Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
Dealer service

From what I have noticed on almost all other forums is that the important item to check out when buying an RV is the service center for the RV dealer where you buy your new RV. Since I will be buying a new Monty in the near future I wonder if there is a forum topic that addresses the forum member's service experience with dealers. Why buy from a dealer that has known problems fixing or servicing a new RV you just bought. With my SOB the first thing I get from a service dept. is 'did you buy from us'. Getting the industry to change to a franchise basis like auto mfg. is to continue to demand that business model. It is pathetic that you can spend over $100,000 on a new RV and get treated worse than you get treated by a dealer who just sold you a $9,000 car. The mfg. need to get their act together because their RV's get a bad rap when their dealers are bad actors.

kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As a future fulltimer where you buy may not be a huge consideration. Moving around the country makes returning to the selling dealer inconvenient.

We are long timers and return to the house periodically. Consequently a good dealer is important to us. We bought our second Montana from our first dealer due to the service and support after the sale. Not to say they are perfect, but they try hard. Given the troubles we have had with this unit, we are very pleased with the service and support they have shown. I see you are in Roseville, CA. You should consider Folsom Lake RV in Sacramento, CA. You can probably find someone somewhere that sells a unit at a cheaper price. But given the way the RV industry works (not that I agree with it), having a good selling dealer with a good service business is worth a few bucks more.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
I have been to Folsom Lake RV and was impressed with the operation but have not had a chance to visit their service dept. and check them out. Glad to hear you have had a good experience.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our selling dealer is here in Ohio about 60 Miles from our S&B. They are excellent dealers. We are also long timers and travel the country. We have not had a problem in a dealer doing work/repairs on our Montana. We always call the Keystone service center first advise them of our problem and they do the rest. we have had excellent service with every dealer we have been at on the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I could really go on and on about this topic. But I have to agree with Carl. We are full timers, spending anywhere from 3 to 7 months in central Illinois and 4 months in Florida. This year is an extensive travel year for us so we will only be in Illinois about 4 months, Florida 4 months, and the other 4 months split between about 12 other states. My point being, where we bought our new Montana probably will not be where we are at when we need a warranty issue addressed. I found out two things in advance about the dealership I purchased from: Lazy Days is one of the largest Montana dealers and makes good deals, but their service department is swamped and doesn't do that good of work. We found the exact unit we wanted in their stock and I was proven correct on both counts. I got an extremely good deal and their service department stinks! I have already ran up against the question from another Montana dealer back here in Illinois "did you buy your unit here?" when I went in to see about warranty work on my furnace recently. After I answered that question they informed me that they were 6 weeks out on service work. My opinion is that if you are full time (don't have a house) and travel, then you should try to deal where you can get the absolute best dollar value. In the first year, if you need warranty work, try to locate a good authorized service department at a dealership close to your location. After that first year you will probably be on an extended warranty so you can pick from a little wider selection of good service departments. Getting reliable repairs/service on these units is probably my biggest concern being full time. It isn't like with your car where you can simply drop it off at the dealership and go home to wait for them to fix it.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
Thanks, when we purchase it will be after we sell the house so we can pay cash and then hit the road only coming back for family events. The transition from house to RV will be interesting, at this point we are thinking of moving into an apt. while we look for a two or three year old Monty and TV then load up and hit the hwy. Can't wait!!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We purchased our Monty about 80 miles away. I've owned several different trailers, a van conversion, a class C before this. Only one came from a dealer nearby and their service turned out to be pathetic (in spite of what we'd been told). I've come to learn that sales is totally different than service, and very few dealers are good at both. And that's not including what others have said about not staying in one place too long (for whatever reason - my wife used to thing that all full timers were really folks in witness protection programs!). The other aspect is if you buy a unit from a dealer with a great service reputation (not from what THEY claim), are you willing to stay in that location forever?

Find a floorplan and options you really like and then go to several dealers to work the best price. At the same time you could research where the best service is. Most likely they won't be the same place, but that's OK.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
kiltedpig,this is one that you should look at right now.
It was bought at Folsom, and in your area. Bill

Searchers
MOC Fanatic

MOC-1685

USA
1462 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2014 : 3:18:04 PM
Because my driver is now checking out the best camping sites in Heaven, a wonderful package deal awaits you just before the summer travel season begins! Asking $47,000 for the Montana and $35,000 for the tow vehicle, but I'd love to sell everything as a unit and will make you a great deal! Available extras, besides the many updates to the rig itself, include the Super Glide hitch, tire pressure monitors, and two 2000 watt Honda generators with parallel kit. Please contact me by private message or at dmoore@snowcrest.net. If your vision is the same as ours, this combo is perfect for you!
Don & Claudia
MOC 1685
2011 3100RL
2009 Dodge 3500 QC SB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 18K SuperGlide
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Next time you need a dealer call the service center and relate your problem and what you need done. They have found a dealer for us then called the dealer and told them we are on the way. They did it in Michigan, and twice in AZ.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #10
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I bought our 37&1/4 from Camping World in Las Vegas I have had no problem getting things done at our closest Camping World here in California or on two different items I did the work myself and camping world Las Vegas sent me what I needed. I am very happy so far with the way Camping World has treated us. Just my experience. Hope this helps you when you decide to do your deal.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We full time and even though we had several warranty issues we were never near the selling dealer. I keep an excel spreadsheet with the good and bad comments on dealers from this forum and I call Keystone Customer Service for recommendations when needed. Have also got one recommendation from Coach-net that proved very useful. So far this has worked out well for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We are both.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #13
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Agree with JandC about Lazydays, great sales experience, service stinks. I've bought 2 Montana's from them and can say from experience. Plus have talked to others that bought mh's and such and have the same feelings.

When I was shopping for G614 tires, Lazyday's wouldn't even work with me on the price. I went to next exit down on I-4 and got a great price from CW and service as promised was right on and correct.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote