Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Another newbe thekennys

Hello Montanans

By way of introduction we Mike and Diane Kenny out of Santa Fe NM, recently bought a
2007 Montana 3400RL that was pretty intact as built, no bells and wistles.yet

We previously owned a 1995 Excel Legacy 26.5’ that we had a basic solar package put on so we could travel and boondock halftime +

We’re planning to ¾ time and travel a little from now on. This winter in AZ, then back to the east coast for family reunion and exploring.

I hope to get the benefit of you guys in the alterations and upgrades that will make our Montana the place to be

Planed Alterations

Propane freestanding heater with thermostat

Move over the solar from the Excel as is functional and costly
3 k 36x26’ panels
Blue-sky 2000e solar controller
6 6v interstate batteries
12-v fuse
Go power 1750 modified sine wave inverter
Remote inverter switch

Need to add
Full sine inverter size? W/remoter shutoff
Battery mongering system w/ shunt
Battery temperature sensor
Power switching system

Mike, Diane, O’Malley

thekennys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome! There are those who have made the mods you are pursuing. Besides the forum, a great place to learn about good mods is the Fall Rally in Goshen, IN. Lots of owners to share ideas and factory folks around.

I don't know how many miles the rig has on it, but there are some fairly common upgrades that many have done. To the suspension, Dexter heavy duty shackles and wet bolt kits are common. A few of us have retrofitted with the LevelUp automatic leveling system or the Big Foot leveling system. I have changed out all my interior lighting (both 12 volt and 120 volt) to LED. It saves a lot of power and certainly be beneficial in boondocking.

Read Ozz's posts. He has made many mods and probably is the mod champion.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Welcome, sounds as if you are going to fit right in. Mods are a constant topic on the forum. Ozz is the Champ. If the tires happen to be Marathons, or other China made brand, you should consider changing to a G rated tire. Many here have had tire problems and have upgraded to GY G614s, as well as other brands. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X3 on both welcome to the forum and Ozz being the champ. You'll find great ideas and help here everyday. We're headed for Albuquerque and then Arizona starting next Wednesday. New Mexico is one of our favorite states. Hope to meet you down the road someday.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Glad to have you join us!!! Even though your not a newbie to the rv lifestyle you will still glean a wealth of information and friendship during your time here. We look forward to all your future posts!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think they meant chump Mike..
(Mike and I have been talking, he has got the Boondocking down pat.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
boondocking down with the older rig 1995 Excel which will have it's last journey through Quartzsite to Senator's Wash where it'll be stripped ov solar and dedicated as the mother in law unit to our Montana.

To those who like New Mexico it's a great place to boondock in the state parks for reasonable. Annual camping pass then $4 nite for 30A + water.

I'll be asking many questions as this is the last unit i'll ever need

mikey
Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Now now Ozz, DQDick meant "champ" not chump and I'll agree with him. You are always so rough on yourself, but it's your sense of humor, isn't it? Along with other members who have been so helpful, if all the help you've all provided make you chumps, then what does that make members like me who aren't near as capable? LOL, you are the champs and I am the chump. Now, that that's settled....

Welcome thekennys. Many of us members are experienced RVers or campers or other stuff. It's nice to have a specific place to go to share and you sure have some great projects to improve your rig. That's a nice list to start with.

We do love Santa Fe, as well as the rest of NM. We lived in Albuquerque for almost 2 years and we spent many weekends touring all around - Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Deming, Raton, too many too mention. It's a beautiful state!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Lived in Abq for over 10 years and the only thing I can recall GOOD was that it was only 3 hours to Colorado. Nothing really bad about the place, it's brown and just a nice place to visit, and you need gunship support in some areas of town.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Remember there is more than the one town in New Mexico USA in fact even though it's the largest it's not even the capital. There is beauty in the desert and also the mountains as well

mikey
Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Agree, "the city different" does have great food and a couple great golf courses. Love the Angel Fire area.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Welcome fellow New Mexicans.

I was born in Carrizozo, New Mexico, and I have lived in many different towns in the state over the last 53 years, including Albequerque, Santa Fe, Clovis, Ft. Sumner, Tularosa, Claunch, and Alamogordo. I currently live 9 miles north of Texico, NM. You are right, there are lots of better cities than Albequerque in our state.

When you go camping, which is your preferred area? We spend a lot of time in the Red River, Eagle Nest, and Angel Fire area. Mostly Eagle Nest as we have a place there we have been working on when we have time.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
thekennys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11454
Haven't hade time yet to explore much up north east, but Navajo Lake, Lake Herion, El Vado,
El Caballo, Percha Dam and Rockhound. Lets connect when the weather is better and after our family reunion back east.
Does anyone have places to recomend in western New York. Pennsylvania and New Jersey

mike