Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
What's the least y'all would expect?

As the vast majority of you know, we are fulltiming in Seward, Alaska. We are staying at a campground that I'm not going to name just yet, but it does have the word "RESORT" in the name. I'll tell you where we are exactly after I get some input.

First, please remember that I grew with Disney World in Florida as my backyard, and in my humble opinion, Disney is the ultimate RESORT. Please keep in mind the word resort.

This couple bought this campground in April of 2007 (neither of them have camped), change the name and stick out a sign. They claim to be open from January to September. There are 10 campsites and about half a dozen cabins on the lake. Pretty, pretty area. Here's the rub.

1. They claim to be open, but we don't have water at the site. We do have 50 amps and sewer. Now, before all y'all get up in arms about it's Alaska and it's freezing cold and how do you expect them to run water to the site. Let me explain, it can be done. It's called proper plumbing, hot water and the ability to turn the water on and off at each site. So, Bernie is having to run a 75 foot water hose (not drinking hose) to their pump house once a day to fill up our tank. This allows us to both shower, wash a couple loads of clothes and start dishes.

2. There are no amenities at this "RESORT". No TV, no internet, no phone, nothing. If we need to check e-mail, check the bank account, file taxes electronically, we have to drive to the office, sit in the car and pray to God we can sign on. Because most of the time, the office is closed.

3. The sign says they are open from January to September. However, the husband works on the oil fields up north so he's gone 2 weeks every month and the wife goes to Anchorage weekly. She leaves on Monday afternoon and doesn't return until after supper on Thursday night. So, I'm still working on how they are open without being here.

Yes, yes, yes. We looked at the website (slim as it may be) and spoke with them prior to coming here. And the reason we had to get here so quickly is because Bernie started his new job (which is going super by the way). We are only here because the campground we wanted to get into (and will eventually move to) is under 11 feet of snow. He's moving it as fast as he can, but that's a job.

So, all that said, if a campground says they are a resort and they are open. What would you expect as the minimum of amenities that they should offer while open?

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
First problem,

THEY HAVE NEVER CAMPED!

They have no clue. Have you offered to teach them?? Let them stay in your rig for a weekend?? SIGHHH

They need to do some improvements, or change their operating months. SIGHH
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Resort is just a word. Some of the best campgrounds we've stayed at did not have Resort in the name. In some cases the word Resort just means they think they can charge more. Also one of our favorite places only had the office open twice a day for an hour. I'm not to sure I would expect a lot in Alaska the first part of March. I hope you have talked nicely to them for their take on the situation.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Maybe this is a boondocking resort? I guess if I was paying for a site I would expect water, sewer, and electricity. TV would be nice at a resort, and maybe a hot tub :-).
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Besides the basic ammenities (full hook up) I would expect a person to be available during normal busines hours (9-5). These are the bare minimums for private park camping. Not having anyone responsible available for days on end is not acceptable to me. I would expect a "Resort" to offer more than the basic site. Game Room/Rec area, laundry, showers, and some type of activity program. Any thing less is a camp. Bob

PS: You are off the map too far North.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Yep, we've tried to tenderly educate them. They have asked questions and we have had educational moments. You can literally see the lightbulb light up. I too have camped in some places that by their name and/or ads, I had grave reservations about. Some of the best places. However, if you call yourself a resort and offer nothing, maybe resort is the wrong word to use.

By the way, a campsite with sewer and electricity - $600 a month. That's wayyyyyyy more than in town.

Oh, and did I mention only one bathroom for the whole place?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Water running at each site. Minimum
Electric at each site. Minimum
Sewer at each site. Minimum
And a minimum charge for these minimums.

