Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mainer

We had a built in generator in our 2005 Montana. It was very quiet and we were able to start it inside from the bedroom closet. What you should also consider is, that if you have a problem with the generator you have to haul your 5th wheel to an Onan dealer to fix it. (we had to do that twice) Also the generator needs to be started once a month with a load on it to keep it up and running.

We recently traded for a 2011 and chose not to get a built in generator. Right now we do not have any but are thinking of solar and/or portable generator.

Just something else to think about and consider....
Thanks mainer, another good point to consider is repair you lose your trailer. I'm also wondering as I don't know how much they vibrate, but we are getting the 3750FL and are wondering about the TV and other electronics being right above the generator if it will affect them at all.

Thanks for the reply!

Greg

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

I just bought two Honda 2000i (one a companion) generators. I had been carrying a Honda EU3000i gen in the basement, but at 160lbs+ with fuel, it was too heavy for me to lift in and out without back pain! With the two Honda 2000s hooked in // I can run my solo AC. One alone will handle the battery charging , and individually a microwave, coffee pot etc. I store both in the front battery/controls compartment. I like the flexibility that that the two provide, and I can handle the approx 50lbs each OK.

I have no experience with on-board units, so can't help with that issue.
Sounds like the two 2000's are pretty popular. Yeah, the 3000's I wouldn't be able to do, the darn 2000's will probably be too heavy actually as I have several bad discs. Anyone know if twin 2000's would run 2 AC units, a 15 and a 13.5? Looks good on paper, but.....
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
2 EU2000s can only run one A/C along with other stuff since this is about 30amp equivalent. With a 50 amp equivalent there is actually a 3 unit parallel cable you can buy with a 50 amp panel so you can add a 3rd EU2000 to get what you need for 50 amp equivalent to run 2 ACs with other stuff.

I have seen this solution (I can provide the link if you PM me) but it's expensive since EU2000s cost around $1,000 and the panel another $500. I don't know how good it works and I know many Honda dealers don't know of it and would probably say don't do that, but why shouldn't it work? Hondas are quiet, can be taken in for service and are portable. They just don't run long before running out of fuel, but you can build or buy a fuel system to increase the runtime.

For this reason many just go with a single, less complicated solution. Since I have 2 EU2000s I might consider the 3 genny system if: I got a second A/C, boondocked more often, created a fuel cell system to lengthen the run time before fill ups, didn't have any back problems, could secure all this carefully and hit the lottery to pay for this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

For this reason many just go with a single, less complicated solution. Since I have 2 EU2000s I might consider the 3 genny system if: I got a second A/C, boondocked more often, created a fuel cell system to lengthen the run time before fill ups, didn't have any back problems, could secure all this carefully and hit the lottery to pay for this.

Thanks Art. Man this gets complicated. I noticed they have the 3000's which can tie together, but also the 6500 would do it all if I can figure out a way to store it securely in the truck and keep it dry... All this planning is "fun", but there is so much to consider.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
The optional Onan Marguis Gold 5500 LP unit is super quiet (imo) and will easily run both of our factory installed AC unit's and then some.....
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #26
dpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11617
I suggest you.check. some of the motorhome salvage companies... They have diesel units available at very good prices... They can also be truck mounted... without the gas risks... Any gen could be placed in a properly vented tool box with sound deadners...
I opted for the storage space and place gen in truck... There are also LP Onans in the 2800 w size.... I think they are called Marquis... And they are very low and compact....
Good luck...
dpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

If you have a bad back (like I do), a built in generator is the answer. I have one and I don't have to wrestle with it at all. The issue with weight then is lifting the propane tanks but I seem to like that better than the generator wrestling. The built in will also run the AC when I want it. JMHO.

Walt
Thanks Walt... yes, unfortunately I have a pretty bad back. Trying to get back into RVing so am getting the level-up too so don't have to do all the bending and stooping of that part of set-up. Do you have the Onan 5500? I have heard they're tempermental, but I am wondering if the proper service is completed if they are okay. One dealer said they are like a foreign sports car to keep running Figure the last thing you want when its 100 degrees out is a finicky generator.... Thanks for your reply.

Greg
Hi again... We have an Onan 5500. I think it's great. I do exercise it about every 4 to 6 weeks as per the manual. While doing this exercise I often watch TV in the bedroom right over it. There is some slight noise and vibration but that's to be expected. It has always started for me without a problem as long as there is propane and a charged battery. It does use plenty of propane and you can jump the battery just like you do with a car. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sniperduce

The optional Onan Marguis Gold 5500 LP unit is super quiet (imo) and will easily run both of our factory installed AC unit's and then some.....
Thanks sniperduce. Still do like the idea of having it all right in the rig, ready to go and not have to worry about moving something around or go out to get it set up and running.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #29
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpilot

I suggest you.check. some of the motorhome salvage companies... They have diesel units available at very good prices... They can also be truck mounted... without the gas risks... Any gen could be placed in a properly vented tool box with sound deadners...
I opted for the storage space and place gen in truck... There are also LP Onans in the 2800 w size.... I think they are called Marquis... And they are very low and compact....
Good luck...
Thanks dpilot, Vented tool box, never thought about that. Found some ideas online with that search, and now see some nice receiver mounted ideas too.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #30
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
[/quote]

Hi again... We have an Onan 5500. I think it's great. I do exercise it about every 4 to 6 weeks as per the manual. While doing this exercise I often watch TV in the bedroom right over it. There is some slight noise and vibration but that's to be expected. It has always started for me without a problem as long as there is propane and a charged battery. It does use plenty of propane and you can jump the battery just like you do with a car. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck.

Walt
[/quote]
Thanks Walt, That would work pretty good actually because we hope to get out at least once a month anyway, so we would just make it a point to use the gen a little each trip. Then I just have to see about larger propane tanks or some extras?? How big of a battery do these gens have, never have used or even been around an RV generator?

Greg
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 AM   #31
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
They use the existing rig battery. This is the primary reason I went to a two battery set-up, if I unknowingly drain a battery, I have the batteries switched with a "Blue Seas" marine isolator switch, and I can switch the battery, start the generator, and charge the dead battery. Kind of a primitive set-up, but it works for us.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #32
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
One other item to think about is security of the generator. A few years back there seemed to be a rash of theft of the portable generators. Several were locked with a chain or cable but they still wound up with legs and walking off. Lots of different ideas came up to better secure the portable gensets.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #33
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We opted for two Hondas, back in 2006. We carried them in the front compartment and found we didn't use them that much because of the awkwardness required to get them out, especially when hooked up to the TV. So, we made a carrier, as have others, like Ozz, and they are secured with stainless steel straps, security bolts and padlocked stainless over the nuts - this makes them difficult to get up and walk away, although anything is possible. It takes me about 10 minutes to get them off to change the oil and I have the keys!

Now that we have them on our carrier, we boondock quite a bit. We made up a 6 gallon quick connect system for extra gas supply and find that we can go several days in fairly warm weather without refueling. When we aren't using the gennys, we are on the Internet or reading a Nook, or just hanging out and enjoying the scenery. When it's time to run one air conditioner, I run one Honda at full bore, the other on Econo-mode.

We made up a short cord with 50 amp female and 30 amp male that stays connected to the main generator (we have the old style with the hooded panel). All we do is connect the female side to the trailer and start the main one up - if we need more power we connect the second one with the pigtails (we don't travel with them connected to the second genny because we're worried that they might somehow break).

Now, we have a cover for them...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

They use the existing rig battery. This is the primary reason I went to a two battery set-up, if I unknowingly drain a battery, I have the batteries switched with a "Blue Seas" marine isolator switch, and I can switch the battery, start the generator, and charge the dead battery. Kind of a primitive set-up, but it works for us.
Bingo
Thanks, for some reason I thought they had their own batteries? Do the stand-alone ones like a Honda have their own battery to start it?

Will check out isolators (he says as his list of follow-ups is now 986 iems long )

We had two 6-volts tied together before, as were told this had the most hours for dry camping. I use cpap at night, but the two batteries would get us by for days on the two 6-volts. We got pretty good at conserving, but it would be great to have the gen to charge when needed.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #35
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RickW

One other item to think about is security of the generator. A few years back there seemed to be a rash of theft of the portable generators. Several were locked with a chain or cable but they still wound up with legs and walking off. Lots of different ideas came up to better secure the portable gensets.
Thanks Rick, yeah this is a definite concern. A good bolt cutter and I would think they'd be off and well, not running, but taking it anyway...
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #36
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

We opted for two Hondas, back in 2006. We carried them in the front compartment and found we didn't use them that much because of the awkwardness required to get them out, especially when hooked up to the TV. So, we made a carrier, as have others, like Ozz, and they are secured with stainless steel straps, security bolts and padlocked stainless over the nuts - this makes them difficult to get up and walk away, although anything is possible. It takes me about 10 minutes to get them off to change the oil and I have the keys!

Now that we have them on our carrier, we boondock quite a bit. We made up a 6 gallon quick connect system for extra gas supply and find that we can go several days in fairly warm weather without refueling. When we aren't using the gennys, we are on the Internet or reading a Nook, or just hanging out and enjoying the scenery. When it's time to run one air conditioner, I run one Honda at full bore, the other on Econo-mode.

We made up a short cord with 50 amp female and 30 amp male that stays connected to the main generator (we have the old style with the hooded panel). All we do is connect the female side to the trailer and start the main one up - if we need more power we connect the second one with the pigtails (we don't travel with them connected to the second genny because we're worried that they might somehow break).

Now, we have a cover for them...
Thanks Michael, appreciate the feedback. That's a really nice cargo carrier on the back. I like how its mounted onto the underside of the trailer and not just in the receiver. Do you remember what brand that is or where you got it? I really like the idea of having two units, and can use only one if needed, just worried about them strolling off in the middle of the night.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #37
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
We're hopeful we can join in this discussion with an inquiry without appearing to highjack the thread. We too are in the process of getting ready to order a new unit, a 3580. Putting aside all the campground/boondocking "choice" issues, strickly from a beancounters point of view a new Onan onboard runs about $6K. At $40 a night for a typical hookup it would only take 150 nights to reach breakeven by boondocking.

What I don't know, and hope to bring to the thread, is the daily cost of operation to add to the above numbers. While I understand everyone runs a different load, what would the daily cost of propane for an Onan be and what would the daily cost of gas for the Honda's be? Is one more economical than the other?

I'm of the mind these questions would be useful for making the choice of onboard/outboard/gas/propane as well as the other issues discussed.

Cheers!

Robert & Kerri
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #38
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The Honda 2000 series are pull start and do not have a battery. When you get to the 3000 watt models and larger with a starter, they are equipped with a small lawn mower type battery. The 6 volts are the way to go for dry camping, our needs are a little different since DW will not consider camping anywhere without full hookups (teen daughters and a constant need for the stackable washer and dryer to be in use!)
Bingo
Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #39
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Onan uses about a gallon of propane an hour for 5500 watt model. Honda 2000 will run for about 8-10 hours (eco-mode) on a gallon of gasoline. My Kipor 3000 will run for about 11-12 hours on 2 and a half gallons of gasoline. The propane is by far the more expensive route, but the convenience is what sold it for us. We also swapped the 30 pound tanks for 40 pounds and are thinking of carrying a 20 pound or 30 pound spare.
Bingo
Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #40
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by UpinAK

We're hopeful we can join in this discussion with an inquiry without appearing to highjack the thread. We too are in the process of getting ready to order a new unit, a 3580. Putting aside all the campground/boondocking "choice" issues, strickly from a beancounters point of view a new Onan onboard runs about $6K. At $40 a night for a typical hookup it would only take 150 nights to reach breakeven by boondocking.

What I don't know, and hope to bring to the thread, is the daily cost of operation to add to the above numbers. While I understand everyone runs a different load, what would the daily cost of propane for an Onan be and what would the daily cost of gas for the Honda's be? Is one more economical than the other?

I'm of the mind these questions would be useful for making the choice of onboard/outboard/gas/propane as well as the other issues discussed.

Cheers!

Robert & Kerri
Hi Robert and Kerri,

Good questions. And payoff would even be sooner because you should only be paying about $4000 for the gen and gen prep once you strike a deal. I just can't decide between onboard Onan or portable unit(s). I think above in thread Bingo has some usage numbers that may help you calculate cost of use. Good luck on getting the new trailer.

Greg