, we had it on our 06 serial 0057 is still occouring on 08 sand the water leaks under steps is still around Does not Keystone not send out service bulletin?? and why not sure would save money and unhappy customers. We have an 04 Dodge, QC and 8' box I wonder how many who are having problems have simular setups???
bob

blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #22
diamondg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5903
Send a message via ICQ to diamondg Send a message via AIM to diamondg
We had the problems from the first outing on our 08 model 3000RK, and they continued. I did write the factory, and all they would say was that the unit was under warantee and the warantee work would be done by the dealer we purchased it from. That was scary because the dealer we purchased it from kept messing things up as they worked on it. Anyway, we have a 97 Ford F250 HD supercab, which is different than the Dodges you folks have. It looked to me like they were slam dunking them through the assembly line, and not taking the time to do the job right the first time on the leaks. On the drawer, it's just poor design. They could have put on a latch similar to the one on the TV or something since this is an ongoing problem, and an issue because you can't see if it's out until you start to open the slide, and hear the crunch. By the time you hear the crunch, it's too late. I'm not getting any younger, and I can't climb over the counter and check before I start to move the slide, and I doubt anyone would want to do this every time. You'd think they'd listen to some of these common sense ideas.
diamondg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #23
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
We have had a couple of problems with our 2008 3000RK.. the drawer under the fridge comes open and the drawer under the sofa also..
I did find that the shower drain was leaking last night.. I did tighten it up a little. Not sure if the solved the problem.
As far as the sofa drawer goes..I purchased a 4 inch hook from Ace Hardware.. cut off the bottom of it so I had a U type clamp.. installed a small piece of water line foam on it.. It fits down between the center of the cushions, in back of the metal part and over the front of the drawer.. Will find out if it works tomorrow on the way back home to Cleveland, TN. tomorrow..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #24
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
My fault, I should have clarified the second question!! Some are having problems with the 3000rk and some are not and I was wondering if this is because of the length of the tow vehicle? I believe mine is a 144"wb and sure did with ours.
bob
Old 11-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #25
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Hey "diamondg" welcome to the wonderful world of rear kitchen units. I think it is the nature of the beast, parked they are great but on the road not so great. You will find some great ideas on this forum about to make the unit a little more do-able for your travels. Good luck, Jon.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #26
diamondg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5903
Thanks Jon, I'm sure we will find lots of good ideas. This is our second rear kitchen unit, but the first with the refrigerator on the back wall. We're used to the cabinets contents shifting. I think what got us really re-thinking our decision was the three water leaks in a row with a different line each time, and the same problem causing it. Someone didn't take the time to tighten up the lines during installation. Then the dealer opened the slide, and crunched the drawer under the refrigerator when we brought the unit in for a screen that was torn when we received the unit. We think the Mor-Ryde hitch pin is helping some, and probably shocks would help some more, so we're definately watching this forum and learning. Love the unit otherwise, and once problems are no longer problems, it's a pleasure to pull and to use.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #27
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Sorry about your problems, we did install child latchs on the drawer under the refri. and bungee the two rear cabnits together. And yes somethings do get rearranged on long trips over rough roads. That being said the DW still loves her rear kitchen. Those ladies that like to cook love the space.
I did install and 5th airborne whick did improve the ride and may have helpped the kitchen problem.
After for those problems we have not had any problems, but I did go through and check all the drains and water lines for tightness. Oh, yes we did have to replace the Missions.
My mother in-law just bought a high end SOB and we found leaks in every drain and had to get the back flow valve after the second trip.
Unfortunatly every manufacture has those workers and those problems.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 AM   #28
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I just came down I -5 through Seattle to Portland and was watching the 08 3000RK closely when going over bumps. I could see the rear of the RV making a big "whump" as I went over the bumps. It was almost like you were shaking out a rug as the rear end made the moves. Someone said they installed shocks and I am interested in that. How did they install, cost and effect.
I tow with a F-250 Crew Cab short bed, super duty, camper special with Timbrens. It was not the TV that caused the movement, it was the rv as it went over the "speed bumps" at 55 mph on I-5.
Yes our shower drain was loose and improperly caulked also. The rear window over the sink was in a bind and very hard to open. After much hassle it has been replaced under warranty.
The sewer door would not stay latched. It has been replaced with a new style that actually click into the closed position and works very well, again under warranty.

Yes our unit was man made but we still love it.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #29
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
yes I did make the decision to install shocks on my Montana 3000rk and it did eliminate the problems of bounce and side sway, cost was around 500 parts and labor. I got the from Moryde and Dexter. I had local fab shop do the work and took about 5 hours. I am now in Yuma and contact me for more info
bob
Old 11-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #30
diamondg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5903
Great information. Thanks for all your input. I think we need to have more input like this from everyone. Thanks again.