And that would be the least I would expect at a campground. If
they say resort-I guess I would expect alot more would be available (a shade tree,
wi-fi, cable TV,laundry facilities,picnic table,a little space, hot tub, pool and friendly attendants available) and
included and would expect to pay more for it. We are at a RV Resort now and can't even step
outside without hitting our heads on the slides of the motorhome parked next to us. It's all in the interpretation
I guess.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I just want to say you have my utmost admiration for living in those conditions. I think you should pull up some campgrounds on the internet and show them what real campgrounds offer and the price for those offerings. Not that you are not thankful for what you currently have but it would take that much to offer so much more. Heating tape is a good invention and I'm sure there are other ways for sewer and water at the least.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I think what makes this worse is that the owner is more interested in fixing up the "lodge" than the campground. Her intent is to add a coffee and ice cream bar, nice seating, etc. However, directly beind the counter (no wall or curtain separation) are 2 showers with 'short' curtains, a bathroom and washer and dryer - let me reiterate - all visible while she is making your coffee and dipping your ice cream. We asked about building a wall and she said she felt it was not necessary because she liked the open feel. I think this will help with the mentality of the situation - Pretty is important, practicality comes last. Her family doesn't watch TV so she tried to convince us that it was not worth watching TV.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I guess I have a question!!!!! Is there anyone else in this RESORT??? I would call this exclusive boondocking as mentioned above. As soon as I could move, (if I wanted the camping hookups) I would find a real campground and make sure I told everyone about the resort. You can boondock on BLM land for FREE in most states as it is Federal land. Just my 2-1/2 cents worth---- JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:59 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Tammy, I have to ask, is there a pool and is it heated? Just kidding, but at a "resort", I would think that would be just one of the amenities here, but not in Alaska.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
If it were me and I know I have a short fuse!! I would adjust my payment to them accordingly. I would check off the so called amenities one by one and divide the monthly cost. Then I would subtract the non use items and pay them the difference.They advertise a full hookup and other things so I would expect them to live up to their end of the deal. Why sould you and others have to pay to fix the lodge when you are not getting the service that was advertised. Let them take you to small claims court if they dare. They have not lived up to what you paid for, You have there brochures to show when they open and what they provide. You should not be held hostage,because they also know the other campground is buried in snow and you have no where else to go.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tammy, Having lived in the bush for a couple years (St. Marys), I got tired of seeing the roadhouses they call hotels. In my opinion, there are no resorts in Alaska. If you want to see a resort look up Voyager RV Resort. In travelling down the Alcan I stayed in several "Resorts". As stated earlier, this is just a way to charge more money from folks. This seemed to be a way of life in Alaska, paying extra for shipping for everything, shoddy service from lack of qualified personnel, non professional service people all over the state, But Hey, This is the last frontier, what do you expect. was always a good question.

In my opinion there are probably very few RV "Resorts" across the country. To me a "Resort" conjures up a place that is totally self sufficient. You should not have to leave the resort to get basic needs met and there should be plenty of activities to keep you busy. And I don't mean hauling a water hose everyday to fill your fresh water tank.

I know there is not much regulation of these places. I try and go by the ratings in TL or Woodalls but even they can lead you astray. Of course, in your case, you are almost "Stuck" with what you can get and don't have much to say about what is available. Someone told me once "If you want to make it in Alaska, you have to accept the lifestyle"! That's why I am fulltiming and have no plans of returning to Alaska. I had too much of the "Good Life"!

I, do However, love Seward and especially the 4th of July activities. I think the people doing Mt Marathon are "one brick short of an outhouse" lol, but its fun to watch them.

I can only wish you the best of luck and hope you make it through the rest of winter, whenever that will be this year......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #14
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Phil, I agree with you wholeheartedly. We, too, lived in the bush (Bethel) for 2 years. Thank God that is over with. We love Alaska and am here because we want to be - thus dealing with stuff like this is part of everyday life. One of the finest RV/Marina resorts we have ever frequented (many, many times) is in Hilton Head. The place we are now is just, well...

The other campground we want to move to (and will asap) isn't near as pretty, but it has everything you could want: free breakfast, free shuttles to tourist sites, large sites with FULL hookup, among many others.

I went back last night and re-read some of their paraphanalia about this "RESORT" and really see the issues. They claim full hookup when at least 4 of their sites share a dump station.

We will be moving and I will be happy.

FYI: I write this sitting in my car in the parking lot of the office because, even though they are here, the office is closed and locked.......
Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 AM   #15
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Good Luck on the next place. I think I would have left this one yesterday if it would have been possible...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Deadeye, I forgot to answer your question. No, no one else is here. We are it - at least in the campground. There have been some locals, over the 5 or 6 weeks that we've been here, who have come down to stay in the cabins for a weekend. But, nope, we are it.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #17
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Tammy and Bernie sounds as if it is the Last Resort
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:01 AM   #18
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I believe that 'Resort' should have minimum E/W/S, Cable TV, WI-FI, laundry, and sufficient modern showers. I generally find that it also means you pay more than it is worth.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote