Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
I'm not a member of the Structural Issues Club

Title should read "I'm now a member of the Structural Issues Club". (Couldn't figure out how to change the thread title.)

I thought I had a serious, but fairly limited, issue related to welds breaking free on the rear bracket (under the fridge) that supports the driver’s side center/kitchen slide moving in/out. (See pic Bad Weld Pic 1.) By comparison, the same part on the front section of the same slide has its welds still intact. (See pic Good Weld 1)

I took the rig to my local Keystone dealer to have the welds repaired and they looked a little deeper for a root cause. (I’ve dealt with this dealer for many years. I respect their opinions and they operate with a very high level of integrity. I think they know what they’re doing and have done a good job for me over the years. They just don’t sell the Montana line.) They discovered something more serious. (Please see pics of issues under the rig.) I'm being advised to have the factory make these repairs.

Have reached out to Pete's RV in Vermont (the selling dealer) to get the advice of their service manager.

The process begins.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Weld Pic 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Good Weld 1.png
Views:	56
Size:	584.9 KB
ID:	443   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4011.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	444   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4015.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	445   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4016.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	446  

Name:	100_4017.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	447  

chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
What year is your 3791RD?
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pachu View Post
What year is your 3791RD?
2015 is the year..picked it up April 2015.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:52 AM   #4
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
As far as the skirting "sliding" down, that is a pretty common thing with the newer Montanas. Ours was doing it when we picked it up from the dealer. If you remove the black trim above that skirt, you will see just how little is holding the skirting on. It is literally held on by a few staples that are shot into the floor of the camper. Our dealer took off the skirt and put screws with washers behind them, put them back on and recaulked them. Not a big deal. The other things you mentioned, I would really be interested to see what is found.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
"Our dealer took off the skirt and put screws with washers behind them, put them back on and recaulked them. Not a big deal. The other things you mentioned, I would really be interested to see what is found"
After all the crap you went thru on yours and to post the phrase "Not a big deal" is sadly humorous to me. The bottom skirting falling off a fiver seems like a pretty big deal to me. What if you're going down the road at 65 mph, the wind rips the whole sheet off, it ends up wrapped around someone's windshield, and they then plow into another vehicle???
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #6
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
"Our dealer took off the skirt and put screws with washers behind them, put them back on and recaulked them. Not a big deal. The other things you mentioned, I would really be interested to see what is found"
After all the crap you went thru on yours and to post the phrase "Not a big deal" is sadly humorous to me. The bottom skirting falling off a fiver seems like a pretty big deal to me. What if you're going down the road at 65 mph, the wind rips the whole sheet off, it ends up wrapped around someone's windshield, and they then plow into another vehicle???
You are correct, it was humorously maddening after all the other stuff that went wrong with the unit and it's truly SAD as well. However, just last week my buddy, who has the same unit as mine, same year too, was sitting in a campground at Ellsworth Air Force Base in Rapid city, SD and a quick storm came up. He and his family went inside during the storm. Stated not much wind and guessed the top wind speed around 20mph, but it hit the camper from the side and when it was over, the right rear fender skirt had blown off and was laying in the next camp site. Not only that but he also found the right rear wet bolt for the MorRyde suspension was missing!!! He put the skirting back on with an aluminum strip and then hid the strip with the blace strip already there. He also found a Grade 8 bolt to put in the spring eye/hanger to hold it until he can get another wet bolt to him. Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	royrearfenderskirt.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	460   Click image for larger version

Name:	royrearfenderskirt3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	461   Click image for larger version

Name:	royrearfenderskirt4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	462   Click image for larger version

Name:	royrearsuspensionbolt.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	463  
Old 08-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Here are more pics of the missing skirt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	royrearfenderskirt5.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	464   Click image for larger version

Name:	royrearfenderskirt6.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	465   Click image for larger version

Name:	royrearfenderskirt8.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	466   Click image for larger version

Name:	royrearfenderskirt10.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	467  
Old 08-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
And the spring bolt. I apologize for sounding so flippant earlier as yes, this could've been extremely dangerous. We should NEVER have to worry about either of these. I sincerely hope the OP can take to heart that he is not alone and more than a few are in the same boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	royrearsuspensionbolt3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	468   Click image for larger version

Name:	royrearsuspensionbolt4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	469  
Old 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
There is supposed to be a Hexagon shaped piece installed in the spring hangar called Correct track. the spring hangar has an elongated bolt hole to allow for axle alignment correction. If he tows without that piece installed his axle will be out of alignment and most likely will have tire failure! Please inform him as soon as possible.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
There is supposed to be a Hexagon shaped piece installed in the spring hangar called Correct track. the spring hangar has an elongated bolt hole to allow for axle alignment correction. If he tows without that piece installed his axle will be out of alignment and most likely will have tire failure! Please inform him as soon as possible.
You are correct and he knew that. Only problem was that no one could get him one within 4 days. The bolt was put into the slot the original bolt came out of and tightened. He checked the temps and tire wear every hundred miles and made it home safely. No weird tire wear as we were a afraid of. He has since gotten the replacement and got it installed. I found them here for him http://www.trekwood.com/products/511...w-Pressed-Bolt
Old 08-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
You are correct and he knew that. Only problem was that no one could get him one within 4 days. The bolt was put into the slot the original bolt came out of and tightened. He checked the temps and tire wear every hundred miles and made it home safely. No weird tire wear as we were a afraid of. He has since gotten the replacement and got it installed. I found them here for him http://www.trekwood.com/products/511...w-Pressed-Bolt
Didn't know this story was past tense. I'm glad He made it home safely
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
Didn't know this story was past tense. I'm glad He made it home safely
His travel day was the day I posted this. He made it fine. I guess I should have been a little more clear.
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote