Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2006, 05:30 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
12 Volt air compressor

dcowie and Old GI,
Here's the Viair knock off at Harbor Freight, it looks good...
I would replace those cheap end clamps with heavy duty ones, or better yet, hard wire it.
I had my Viair mounted under the hood on my old Excursion.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93186
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Thanks Ozz, I looked under the hood of my F350 and I don't enough space to put anything. But we have a Harbor Freight about 15 miles form hereso I'll go take a look. I think I want a set of Hadley Air Horns also. If Mama Ok's it.

Pete, Waltraud (Wally), Brian(Grandson) and Hannah (Big German Shepherd).
2005 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW FX4 Crew Cab 6.0 Turbo Diesel, w/tow boss package, dual batteries and alternators. Reese 16K fifth wheel and a 2005 Montana 2955RL.
IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/1115lk2.jpg[/IMG
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Old GI,
Take her out to the Olive Garden, sample some house wine and schmooze her into it! You may end up doing the dishes and vacuuming for a week, by getting caught trying, but it might work.
I stuck my vacuum pump on the skid plate under the tranny area-just fits. There's a picture floating around here somewhere. let me know if you want me to round it up.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Old 09-12-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
I checked out the link and it appears to be exactly what I want and the price is right.
I have a Harbor Freight just down the road from me in FL, so will make my purchase when I get home in a few weeks.
I am planning to install it in my RV front bay between the generator and the battery. I will have my dealer permanently wire it to my RV electrical system. I presume I could run it off shore power or my generator.
Thanks for the info.

Doug & LInda,Estero, FL
2005 2980RL
2005 F-250 SD 4x2 6.0L V8 Diesel 5 SPD Auto
Reis 16k
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #5
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Ozz, pictures would be nice. I am not too mechanically inclined but I have a son who was a Ford Service Director until he went into business for himself, a case of Corona's ought to do it.

Pete, Waltraud (Wally), Brian(Grandson) and Hannah (Big German Shepherd).
2005 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW FX4 Crew Cab 6.0 Turbo Diesel, w/tow boss package, dual batteries and alternators. Reese 16K fifth wheel and a 2005 Montana 2955RL.
IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/1115lk2.jpg[/IMG
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here you go, Pete;
Compressor on truck;
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...pressor011.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...pressor012.jpg
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-21-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
O.K. Ozz, now I am sucked in (I tried to ignore this topic, but I had yet another adventure trying to find a place to adjust tire pressure while hooked up). My local Harbor Freight had the compressor for $49.99 ($10 less than the web site) so it was too good a deal to pass up even with the CA sales tax. I have been playing with it today and it really works well. Took the air pressure in a tire from 65 to to 80 lb. in just a few minutes. Far faster than I can locate a service station with access and decent air pressure. While it is very usable in its portable configuration with battery clamp attachments, I really like the idea of mounting it permanently.

I have a few questions about your setup:
  • In picture "...012.jpg" it looks like you piped the output through flex line to ridged (galvanized?), then back to flex for the run to the rear (I think somewhere you said the access connection was in the rear bumper). In the ridged section, I recognize the shut off valve and the tee to split the output line. What is the first Tee (on the right for? Is that a pressure guage?
  • I assume the split of the output line is to feed the air horn tank. Does this mean you run the compressor all the time or does your model shut off when it reaches a pre-set pressure?
  • Is that wire running to rightmost Tee to control/limit air pressure to the tank?
  • Did you hardwire the compressor to the battery? If yes, did you use the existing cord (looks like 16g) or step up to something heavier?
  • How do you control the on/off function. Flipping the switch on the back of the compressor isn't going to happen once it is installed under the truck. Did you use a relay in the main power line and a switch to trigger it? Where did you mount the switch?
Hope you don't mind all the questions, I am trying to understand what (and why) you did it the way you did.

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Carl and Susan!
Sitting here in Manitou Springs Colorado-pretty nice. Our park, Pikes Peak RV Park, is small but in the trees and by the creek.
Cool Beans..
I am glad you bought the pump, it will come in so handy. I used mine when we pulled into the first truck stop, aired my truck's air bags up, then the air ride air bags. When we got here, we aired up the leveling air bags under the tires. Sue aired up both bicycle tires as well.
OK, the pressure switch is a must. I think mine holds at 140#, I would have to look. The first tee is for that, then it goes to the air horn tank, it cycles on the pressure switch, (as you already figured out)
I stepped up the wire size one larger than the wire on the compressor, I think 10, can't remember. Go one size larger than you have as well, should be fine.
I used two relays, one off the fan on the heat, A/C motor, (it runs all the time when the motor is running, that relay powers the coil on the heavy duty relay, so there is light power draw on the fan. I fused it up under the hood, I will just pull the fuse if any problems, you could switch it.
You can add a small 10# air tank, mount it under the truck, and put a ball valve on it for more air capacity.
These compressors are so quick, I didn't do it.
Hope that helps, I'll find a picture of the wires under the hood and post it.
Good luck on this!
Ozz
Old 09-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here is a picture of the wiring for all my stuff under the hood.
Relays from auto parts store.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...pressor004.jpg
Old 10-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Ozz: Questions 1>What size is the thread on the outlet of the compressor? (metric?) 2> How big of air tank did you use? 3>Where did you find the tank. (boneyard?)

Thanks
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Not metric, I think it's 3/8" pipe, I use the Hadley air horn tank, I was planing to use a 10 gallon portable air tank, (which would be best), like at Pep Boys.
No, get a new one, no need to have an explosion from an old rusty one.
Good luck, anything you need, just get back to me.
Ozz