Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Replaceing dining booth with table

This forum has been extremely helpful to me. A few weeks ago I posted a new topic "adding a second battery". Not only did I get exactly the help I needed, but it proved to be a most valuable discussion. I now have the second battery. Same story in regard to installing the Prodigy brake controller. Now this:

We bought our 2955RL right off the lot; the same day we first saw it. We took it as it was, which was fine except that we would have preferred the dining table and chairs rather than the booth. But the booth we got. It clearly has some advantages, but after we looked at new Montanas today at a newby dealer's lot, we again wished we had the table and chairs instead of the booth.

Has anyone ever made that change, either had it done by a dealer/professinal shop or even better have done it yourself? Can it be done? What are the problems? What is involved?

I know of no better place to raise a question like this, so I will be looking and listening.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Padre, the hardest part would be removing the old booth. We don't have the booth so I can't help you with that part. But putting the table and chairs in the new one should be a cinch. They are designed to be screwed to the floor. You should be able to screw it down with no problem anywhere close to where it is supposed to be. We long ago removed the screws on ours and let it sit free. When on the road we took one of the throw rugs and draped it over the end of the table and pushed it up against the side of the slide wall, just in case it rubbed on the wall. Never had any problem. We've since moved the table to another part of the living area but it sat in the slide for a long time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
My husband (the jokester) says just give the grandkids a hammer and a screwdriver and they'll get it out for you. Noooooooooo problem.

Sorry someone else will be along with a much better answer.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
Wish you were here in maryland, we would like to have the booth instead of the free standing table and chairs,i would swap you in a heartbeat,we do not hate the table, just my son brings friends and we would love the extra sleeping area.I would even take it out for you;we did swap the hide-a-bed sofa and the tables position in the fiver, that way we can walk around the bed when my sleepyhead son does not wake up as early as we do, but thats usually around 4:30 in the morning, love the early morning walks in the campgrounds.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
sgf, Maybe some time we can work out a swap! Just shows that preferences depend upon our differing time of life. We are in our 70s and have never had more than another couple to sleep in our RV. Unfortunately, we have no grandchildren, so we can see no prospective use of that extra sleeping area. The best thing about your "offer" is that you and we have the same model: 2955RL. Don't entirely give up. We may get together yet!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Remove the seat cushions and the drawer and You will see a couple of screws that anchor the benches to the floor. The table leg bracket are screwed to the floor. Remove these fasteners and the pieces should come right out. Purchase a table and chairs locally to Your liking and put them in. Secoring a couple of rings to the floor to connect a few straps and run a strap through the table and chair legs to tie everything together for travelling and You are set.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
David & Shirley,

Should be no problem. I did the opposite. I ordered the booth from Keystone and did a self install. There will be a wittness mark for a while on the carpet but this will go away in a short time. As was mentioned look inside under the cushions and you'll see the screws holding the benches down. I did anchor my new booth benches to the wall for more stability but they probably don't do this at the factory. Even if they did the holes should be easy to fill.

We don't use ours for the bed. We wanted the storage the booth offered.

We gave our old table and chairs to our Mountaineer/Montana dealer. They were the Spring Floral color. He may still have the set. It was brand new. The Dealer is "RV Traders" Main St. Mesa AZ. If that's the right color you might give them a call.

Wish you well & Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:04 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I wouldn't worry about screwing the new table down. We tossed out table over a year ago and replaced it with a pedestal table. Never moves around. The only reason to screw down the original was that the leaf went into one end and unbalanced it. Not a problem with the new one.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
My grandaughter would be very upset if she lost her table bed. I can't take it out without her permission.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Our 2955 came with the table and 4 chairs. We immediately removed 2 of the chairs and stored them at Lorraine's parents house.
We unscewed the chair from the floor and pushed it into the corner and re-screwed it to the floor. Our table is now our 'puter desk.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks to all, I am still listening. We are in no hurry about this at all. Thanks for the picture, Glenn. Gruffy, where did you get a pedestal table? My quick search on the internet didn't turn up any table small enough for our use. I did check with my dealer in Florida this morning. The new pedestal table and chairs which are the option in the 2005 model Montana would cost over $600. This is a nice set. We saw them yesterday in a 2005 2955RL. That's what got us started down this path.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:35 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Gruffy, and others with the pedestal table.

I have to ask, probably a really silly question, but have to ask:

Do you still have 4 chairs?? IF you only have 2 chairs, how do you arrange them so that you are not knocking your knees and feet on that pedestal??

Me thinks I am having one of those senior moments, I cannot see something here!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote