Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Nitrogen?

My neighbor, who works at a local tire store, came home tonight and asked me if I ever thought about running nitrogen in the tires of my Monty and TV. I have never really heard or read anything about it but he says that it's becoming quite popular, especially with trailers, heavy loads etc, not to mention airplanes, racing cars and even racing bikes. He says they're going to start charging $8 a tire for the life of the tire, the problem is what about when you're out on the road and need "air".

Has anyone read or heard about this or consider using it themselves yet?

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I see a lot of technical problems to be solved. First and foremost, ALL air has to be evacuated out of the tire before filling with N2. Unless they plan on some "flush" system to do this. Then, they N2 molecule is slightly smaller than N2/O2 air combination of molecules. Ever see a N2 filled dual pane window lose it's N2 gas? Wonder if these tires are using a special "tube" to help prevent leaks?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
derooshb
Established Member

M.O.C. #5218
Nitrogen is better than air in the tires because the pressure doesn't change due to temperature. Therefore the tire has the same footprint all the time. $8.00 a tire seems high. Costco fills there tires with nitrogen for free if you buy the tires from them.
derooshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave,

Actually, according to the literature I'm reading the Nitrogen molecules are larger than the Oxygen ones are. BUT, you're the science teacher, I'm barely a functional adult (everyone here will attest to that!! )

mac
Old 06-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Interesting topic.

Air is about 80% nitrogen anyway, so although the nitrogen molecule (MW=28) is slightly smaller than the oxygen molecule (MW=32), I don't think that is really an issue. Also the gas laws apply the same to each, so I don't think temperature effects are an issue either. Nitrogen is inert and won't react with rubber, but then we don't really have that problem in the inside of tires either, so that is not an issue.

I know my son-in-law use nitrogen in his F-1600 race car tires, and a local tire dealer is offering nitrogen as an option to customers.

What interests me is the possibility of carrying a fairly small cylinder of liquid nitrogen, and being able to use that to inflate my tires without having to carry a compressor. I'm going to look into it some more anyway, but I am not yet sold on it.

I'll be following this thread with interest.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
John,

My neighbor just brought me a brochure, but I did a little research and this is a link to the company that apparently they're using. It might just be a sales pitch but it is rather interesting. I'll stand back and let all you experts that seem to know more about molecules than I do, to discuss.

mac

Whoops, forgot the link..... http://www.rtitech.com/backup/nitrop...page%2Dold.htm
Old 06-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have thought about it, but have decided against for the following reason. While I am towing I run 80 psi in all 4 truck tires. (I run each trailer tire at the rated psi for each specific trailer I have) When I am done towing I drop my truck tires back down to 55 psi for a smoother ride. If I were running nitrogen, the problem would be where to get a "fill up" each and everytime I wanted to tow something. Almost all gas stations/truck stops have free air compressors, so it is much more available while on the road than nitrogen. This is what works for me, but as times change and nitrogen becomes more available on the road, I may end up switching over.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
When we put new tires on my son's Toyota a while back Costco filled them with nitrogen . They told me you can top up with air if you have a tire go low and then just stop at any Costco when you have time and they will re fill the tire with nitrogen.

For now I agree with Montana Sky and I will stick with air on my TV and Montana. I think nitrogen is more of a marketing idea than a real improvement in tire technology. Both my TV and Monty Chinese Missions kept there pressure on my recent 3500 mile trip. I don't feel nitrogen would have made much of a difference.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
That's what I told my neighbor too, "what, now my compressor is outdated"????

mac
Old 06-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Its a Marketing gimmic. You can't Evacutate a tire unless you vaccuum pump it down to about 10 microns and you can't do that unless you have a truely solid material vessal like pipe or a pressure tank. Thats why we pump down an A/C system before filling it with refrigerant. The other factor is heat. Indy car tires run above 180 degrees at 200 MPH. The problem is expansion with air which changes the car set up. So, unless your running solid steel hollow tires and can pump a deep vaccuum on them or your runing your Monty at 200 miles an hours, its simple. Stay with air.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #11
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
This whole nitrogen seems to be a lot of BS to me. Years have gone buy before, and have not have to use this. I think this is a marketing skeem!!!! My opion only!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
I have to tell you guys that keeping Paul caught up on everything that is happening here can sometimes be difficult if not funny....Today I went to the Veterans Home to see him and I was telling him about how you were all talking about how they had been putting hydrogen in the tires and the trailer tires.....The whole room was full of vets and they all started cracking up...I looked at Paul and ask him what was so funny and he gave me this look like boy are you dumb...He said "Kathi, I think you meant nitrogen not hydrogen didn't you?"
I couldn't remember which one it was so I told him I wasn't sure...He informed me of the right one...I guess I had better start writing things down from now on. Then I think I will print out things to...See, women isn't always right! Just most of the time!!!! LOL.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #13
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Hmmm, think I might try helium in my tires. Might take care of a little overweight problem I have.
I work for a trucking company that has a large fleet of trucks. Our R&D department did a test in conjunction with a major tire manufacture at a test track and determined we would put nitrogen generators in all our tire shops across the country. They quote better mileage, cooler running tires etc but bear in mind how many tires a 18 wheeler has and the miles they run each day. Lets just put it this way - no more than I run with the Monty it is not worth taking somewhere to have nitro put in them. I am not against it as I have seen the benefits where I work, just something that in my little application doesn't compute.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I deliver HELIUM for Praxair......if you want I can send a "jumbo" your way

by the way a loaded Helium trailer feels the same when empty.
a couple of picts...same as I haul. top 2 picts
A couple of pictures
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #15
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Another pict this is HYDROGEN
Please reduce the picture to comply with MOC Policy. Thank you. RVWheels MOC Admin..... http://i6.tinypic.com/123tml4.jpg[/IMG][/img]
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #16
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Aviation tires are filled with it as well. I believe due to the atmospheric changes with elevation and stabler than air.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

I have a rule to only tow my Montana under 30,000 feet above sea level .

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:15 AM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
hahahahaha
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote